Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and replace with variable using sed or awk Post 302437772 by dr.house on Friday 16th of July 2010 05:34:26 AM
Old 07-16-2010
Code:
#!/bin/bash

while read LINE
do
  OLD=$( echo $LINE | cut -d, -f2 )
  NEW=$( echo $LINE | cut -d, -f1 )
  echo "$OLD <> $NEW"
  sed -e "s/^$OLD/$NEW/" -i mail_temp
done < replacements

exit 0
#finis

Code:
[house@leonov] cat replacements
Bell BB,Bell_BB
Bell,Bell_MONTHLY
SOLO,SOLO_UNBEATABLE
[house@leonov] cat mail_temp
Bell_BB 17
Bell_MONTHLY 888
SOLO_UNBEATABLE 721
[house@leonov] bash code.bash
Bell_BB <> Bell BB
Bell_MONTHLY <> Bell
SOLO_UNBEATABLE <> SOLO
[house@leonov] cat mail_temp
Bell BB 17
Bell 888
SOLO 721

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace the value in a variable

I have a variable whose value is I="user1:x:1100:1200:ID for user1:/home/user1:/bin/ssh-dummy-shell" I want to replace the last part '/bin/ssh-dummy-shell' with '/bin/true' I tried using sed but it garbled sed 's/\/bin\/ssh-dummy-shell/\/bin\/true' $I Thanks for the help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aajmani
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace variable

Is there an easy way of doing this cat file1 jkasjhjgfg LTRIM(RTRIM(aa_bb_cde)) aragsfdg LTRIM(RTRIM(aa_bb_cde)) aregfafdgfg sdgsfdagdfg gadfg eafgsadgsa asdgsfdgag LTRIM(RTRIM(aa_bb_cde)) rfghsdfhd I want to replace each occurence of LTRIM(RTRIM($x)) with LENGTH(LTRIM(RTRIM($x)))=0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sed/awk] find info and replace

Hi :) I have some problems with "FOR"... I have a text file in this format: name1 www.link1/random_number name2 www.link2/random_number name3 www.link3/random_number ... (Names and info changes) Now, I need: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aspire
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a column that has '' to NULL in a comma delimited using awk or sed

Hi this is my first time posting ever. I'm relatively new in using AWK/SED, I've been trying many a solution. I'm trying to replace the 59th column in a file where if I encounter '' then I would like to replace it with the word NULL. example 0 , '' , '' , 0 , 195.538462 change it to 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gumal901
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a certain string in a file and replace it with a value from another file using sed/awk?

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and new to sed/awk programming too !! I need to find particular string in file1(text file) and replace it with a value from another text file(file2) the file2 has only one line and the value to be replaced with is in the second column. file 1: (assert (=... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
21 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace with variable -sed

Hi, I have a ksh script where I am trying to mask the password in the log files. $loc - is my directory $PGUIDE_DB_USER_PSW - is a variable that holds the password I am looking for find $loc/logs -type f -exec sed -i "s/$PGUIDE_DB_USER_PSW/*****/"g {} \; I get an error: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitlib
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk -Find and Replace

All, I have thousands of lines in a file with following format DATA=_ONE_XXX_YYY_CCC_HHHG_ DATA1=_GGG_JJJJ_HHH_UUU_JJJJ_HHHH_LLL_ DATA3=_MMM_GG_NN_QQQQ_FFF_III_ I want to replace _ with . by ignoring the first (=_) and last (_) So that out put should looks like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed/awk to find negative numbers and replace with 1?

Greetings. I have a three column file, and there are some numbers in the second column that are <1. However I need all numbers to be positive, thus need to replace all those numbers with just one. I feel like there must be a simple way to use awk to find these numbers and sed to replace but can't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk/sed to replace variable in file

Hi All I have one file with multiple lines in it, each line has static text and some variable enclosed in <<filename>> as well. e.g. as below 123, <<file1.txt>> this is my name, I stay at <<city.txt>> Thanks for visiting 348384y, this is my name <<fileabc.txt>>, I stay at near the mall of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
8 Replies
SEQ(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    SEQ(1)

NAME
seq -- print sequences of numbers SYNOPSIS
seq [-w] [-f format] [-s string] [-t string] [first [incr]] last DESCRIPTION
The seq utility prints a sequence of numbers, one per line (default), from first (default 1), to near last as possible, in increments of incr (default 1). When first is larger than last, the default incr is -1. All numbers are interpreted as floating point. Normally integer values are printed as decimal integers. The seq utility accepts the following options: -f format Use a printf(3) style format to print each number. Only the A, a, E, e, F, f, G, g, and % conversion characters are valid, along with any optional flags and an optional numeric minimum field width or precision. The format can contain character escape sequences in backslash notation as defined in ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). The default is %g. -s string Use string to separate numbers. The string can contain character escape sequences in backslash notation as defined in ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). The default is . -t string Use string to terminate sequence of numbers. The string can contain character escape sequences in backslash notation as defined in ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). This option is useful when the default separator does not contain a . -w Equalize the widths of all numbers by padding with zeros as necessary. This option has no effect with the -f option. If any sequence numbers will be printed in exponential notation, the default conversion is changed to %e. EXIT STATUS
The seq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
# seq 1 3 1 2 3 # seq 3 1 3 2 1 # seq -w 0 .05 .1 0.00 0.05 0.10 SEE ALSO
jot(1), printf(1), printf(3) HISTORY
The seq command first appeared in Plan 9 from Bell Labs. A seq command appeared in NetBSD 3.0, and ported to FreeBSD 9.0. This command was based on the command of the same name in Plan 9 from Bell Labs and the GNU core utilities. The GNU seq command first appeared in the 1.13 shell utilities release. BUGS
The -w option does not handle the transition from pure floating point to exponent representation very well. The seq command is not bug for bug compatible with the Plan 9 from Bell Labs or GNU versions of seq. BSD
September 10, 2013 BSD