Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem using unix command with "&" Post 302437741 by radoulov on Friday 16th of July 2010 04:22:37 AM
Old 07-16-2010
Right after logging on the remote system, check if the DISPLAY variable is correctly set:

Code:
echo "$DISPLAY"

If it's not set, the X11 forwarding won't work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "at" / "Cron" Command New Problem...Need help

Hi All, I am trying to schedule a one time job using the at command with the help of shell script for my project. The shell script should take a parameter as a command line argument from the at command itself. Is it possible to take a command line parameter for a shell script in the command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohanraj
3 Replies

2. Programming

fork&pipe "interpretting" shell - problem

hello everybode.Got some sort of "problems" with this stuff; well this is a program int main() { int Pipe; int origStdin, origStdout; int childPID; origStdin = dup(0); origStdout = dup(1); pipe(Pipe); if( (childPID = fork()) < 0 ) { perror(... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IdleProc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with "find" and "grep" command

I want to list all files/lines which except those which contain the pattern ' /proc/' OR ' /sys/' (mind the leading blank). In a first approach I coded: find / -exec ls -ld {} | grep -v ' /proc/| /sys/' \; > /tmp/list.txt But this doesn't work. I got an error (under Ubuntu): grep:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

files having Script which works behind "who" & "w" commands

Dear All, plz print the path of files which have the script of "who" & "w" commands. thnx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the strings beween 2 characters "/" & "/" in .txt file

Hi all. I have a .txt file that I need to sort it My file is like: 1- 88 chain0 MASTER (FF-TE) FFFF 1962510 /TCK T FD2TQHVTT1 /jtagc/jtag_instreg/updateinstr_reg_1 dff1 (TI,SO) 2- ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
10 Replies

8. Web Development

How would I mod_rewrite "/~a1Pha" and "/=a1Pha" to "/paste/a1Pha.htm"? (internally & externally)

Basically I want to shorten URLs on my html pasting site (pasteht.ml), by using "/~a1Pha" instead of "/paste/a1Pha". The ID is 5 numbers and letters, both cases. For example: /~idnum serves /paste/idnum.htm /=idnum serves /paste/idnum.htm /paste/idnum redirects to /~idnum (to update any old... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phillips1012
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the use of "finger" command & how to use it to kill the online processes ?

Hi there, I am eager to know what exactly is the use of "finger" command & how to use it to kill the online processes ? :b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhijitpaul0212
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies
PAM_ENV.CONF(5) 						 Linux-PAM Manual						   PAM_ENV.CONF(5)

NAME
pam_env.conf - the environment variables config file DESCRIPTION
The /etc/security/pam_env.conf file specifies the environment variables to be set, unset or modified by pam_env(8). When someone logs in, this file is read and the environment variables are set according. Each line starts with the variable name, there are then two possible options for each variable DEFAULT and OVERRIDE. DEFAULT allows and administrator to set the value of the variable to some default value, if none is supplied then the empty string is assumed. The OVERRIDE option tells pam_env that it should enter in its value (overriding the default value) if there is one to use. OVERRIDE is not used, "" is assumed and no override will be done. VARIABLE [DEFAULT=[value]] [OVERRIDE=[value]] (Possibly non-existent) environment variables may be used in values using the ${string} syntax and (possibly non-existent) PAM_ITEMs may be used in values using the @{string} syntax. Both the $ and @ characters can be backslash escaped to be used as literal values values can be delimited with "", escaped " not supported. Note that many environment variables that you would like to use may not be set by the time the module is called. For example, HOME is used below several times, but many PAM applications don't make it available by the time you need it. The "#" character at start of line (no space at front) can be used to mark this line as a comment line. EXAMPLES
These are some example lines which might be specified in /etc/security/pam_env.conf. Set the REMOTEHOST variable for any hosts that are remote, default to "localhost" rather than not being set at all REMOTEHOST DEFAULT=localhost OVERRIDE=@{PAM_RHOST} Set the DISPLAY variable if it seems reasonable DISPLAY DEFAULT=${REMOTEHOST}:0.0 OVERRIDE=${DISPLAY} Now some simple variables PAGER DEFAULT=less MANPAGER DEFAULT=less LESS DEFAULT="M q e h15 z23 b80" NNTPSERVER DEFAULT=localhost PATH DEFAULT=${HOME}/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin :/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin/X11:/usr/bin/X11 Silly examples of escaped variables, just to show how they work. DOLLAR DEFAULT=$ DOLLARDOLLAR DEFAULT= OVERRIDE=$${DOLLAR} DOLLARPLUS DEFAULT=${REMOTEHOST}${REMOTEHOST} ATSIGN DEFAULT="" OVERRIDE=@ SEE ALSO
pam_env(8), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_env was written by Dave Kinchlea <kinch@kinch.ark.com>. Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 PAM_ENV.CONF(5)