Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and replace with variable using sed or awk Post 302437775 by raghavendra.cse on Friday 16th of July 2010 06:44:22 AM
Old 07-16-2010
i am using ksh it is fialing with invalid option

Code:
sed: illegal option -- i

---------- Post updated at 05:44 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:42 AM ----------

i achived it using

Code:
while read all; do

find=$(echo $all| awk -F"," '{print $2}' )
   rep=$(echo $all| awk -F"," '{print $1}' )
   echo "$find and $rep \n" 
   sed -e "s/^$find/$rep/g" email.temp | grep "$rep" | grep -v "_" >> email.file

done < r3

Last edited by radoulov; 07-16-2010 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace the value in a variable

I have a variable whose value is I="user1:x:1100:1200:ID for user1:/home/user1:/bin/ssh-dummy-shell" I want to replace the last part '/bin/ssh-dummy-shell' with '/bin/true' I tried using sed but it garbled sed 's/\/bin\/ssh-dummy-shell/\/bin\/true' $I Thanks for the help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aajmani
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace variable

Is there an easy way of doing this cat file1 jkasjhjgfg LTRIM(RTRIM(aa_bb_cde)) aragsfdg LTRIM(RTRIM(aa_bb_cde)) aregfafdgfg sdgsfdagdfg gadfg eafgsadgsa asdgsfdgag LTRIM(RTRIM(aa_bb_cde)) rfghsdfhd I want to replace each occurence of LTRIM(RTRIM($x)) with LENGTH(LTRIM(RTRIM($x)))=0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sed/awk] find info and replace

Hi :) I have some problems with "FOR"... I have a text file in this format: name1 www.link1/random_number name2 www.link2/random_number name3 www.link3/random_number ... (Names and info changes) Now, I need: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aspire
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a column that has '' to NULL in a comma delimited using awk or sed

Hi this is my first time posting ever. I'm relatively new in using AWK/SED, I've been trying many a solution. I'm trying to replace the 59th column in a file where if I encounter '' then I would like to replace it with the word NULL. example 0 , '' , '' , 0 , 195.538462 change it to 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gumal901
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a certain string in a file and replace it with a value from another file using sed/awk?

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and new to sed/awk programming too !! I need to find particular string in file1(text file) and replace it with a value from another text file(file2) the file2 has only one line and the value to be replaced with is in the second column. file 1: (assert (=... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
21 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace with variable -sed

Hi, I have a ksh script where I am trying to mask the password in the log files. $loc - is my directory $PGUIDE_DB_USER_PSW - is a variable that holds the password I am looking for find $loc/logs -type f -exec sed -i "s/$PGUIDE_DB_USER_PSW/*****/"g {} \; I get an error: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitlib
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk -Find and Replace

All, I have thousands of lines in a file with following format DATA=_ONE_XXX_YYY_CCC_HHHG_ DATA1=_GGG_JJJJ_HHH_UUU_JJJJ_HHHH_LLL_ DATA3=_MMM_GG_NN_QQQQ_FFF_III_ I want to replace _ with . by ignoring the first (=_) and last (_) So that out put should looks like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed/awk to find negative numbers and replace with 1?

Greetings. I have a three column file, and there are some numbers in the second column that are <1. However I need all numbers to be positive, thus need to replace all those numbers with just one. I feel like there must be a simple way to use awk to find these numbers and sed to replace but can't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk/sed to replace variable in file

Hi All I have one file with multiple lines in it, each line has static text and some variable enclosed in <<filename>> as well. e.g. as below 123, <<file1.txt>> this is my name, I stay at <<city.txt>> Thanks for visiting 348384y, this is my name <<fileabc.txt>>, I stay at near the mall of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
8 Replies
GETOPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 GETOPT(1)

NAME
getopt -- parse command options SYNOPSIS
args=`getopt optstring $*` set -- `getopt optstring $*` DESCRIPTION
getopt is used to break up options in command lines for easy parsing by shell procedures, and to check for legal options. [Optstring] is a string of recognized option letters (see getopt(3)); if a letter is followed by a colon, the option is expected to have an argument which may or may not be separated from it by white space. The special option ``--'' is used to delimit the end of the options. getopt will place ``--'' in the arguments at the end of the options, or recognize it if used explicitly. The shell arguments ($1, $2, ...) are reset so that each option is preceded by a ``-'' and in its own shell argument; each option argument is also in its own shell argument. getopt should not be used in new scripts; use the shell builtin getopts instead. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment shows how one might process the arguments for a command that can take the options [a] and [b], and the option [c], which requires an argument. args=`getopt abc: $*` if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then echo 'Usage: ...' exit 2 fi set -- $args while [ $# -gt 0 ]; do case "$1" in -a|-b) flag=$1 ;; -c) carg=$2; shift ;; --) shift; break ;; esac shift done This code will accept any of the following as equivalent: cmd -acarg file file cmd -a -c arg file file cmd -carg -a file file cmd -a -carg -- file file IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') mandates that the sh(1) set command return the value of 0 for the exit status. Therefore, the exit status of the getopt command is lost when getopt and the sh(1) set command are used on the same line. The example given is one way to detect errors found by getopt. DIAGNOSTICS
getopt prints an error message on the standard error output when it encounters an option letter not included in [optstring]. SEE ALSO
sh(1), getopt(3) HISTORY
Written by Henry Spencer, working from a Bell Labs manual page. Behavior believed identical to the Bell version. BUGS
Whatever getopt(3) has. Arguments containing white space or embedded shell metacharacters generally will not survive intact; this looks easy to fix but isn't. The error message for an invalid option is identified as coming from getopt rather than from the shell procedure containing the invocation of getopt; this again is hard to fix. The precise best way to use the set command to set the arguments without disrupting the value(s) of shell options varies from one shell ver- sion to another. BSD
November 28, 2009 BSD