Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Storing the output of a Unix cmd in my C program Post 302436700 by Goseib on Tuesday 13th of July 2010 01:37:10 AM
Old 07-13-2010
thank you guys... I can do just that!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

storing date into a file from a program

hi all: i want to store the current date in to a file from a program. every time i execute the prg the date should get appended into the file. help me plz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing output of awk in variable

HI I am trying to store the output of this awk command awk -F, {(if NR==2) print $1} test.sr in a variable when I am trying v= awk -F, {(if NR==2) print $1} test.sr $v = awk -F, {(if NR==2) print $1} test.sr but its not working out . Any suggestions Thanks Arif (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mab_arif16
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing the output into a variable

Hi unix gurus, I am trying to store the result of a command into a variable. But it is not getting stored. x='hello' y=echo $x | wc -c but it is giving the output as 0(zero) Pls help me its very urgent (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing awk output into variables

Hi all, Currently, i have a log file seperated by 'tab' and each record starting with a new line. i managed to retrieve the column that i'm interested in. (source_ip_address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx). example of awk output: '{ print $43 }' assuming the field is at column 43. 10.10.10.10... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faelric
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with `cat` the compiled output of C program in unix

Hello All, I have coded a C program which looks something like below... (program name: test.c) #include<stdio.h> main() { int dist,dm,dcm; printf(" Enter the distance between 2 cities in KM : "); scanf("%d",&dist); dm=dist*1000; dcm=dist*10; printf("Distance between 2 cities in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
6 Replies

6. Programming

popen hangs program during cmd execution

How can I get around this? when my program reaches the following popen job it halts the program until the ping/netstat/ipconfig/traceroute is completed then resume to the rest of the program... FILE *in; extern FILE *popen(); char buff; char newline; char nstat; char nping; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jess83
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix cmd prompt how to get old cmd run?

Hi, I am using SunOS I want to serch my previous command from unix prompt (like on AIX we can search by ESC -k) how to get in SunOs urgent help require. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing or Using Numeric Output From a Function

Hi all, I'm trying to implement a linear congruential pseudorandom number generator (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_congruential_generator>), since $RANDOM and /dev/random aren't standardized. I'm referring to the Shell & Utilities volume of POSIX.1-2008, but I'm running into some odd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PehJota
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing output into a variable

My script below seems to be choking because I need the the output of the find command to be stored as a variable that can then be called by used lower in the script. #!/bin/bash cd "/resumes_to_be_completed" var1=find . -mmin -1 -type f \( -name "*.doc" -o -name "*.docx" \)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing command output in an array

Hi, I want keep/save one command's output in an array and later want to iterate over the array one by one for some processing. instead of doing like below- for str in `cat /etc/passwd | awk -F: '$3 >100 {print $1}' | uniq` want to store- my_array = `cat /etc/passwd | awk -F: '$3 >100 {print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
4 Replies
ZAWAY(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZAWAY(1)

NAME
zaway - tell other people via Zephyr that you aren't around SYNOPSIS
zaway [ OPTIONS ] [ FILE ] DESCRIPTION
zaway provides a way for you to automatically send replies when other people contact you using zwrite(1). zaway subscribes itself to class "MESSAGE", instance "*", so that it can monitor your incoming messages. It does not affect the operation of any other client receiving messages. zaway is typically run when you are leaving your terminal or display temporarily. zaway usually never exits; when you return to your terminal you should type the interrupt character (usually ^C) in order to make zaway exit. OPTIONS -m STRING Use STRING as the body of the auto-reply message. Any message file (specified on the command line or the default) is ignored. -w Watch the invoking user's location status. If the user is locatable anywhere, no auto-replies will be sent. -h Displays a short usage message and exits. zaway uses a message file (which defaults to $HOME/.away) to describe what reponses should be sent to which senders. The general format of this file is: >name >name message >name message Any number of user names may be specified preceding the message to send to those senders. If a user name appears more than once, the mes- sage will be a concatenation of each of the appropriate messages. There are two special names: "*" indicates that the following message should be sent to all senders and "%" indicates that the following message should only be sent if the user name has not matched yet. If no file is specified, and no default file can be found, the following message is returned: I'm sorry, but I am currently away from the terminal and am not able to receive your message. If a user name does not match any of those listed in the file, and no "*" or "%" field is specified, no return message is sent. All mes- sages are preceded by a signature "Automated reply:". To avoid loops, messages are not sent in response to messages beginning with an "Automated reply:" signature or sent by the same Kerberos principal as the user running zaway. SAMPLE FILE
>eichin >tony Hi there guys! I'm in the other room right now. I'll be back in 5 minutes or so. >jruser Sorry, but I'm gone for the day... >% Hello...I'm not sure who you are. I'll be back soon, though. >* This message comes to you compliments of zaway! The final "compliments" message will be included in all messages, whereas the "I'm not sure" message will only be included in messages that are not from "eichin", "tony", or "jruser". FILES
$HOME/.away SEE ALSO
zephyr(1), zwgc(1), zwrite(1), zhm(8), zephyrd(8) Project Athena Technical Plan Section E.4.1, `Zephyr Notification Service' AUTHOR
Robert S. French (MIT-Project Athena) RESTRICTIONS
Copyright (c) 1987,1988 by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. All Rights Reserved. zephyr(1) specifies the terms and conditions for redistribution. MIT Project Athena July 1, 1988 ZAWAY(1)