Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware How to make terminals with a PC(UNIX/LInux) support? Post 302436331 by haixiao_liu on Saturday 10th of July 2010 10:37:23 PM
Old 07-10-2010
Thank you, every one.

My origin idea is too naive.

I want each client can run light graphic program, like cash register, the speed and length is the main problem, only ethernet(cheep) can do that. Serial connection is slow and short, can't do much help.

At last I have to choise the thin client, made by embedded system device, connected by ethernet.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

App for internet access on unix terminals

I am trying to find out what I should install to provide internet access and browsing possibilities on multiple unix terminals. Can anybody help? TNXS (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jigger
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding UNIX dumb terminals

Respected members of the Forum, This is my first post. I have a few questions regarding dumb terminals and VT100 dumb terminal emulators. I have to connect a few dumb terminals to an IRIX server There are two options 1) Use Dumb terminals directly 2) Use a Terminal emulator like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ummeed11
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux Support?

If the strength of Unix based operating systems such as Linux and Red Hat are based on the fact that they are open-source. Who will provide support for personal computers or average users that uses these operating systems. Wouldn't the absence of some structured and formal support system inhibit... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

one command for all unix terminals

Hi, I am working in huge environment, I do type commands from my terminal window repeadly in all same setup unix environments. I am looking some kind of a terminal emulator or some simple program that will help me? basically if type command like 'ls' in one unix terminal window it should echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rgmekala
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make sure kernel was compiled with NFS server support

Hi there, I have a Debian Squeeze server. How can I check if my kernel was compiled with NFS server support? Extra question: if it is not, how do I enable NFS support in my kernel? Thanks for your help. Santiago (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Chat program between two soft terminals of my Linux machine

here i havent tried to make a communication between two terminals of different machines not either any socket program my simple aim is use ipc for chat between two soft terminals(tty's) here is my view two terminals with two applications working on same fifo one fifo b/w two terminals try... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyam.sunder91
3 Replies
RARPD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  RARPD(8)

NAME
rarpd - reverse address resolution protocol daemon SYNOPSIS
rarpd [-v] [-i interface ] DESCRIPTION
Rarpd listens on the ethernet for broadcast packets asking for reverse address resolution. These packets are sent by hosts at boot time to find out their IP address. Rarpd looks up the six octet ethernet number in the ethers map finding a host name. This name is translated to the IP address of the host by a DNS lookup. The IP address is then sent to the host. Before rarpd can start its service it first finds out what the IP address and hardware address of the ethernet is. Warning! Sun diskless workstations assume that the first RARP server that answers is the host they are to boot from. For this to work all other Sun RARP servers delay their answer if they are not also the requestors boot server. This rarpd does not have this kludge so it will happily engage the Sun boot server to see who can answer the client first. Unless your host can actually serve a Sun diskless client, it is better not to list any more hosts in the ethers file than necessary. OPTIONS
-v Be verbose. Show requests which the daemon is responding to. -i Bind to the named interface. By default rarpd binds to the default interface for the local system type, if available. SEE ALSO
ifconfig(8), ethers(5), hosts(5), AUTHOR
Derrick J. Brashear (shadow@dementia.org) The man page is mostly from the Minix version, by Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) RARPD(8)