Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX FILE COPY
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users AIX FILE COPY Post 302436057 by zaxxon on Friday 9th of July 2010 05:29:25 AM
Old 07-09-2010
I doubt there is a faster tool. If this is a repeated task, maybe think about using the snapshot command to split off a snapshot and get a backup of those files so your production can run undisturbed meanwhile.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remote file copy across 2 systems (AIX and SCO)

Hello, Pls i need to copy some data from AIX Unix 4.3 to a SCO Openserve 5.0.5 using rcp command. But i keep on having permission error. WHAT IS THE SOLTION OR WHAT COMMAND CAN I USE AGAIN (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aji
4 Replies

2. AIX

Need basic disk copy routine for AIX 3

I'm using AIX 3 on IBM PowerStation 520's in a couple of flight simulators where I work. I recently upgraded our disk systems from three 355Mb disks to single 2GB flashdisks. The disk backup utility provided by the manufacturer will only copy 355Mb disks. I need a basic disk copy routine... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tekmeister
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy/Paste text as commands in AIX

Hello, I'm absolutely new to this world... but I've a problem with a terminal connected via PuTTY (or Termlite) to an AIX 5.1 application. The problem: I need to paste from clipboard a text containing both input text strings and special keys as ESC, Arrows and so on, to execute in the AIX... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Daniele11
1 Replies

4. AIX

Copy command in Aix for Symbolic Links

I need to copy a directory from a production system to a test system on the same Aix server. However I need to ensure that the soft links are preserved as part of the copy ( therefore I guess the cp command is not the way to go ) What command can I use in Aix to achieve this copy ? thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy a file from a dvd to the local AIX file system

Hi, I am a newbie to AIX, so please bear with me. I have mounted a dvd drive on AIX. I am trying to copy the file that is on the dvd drive on to the local machine. However, I get an error: cp: c1m_0001.gz: A system call received a parameter that is not valid. Can some one point me to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anurag1510
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX File Copy

TAR AND CPIO not quick enough - OS LEVEL 5.2 We need to copy millions of files around 42gb. Ls command does not come back complaining of memory. A basic copy comes back with i cant read the directory. TAR too slow, left running for 48 hours but killed as users were accessing the system. Does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steve connell
1 Replies

7. AIX

Mount a SAN LUN which contains clone copy - AIX 6.1

Hello Everyone, Can someone help me to mount a SAN hdisk which contains a clone data copy(san) of the remote server to the another machine. Both servers are running in AIX. Thanks in advance ! Regards, Gowtham.G (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy the directory but not copy certain file

Hi experts cp bin root src /mnt but not copy bin/bigfile any help? ( I post this thread in the "redhat" forum wrongly, I don't know how to withdraw that question in that wrong forum) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
6 Replies

9. AIX

How to copy file from Windows to AIX using SCP?

Hi I'd like to copy file ( or directory ) from a window server to an unix server using scp command, something like this scp -rp admin@10.0.99.99:C:\Documents and Settings\abc.txt /home/oracle/abc.txtI tried testing something like command above but nothing worked. Somebody help !! Thank you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
7 Replies
fssnap(1M)						  System Administration Commands						fssnap(1M)

NAME
fssnap - create temporary snapshots of a file system SYNOPSIS
fssnap [-F FSType] [-V] -o special_options /mount/point fssnap -d [-F FSType] [-V] /mount/point | dev fssnap -i [-F FSType] [-V] [-o special_options] [/mount/point | dev] DESCRIPTION
The fssnap command creates a stable, read-only snapshot of a file system when given either an active mount point or a special device con- taining a mounted file system, as in the first form of the synopsis. A snapshot is a temporary image of a file system intended for backup operations. While the snapshot file system is stable and consistent, an application updating files when the snapshot is created might leave these files in an internally inconsistent, truncated, or otherwise unusable state. In such a case, the snapshot will contain these partially written or corrupted files. It is a good idea to ensure active applications are suspended or checkpointed and their associated files are also consis- tent during snapshot creation. File access times are not updated while the snapshot is being created. A path to the virtual device that contains this snapshot is printed to standard output when a snapshot is created. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Deletes the snapshot associated with the given file system. -F FSType Specifies the file system type to be used. The FSType should either be specified here or be determined by matching the block special device with an entry in the /etc/vfstab table, or by consulting /etc/default/fs. -i Displays the state of any given FSType snapshot. If a mount-point or device is not given, a list of all snapshots on the system is displayed. When a mount-point or device is specified, detailed information is provided for the specified file system snapshot by default. The format and meaning of this information is file-system dependent. See the FSType-specific fssnap man page for details. -o special_options See the FSType-specific man page for fssnap. -V Echoes the complete command line, but does not execute the command. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: /mount/point The directory where the file system resides. EXAMPLES
See FSType-specific man pages for examples. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. FILES
/etc/vfstab Specifies file system type. /etc/default/fs Specifies the default local file system type. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fssnap_ufs(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
This command might not be supported for all FSTypes. SunOS 5.10 11 Aug 2004 fssnap(1M)