Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users when a process fails to write to /dev/log Post 302436528 by Gopi Krishna P on Monday 12th of July 2010 09:09:24 AM
Old 07-12-2010
when a process fails to write to /dev/log

Hi ,

when a process fails to write to /dev/log ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending alt-n to /dev/pts/1 from process bound to /dev/pts/2

Hello, i am using finch (unix commandline instant messaging client using libgnt) which is running connected to /dev/pts/1 Now I would like to "remote control" the program by sending the key combinations normally typed on the keyboard from a programm in another shell. So I tried:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mentos
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background-Process with #>/dev/null

Heya I want to start a new background-process like this: /tools/bin/bretestdriver QMGR=$QMGR REQUEST=$REQUEST CONTROL=$INPUTSAS $TESTCASE #>/dev/null & #>/dev/null & It doesn't work. like this it ignors #>/dev/null . does anybody know how i could do this? Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucae
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

4. Hardware

/dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved

# mt stat HP DDS-4 DAT (Sun) tape drive: sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0 file no= 0 block no= 0 mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn erase /dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved. Getting error while ufsdump .... --- Dumping / to /dev/rmt/0mn --- DUMP: Date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vickyingle5
1 Replies

5. Solaris

/dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved

# mt stat HP DDS-4 DAT (Sun) tape drive: sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0 file no= 0 block no= 0 mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn erase /dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved. Getting error while ufsdump .... --- Dumping / to /dev/rmt/0mn --- DUMP: Date... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickyingle5
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple process write to same log file at the same time

If we have 3 process to write to same log file at the same time like below. will it cause the data outdated because the multiple process writing same time? It this a safe way to keep the log for multiple process? p1 >> test.log &; p2 >> test.log &; p3 >> test.log & Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: casttree
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setuid not working in Linux as script fails to write to file.

Hi, I have the following 3 test files to test setuid bit which if it works I would like to implement in our application. However setuid doesnot seem to be having any impact on my test below.Following are the 3 files of interest in /tmp/ folder. $ ls -ltr *env* -rw------- 1 g332008 users 6... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: waavman
23 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i restart a process if it fails?

Hi Guru's, I just want to have an idea on how to restart a particular step when it fails? SCENARIO we have plenty of steps such as the following below: Step 1 copy file from source to target location which is in a different server. Step 2 create initial and incremental process ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reignangel2003
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh: How to write the log file simultaneously when .sql file executes by UNIX process

Hello Team- we would like to implement an approach which has to write the log file simultaneously when .sql file is executing by Unix process. At present,it is writing the log file once the process is completed. I've tested the current process with the below approaches and none of them... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hima_B
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subprocess.popen() should write to log without waiting for process to complete

Here is my test code process = sp.Popen( + , bufsize=1, universal_newlines=True, stdout=sp.PIPE, stderr=sp.STDOUT, cwd=src_home) output, _ =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
2 Replies
ds.log(4)							   File Formats 							 ds.log(4)

NAME
ds.log - Availability Suite data services log file DESCRIPTION
The /var/adm/ds.log file contains the Availability Suite data services command log. The administration commands log activities to the file in the format: date time product: message Note that when the size of the log file exceeds 10 Mbytes, ds.log is renamed /var/adm/ds.log.bak and a new /var/adm/ds.log file is cre- ated. The ds.log fields are: date The date format is mmm nn, where mmm is the local three-character abbreviation for the month and nn is the day of the month on which the event occurred. time The time of the event, in hh:mm:ss format. product A product code that identifies which component of the data services produced the event. The code is separated from the message that follows by a colon (:) and a space. message A message that can extend over more than one line describing the event that occurred. The second or following lines are not pre- fixed by the date, time, and product code strings. EXAMPLES
The example below shows sample ds.log file content: Jan 25 05:26:17 ii: iiboot suspend cluster tag <none> Jan 25 05:32:02 ii: iiboot resume cluster tag <none> Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/bigmaster Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/bigshadow Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/mstvxfs Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/master01 ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ |Architecture | x86 | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ |Availability | SUNWscmu | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ |Interface Stability | Committed | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
iiadm(1M), sndradm(1M), svadm(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 08 Jun 2007 ds.log(4)