Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and replace with variable using sed or awk Post 302437772 by dr.house on Friday 16th of July 2010 05:34:26 AM
Old 07-16-2010
Code:
#!/bin/bash

while read LINE
do
  OLD=$( echo $LINE | cut -d, -f2 )
  NEW=$( echo $LINE | cut -d, -f1 )
  echo "$OLD <> $NEW"
  sed -e "s/^$OLD/$NEW/" -i mail_temp
done < replacements

exit 0
#finis

Code:
[house@leonov] cat replacements
Bell BB,Bell_BB
Bell,Bell_MONTHLY
SOLO,SOLO_UNBEATABLE
[house@leonov] cat mail_temp
Bell_BB 17
Bell_MONTHLY 888
SOLO_UNBEATABLE 721
[house@leonov] bash code.bash
Bell_BB <> Bell BB
Bell_MONTHLY <> Bell
SOLO_UNBEATABLE <> SOLO
[house@leonov] cat mail_temp
Bell BB 17
Bell 888
SOLO 721

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace the value in a variable

I have a variable whose value is I="user1:x:1100:1200:ID for user1:/home/user1:/bin/ssh-dummy-shell" I want to replace the last part '/bin/ssh-dummy-shell' with '/bin/true' I tried using sed but it garbled sed 's/\/bin\/ssh-dummy-shell/\/bin\/true' $I Thanks for the help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aajmani
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace variable

Is there an easy way of doing this cat file1 jkasjhjgfg LTRIM(RTRIM(aa_bb_cde)) aragsfdg LTRIM(RTRIM(aa_bb_cde)) aregfafdgfg sdgsfdagdfg gadfg eafgsadgsa asdgsfdgag LTRIM(RTRIM(aa_bb_cde)) rfghsdfhd I want to replace each occurence of LTRIM(RTRIM($x)) with LENGTH(LTRIM(RTRIM($x)))=0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sed/awk] find info and replace

Hi :) I have some problems with "FOR"... I have a text file in this format: name1 www.link1/random_number name2 www.link2/random_number name3 www.link3/random_number ... (Names and info changes) Now, I need: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aspire
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a column that has '' to NULL in a comma delimited using awk or sed

Hi this is my first time posting ever. I'm relatively new in using AWK/SED, I've been trying many a solution. I'm trying to replace the 59th column in a file where if I encounter '' then I would like to replace it with the word NULL. example 0 , '' , '' , 0 , 195.538462 change it to 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gumal901
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a certain string in a file and replace it with a value from another file using sed/awk?

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and new to sed/awk programming too !! I need to find particular string in file1(text file) and replace it with a value from another text file(file2) the file2 has only one line and the value to be replaced with is in the second column. file 1: (assert (=... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
21 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace with variable -sed

Hi, I have a ksh script where I am trying to mask the password in the log files. $loc - is my directory $PGUIDE_DB_USER_PSW - is a variable that holds the password I am looking for find $loc/logs -type f -exec sed -i "s/$PGUIDE_DB_USER_PSW/*****/"g {} \; I get an error: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitlib
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk -Find and Replace

All, I have thousands of lines in a file with following format DATA=_ONE_XXX_YYY_CCC_HHHG_ DATA1=_GGG_JJJJ_HHH_UUU_JJJJ_HHHH_LLL_ DATA3=_MMM_GG_NN_QQQQ_FFF_III_ I want to replace _ with . by ignoring the first (=_) and last (_) So that out put should looks like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed/awk to find negative numbers and replace with 1?

Greetings. I have a three column file, and there are some numbers in the second column that are <1. However I need all numbers to be positive, thus need to replace all those numbers with just one. I feel like there must be a simple way to use awk to find these numbers and sed to replace but can't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk/sed to replace variable in file

Hi All I have one file with multiple lines in it, each line has static text and some variable enclosed in <<filename>> as well. e.g. as below 123, <<file1.txt>> this is my name, I stay at <<city.txt>> Thanks for visiting 348384y, this is my name <<fileabc.txt>>, I stay at near the mall of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
8 Replies
stty(2) 							System Calls Manual							   stty(2)

NAME
stty(), gtty() - control terminal device (Bell Version 6 compatibility) SYNOPSIS
Remarks These system calls are preserved for backward compatibility with Bell Version 6. They provide as close an approximation as possible to the old Version 6 functions. All new code should use the and calls described in termio(7). DESCRIPTION
For certain status settings and status inquiries about terminal devices, the functions and are equivalent to and respectively (see ioctl(2) and termio(7). RETURN VALUE
and return the following values: Successful completion. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If or fails, is set to one of the following values: [EBADF] is not a valid file descriptor. [EFAULT] points to an invalid address. WARNINGS
Obsolescent Interfaces and are to be obsoleted at a future date. SEE ALSO
stty(1), exec(2), ioctl(2), sttyV6(7), termio(7), tty(7). TO BE OBSOLETED stty(2)