Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete lines where line length is < x Post 302437064 by rdcwayx on Wednesday 14th of July 2010 12:09:45 AM
Old 07-14-2010
by awk:

Code:
awk 'length>100 ' urfile

This User Gave Thanks to rdcwayx For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed working on lines of small length and not large length

Hi , I have a peculiar case, where my sed command is working on a file which contains lines of small length. sed "s/XYZ:1/XYZ:3/g" abc.txt > xyz.txt when abc.txt contains lines of small length(currently around 80 chars) , this sed command is working fine. when abc.txt contains lines of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thanuman
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

search 2 lines and delete above line

Hi, I've been searching in this forum for the last 4 hours trying to do one thing: search 2 lines and delete the above line. So far I have not be able to find something similar in this forum, so I need help. This is what I'm trying to do. For example, I have a file called file1: file1 word1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamushamu
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines with line numbers.

Hi, I have a file will 1000 lines.... I want to deleted some line in the file... like 800-850 lines i want to remove in that... can somebody help me..? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kattoor
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all lines after a specific line ?

Hello. My file is like this: a b c d e f g h i I want to delete all lines after the 3rd line, means after the "c". Is there any way to do this? The lines differ between them and the lines I want to delete does not have a specific word, or the lines I want to keep (a,b,c) does not have a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete multiple lines by line number

I have file with 10000 records and i need to delete the lines in single shot based on line number range say from 10 to 51 , 53 to 59 , 105 to 107, 311 to 592 etc... between range works fine for me but how to achive for above case? please help sed '10,51 {d}' infile > outfile (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zooby
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines based on line number

I have a file with ~200K lines, I need to delete 4K lines in it. There is no range. I do have the line numbers of the lines which I want to be deleted. I did tried using > cat del.lines sed '510d;12d;219d;......;3999d' file > source del.lines Word too long. I even tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice_man
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete several lines from file by line number?

Hi I am using the following command to delete a line from the file by line number: line_number=14 sed "${line_number}d" inputfilename > newfilename Is there a way to modify this command to specify the range of lines to be deleted, lets say from line 14 till line 5 ? I tried using the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to delete all lines where any line meets a condition

Here is an example of a file... foo1,good foo1,good foo2,error foo2,good Note that both rows for foo1 have good in the 2nd field, but one of the foo2 rows has error... I need something in ksh/awk/perl that will delete ALL foo2 lines if ANY of them have error in the 2nd field...so: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbiggied
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find a string in a line in UNIX file and delete that line and previous 3 lines ?

Hi , i have a file with data as below.This is same file. But actual file contains to many rows. i want to search for a string "Field 039 00" and delete that line and previous 3 lines in that file.. Can some body suggested me how can i do using either sed or awk command ? Field 004... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadlamudy
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all lines except a line starting with string

Shell : bash OS : RHEL 6.8 I have a file like below. $ cat pattern.txt hello txt1 txt2 txt3 some other text txt4 I want to remove all lines in this file except the ones starting with txt . How can I do this ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
4 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - differential file comparator SYNOPSIS
diff [ -efbh ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Diff tells what lines must be changed in two files to bring them into agreement. If file1 (file2) is `-', the standard input is used. If file1 (file2) is a directory, then a file in that directory whose file-name is the same as the file-name of file2 (file1) is used. The normal output contains lines of these forms: n1 a n3,n4 n1,n2 d n3 n1,n2 c n3,n4 These lines resemble ed commands to convert file1 into file2. The numbers after the letters pertain to file2. In fact, by exchanging `a' for `d' and reading backward one may ascertain equally how to convert file2 into file1. As in ed, identical pairs where n1 = n2 or n3 = n4 are abbreviated as a single number. Following each of these lines come all the lines that are affected in the first file flagged by `<', then all the lines that are affected in the second file flagged by `>'. The -b option causes trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) to be ignored and other strings of blanks to compare equal. The -e option produces a script of a, c and d commands for the editor ed, which will recreate file2 from file1. The -f option produces a similar script, not useful with ed, in the opposite order. In connection with -e, the following shell program may help maintain multiple versions of a file. Only an ancestral file ($1) and a chain of version-to-version ed scripts ($2,$3,...) made by diff need be on hand. A `latest version' appears on the standard output. (shift; cat $*; echo '1,$p') | ed - $1 Except in rare circumstances, diff finds a smallest sufficient set of file differences. Option -h does a fast, half-hearted job. It works only when changed stretches are short and well separated, but does work on files of unlimited length. Options -e and -f are unavailable with -h. FILES
/tmp/d????? /usr/lib/diffh for -h SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), ed(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no differences, 1 for some, 2 for trouble. BUGS
Editing scripts produced under the -e or -f option are naive about creating lines consisting of a single `.'. DIFF(1)