Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get Current Time in Seconds Perl Post 302436945 by SkySmart on Tuesday 13th of July 2010 01:48:07 PM
Old 07-13-2010
Get Current Time in Seconds Perl

hi guys,

i need to know how to get the current date/time in seconds and i want to be able to do this in a one liner. like say for instance, if want to get what the time is right now, i'll issue a command like this:

Code:
## perl -e ' print scalar(localtime(time + 0)), "\n"'
Tue Jul 13 17:45:50 2010
##

but i dont want the above output. i want it to be in seconds. like 3494932222.

thanks guys

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting time in mili seconds

hi all UNIX Gurus, this is my first post...so i posting this with great expectations:o...hoping to get the similar replies... my question is.... need to get timestamp with millisecond in UNIX. Date command gives Year,month day, hour,minute and second but it does not give millisecond. Any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bhups
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Time Difference in seconds

It is required to calculate time difference in seconds between epoch time (19700101 00:00:00) and any given date time (e.g. 20010214 14:30:30). Is there any command in unix to get it? Thanks in adv. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: k_bijitesh
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Current system date in terms of seconds

Hello Friends, I've been struggling with extreme nagios passive service checks. In order to trigger a nagios passive service im going to write an easy shell script like below and will run it in crontab. As im working on Solaris 10 servers i used "S" instead of lowercase "s" below #!/bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to capture date/time in seconds in PERL... Cant understand errors

I'm Using this script to find the time of a file. I'm very much new to PERL and found this script posted by some one on this forum. It runs perfectly fine, just that it gives me following errors with the accurate output as well. I jus want the output to be stored in another file so that i can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankimmehta
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time difference in seconds

date1=$(date +"%H:%M:%S") date2=$(date +"01:00:54") diff=$date2-$date1 echo $diff How to get the time difference in seconds. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying current date time of EDT in IST time

Hi Folks, My server time is in EDT. And i am sending automated mails from that server in which i need to display the current date time as per IST (GMT+5:30). Please advice how to display the date time as per IST. IST time leads 9:30 mins to EDT. and i wrote something like below. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Showdown
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Current triggered time to epoch seconds

I have a requirement to find long running instances for notifying the stake holders based on the triggered time in AIX. I am not sure how to convert the triggered time to epoch seconds. For example : Current triggered time of instance is 13:06:19 -> how to convert this into epoch in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandu123
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTC time into current UNIX sever time zone

Hi guys thanks for the help for my previous posts.Now i have a requirement that i download a XMl file which has UTC time stamp.I need to convert UTC time into Unix server timezone. For ex if the time zone of unix server is CDT then i need to convert into CDT.whatever may be the system time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time in seconds on AIX 4.3.2.0

Hi to everybody again i Need your help, i wasting hours but can't find a solutuin for my Problem. I am not an expert with AIX script programming. I have a csh script and i need the time in seconds but since i have an old AIX the Option -%s doesnot exist with the date command. I seach in Google... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nadielosabra
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting seconds to time

I have a list of time spans in seconds, and want to compute the time span as hh:mm:nn I am coding in bash and have coded the following. However, the results are wrong as "%.0f" rounds the values. Example: ftm: 25793.5 tmspan(hrs,min,sec): 7.16 429.89 25793.50 hh: 7 mm: 10 ss:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies
sttime(3)						    ShapeTools Toolkit Library							 sttime(3)

NAME
stMktime, stWriteTime - date and time handling SYNOPSIS
#include <config.h> #include <sttk.h.h> time_tstMktime (char *string); char*stWriteTime (time_t date); DESCRIPTION
stMktime scans the given string and tries to read a date and time from it. It understands various formats of date strings. The following is a list of all valid formats, optional parts in brackets. [Tue] Jan 5[,] [19]93 This includes the standard asctime(3) format. Jan 5 With no year given, the year defaults to the current year. [19]93/01/05 This notation requires month and day represented by exactly two digits. 5.1.[19]93 This is the usual German notation. 5.1. German notation referencing the current year. A certain time, given together with the date must always have the following form. hours:minutes[:seconds] Each of the fields must be an integer value within the proper range (hours: 0-23, minutes and seconds: 0-59). Values below 10 may be written as one digit numbers. The time value may be placed anywhere in the date string: at the beginning, at the end, or somewhere in the middle. Any amount of white- space may be given between a field of the time value and the separating colon. The time is always considered to be local time. stWriteTime generates a time string similar to asctime(3) from its date argument. SEE ALSO
asctime(3) BUGS
Time Zone Names within the time string (like `MET') are not handled properly. In most cases they will cause a failure. sttk-1.7 Thu Jun 24 17:43:35 1993 sttime(3)