Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regular Expressions in K Shell Script Post 302436657 by fpmurphy on Monday 12th of July 2010 08:16:20 PM
Old 07-12-2010
What have you tried so far?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expressions in shell scripts <yawn>

Quite possibly a simple problem who's answer is evading me: I am trying to write a sh shell script, part of which is *logically* trying to do the following: if ]; then ... fi if ]; then ... else ... fi Where the 1st condition is looking for a hostname passed as $1, the second... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_pointer
3 Replies

2. Programming

regular expressions in c++

How do I use the regular expressions in c++? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using regular expressions in c shell control structure

i cant get around using regular expressions in if/else statements. it simply doesnt give me the right results. i've tried using switch/case but that is just as sh!tty as well. (pardon my french but im getting frustrated with c shell..only reason why im writing in it is because it's a hwk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ballazrus
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execute a shell script using regular expressions

I am have a configuration script that my shell script uses. There is a regular expression defined for the input file. How do execute the shell script and pass the name of the input file using a regular expression. I would greatly appreciate some help. If you could point my to a website that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: supergirl3954
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regular Expressions

Hi, below is a piece of code written by my predecessor at work. I'm kind of a newbie and am trying to figure out all the regular expressions in this piece of code. It is really a tough time for me to figure out all the regular expressions. Please shed some light on the regular expressions... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expressions using perl script

i have a set of regular expressions. The words in the regular expression should be used to replace the i/p with hyphens '---'. i need perl script to evaluate these regular expression. the words in the regexes when found in the i/p file should be replaced with hyphens '---'. the set of regular... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sgiri1
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with Regular Expressions

Hi, In ksh, I am trying to compare folder names having -141- in it's name. e.g.: 4567-141-8098 should match this expression '*-141-*' but, -141-2354 should fail when compared with '*-141-*' simlarly, abc should fail when compared with '*-141-*' I tried multiple things but nevertheless,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jidsh
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

what elements does " /^/ " match? I did the test which indicates that it matches single lowercase character like 'a','b' etc. and '1','2' etc. But I really confused with that. Because, "/^abc/" matches strings like "abcedf" or "abcddddee". So, what does caret ^ really mean? Any response... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidHe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Small script for website links and regular expressions

Need a help with a simple(i hope) script that would get a website location from stdin and then check all the links that site contains for some random regular expression ,and then save the links name and the expression found in some random file.Any help would be really helpfull. Considerin i`m... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zbunce
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions in tcsh script

Hi, I have a shell script in tcsh to which I pass an argument, the length of which can vary. The possible values of the argument are the letters -c,s,i,q,a. and also a combination of these letters. (e.g: cs,si,ca,iq,qa,csq,acs,csia ..etc). The order of the letters does not matter. My problem... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaisakh P
2 Replies
lookbib(1)						      General Commands Manual							lookbib(1)

Name
       indxbib, lookbib - build inverted index for a bibliography, lookup bibliographic references

Syntax
       indxbib database...
       lookbib database

Description
       The  makes  an inverted index to the named databases (or files) for use by and These files contain bibliographic references (or other kinds
       of information) separated by blank lines.

A bibliographic reference is a set of lines, constituting fields of bibliographic information.  Each field starts on a line beginning  with
       a  ``%'',  followed  by	a key-letter, then a blank, and finally the contents of the field, which may continue until the next line starting
       with ``%''.

The command is a shell script that calls and The first program, truncates words to 6 characters, and maps upper case  to  lower	case.	It
       also  discards words shorter than 3 characters, words among the 100 most common English words, and numbers (dates) < 1900 or > 2000.  These
       parameters can be changed.  The second program, inv, creates an entry file (.ia), a posting file (.ib), and a tag file (.ic),  all  in  the
       working directory.

The command uses an inverted index made by to find sets of bibliographic references.  It reads keywords typed after the ``>'' prompt on the
       terminal, and retrieves records containing all these keywords.  If nothing matches, nothing is returned except another ``>'' prompt.

It is possible to search multiple databases, as long as they have a common index made by In that case, only the first argument given to	is
       specified to

If  does  not  find the index files (the .i[abc] files), it looks for a reference file with the same name as the argument, without the suf-
       fixes.  It creates a file with a '.ig' suffix, suitable for use with It then uses this fgrep file to find references.  This method is  sim-
       pler to use, but the .ig file is slower to use than the .i[abc] files, and does not allow the use of multiple reference files.

Files
       x.ia, x.ib, x.ic, where x is the first argument, or if these are not present, then x.ig, x

See Also
       addbib(1), lookbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1), sortbib(1),

lookbib(1)