Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers defining variable in .profile Post 302436618 by abhi_n123 on Monday 12th of July 2010 02:39:31 PM
Old 07-12-2010
Network defining variable in .profile

In root dir i have created a .profile file and added variable and assigned a path to it:
a = '/dir/dir'
export a

but when i echo (echo $a) the path or use this variable the value or path not getting displayed.

i tried executing the .profile and logging out and logging in, didnt workout. am i missing out something in .profile or is it created in wrong path.?Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying $PATH variable in /etc/profile

In my /etc/profile, my $PATH variable is set as follows: $PATH =/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/etc Then how do I add an additional directory to it? say /export/home/abd/rose Please advise. Thanks! Deepali (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepali
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changed .profile but didnt ./.profile, yet reflected changes

hi , i added ls -F to .profile. and i need to do ./.profile for the effect to take effect BUT i didnt and YET the next day when i came to work and log in, the changes took effect. i am on aix. please explain.. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

defining a variable as a number or character?

I am writing a script that needs to accept numbers into a variable by prompting and using the code read num case $num in 000) break ;; *) I am fairly new to unix and am loving the versatility of the language but need a little shove in the right... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noobian
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Profile and environment variable

Hi, I'm using solaris 8 and I need to know where I can add the following variable to have it applied to all my user Ids. I tried to add this to /etc/profile but not working when i check with "env" command : export PW_MATRIX=/usr/local/ccms/security/dat/.PASSWORD_MATRIX export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclefab
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How is .profile and environment variable linked..

:( 1.) How is .profile and environment variable linked.? 2.) What happens when we execute a script.? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guhas
3 Replies

6. AIX

Environment variable values encrption in profile

Hello This is the format of present profile which we use for a AIX user export DMRUNuser ; DMRUNuser="owbrunuser_10" export DMRUNpasswd ; DMRUNpasswd="ods$12345" DMRUNuser&DMRUNpasswd were the environmental users which store the user id and password of a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kalpana.anuga
1 Replies

7. AIX

rerun .profile after changing variable

I changed a $variable in my .profile (AIX unix). I know I could exit out and logon onto unix again, but how do I rerun the .profile at the command line? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboxtops
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Defining EDITOR Variable - Tru64

Hi, I have to edit a lot of partitions soon and wanted to do so with EMACS rather than VI. The "disklabel -e -r disknumber" command picks up VI as it's defined, but how do I set "-e" so it uses EMACS instead please? Thanks...! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bagel08
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

defining a variable using multiple "entries/columns" within a line using read

Hello All, I am trying to figure out how to use the read command. I have a txt file that has rows looking something like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 where each number represents an entry of various characters deliminated by tabs. My goal is to set entries 2-7 as a variable/string that I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Torinator
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Defining variable problem

Hi I'd say I'm having this weird problem where my script isn't taking the value off a variable or printing it. My code is like this: set count_C= `grep -c C mols` set count_H= `grep -c H mols` set count_O= `grep -c O mols` sed -i '7,7 s/$/ $count_C $count_O $count_H/g' input It... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saleheen
8 Replies
MHPARAM(1)							     [nmh-1.5]								MHPARAM(1)

NAME
mhparam - print nmh profile and context components SYNOPSIS
mhparam [components] [-all] [-component | -nocomponent] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
mhparam writes the value of the specified profile component to the standard output separated by newlines. If the profile component is not present, the default value (or nothing if there is no default) is printed. If the switch -component is given, then the component name is displayed along with the profile components value. This can be disabled with the switch -nocomponent. If more than one component is specified in the components list, then the switch -component is on by default. If only one component is specified, then the switch -nocomponent is on by default. If -all is specified, then all components in the nmh profile are displayed and other arguments are ignored. Examples: % mhparam path Mail % mhparam mhlproc /usr/lib/mh/mhl % mhparam -component Path Path: Mail % mhparam AliasFile rmmproc AliasFile: aliases rmmproc: rmmproc % mhparam -nocomponent AliasFile rmmproc aliases rmmproc % mhparam path nonexistent context Path: Mail context: context mhparam is also useful in back-quoted operations: % fgrep cornell.edu `mhpath +`/`mhparam aliasfile` EXIT STATUS
mhparam returns the number of components that were not found. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile or $MH Rather than the standard profile <mh-dir>/context The user context or $MHCONTEXT Rather than the standard context PROFILE COMPONENTS
context: To determine the context file SEE ALSO
mh-profile(5) DEFAULTS
`-nocomponent' if only one component is specified `-component' if more than one component is specified `components' defaults to none CONTEXT
None MH.6.8 11 June 2012 MHPARAM(1)