Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting print lines from a file containing key word Post 302435519 by tomjones on Wednesday 7th of July 2010 01:50:12 PM
Old 07-07-2010
print lines from a file containing key word

i have a file containing over 1 million records,and i want to print about 300,000 line containing a some specific words.

file has content.
eg

Code:
1,rrt,234
3,fgt,678
4,crf,456
5,cde,drt
6,cfg,123

and i want to print the line with the word fgt,crf

this is just an example,my file is so huge,i have tried using
Code:
grep fgt filename

and
Code:
awk '/fgt/' filename

but it is so slow
is there a way where i can get the data faster

Last edited by vgersh99; 07-07-2010 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: code tags, please!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for key word within a file

Hello, I have a directory that holds all of my matlab codes. I am trying to run a searh on all of the matlab files that have the word "while" written inside the sytax of the code. Looking for all of the times that I did a while loop. Can someone help me do this? Thanks in advance. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moradwan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a word and print n lines before and after the match

how to find a word and print n lines before and after the match until a blank line is encounterd (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
14 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Tru to print the last name and first name using key word

I am new to shell scripting and trying to do the below Stan:Smith:Detroit:MI Jim:Jones:Farmington Hills:MI Jack:Frost:Denver:CO Sue:Apple:New York:NY Cindy:Thompson:Battle Creek:MI John:Smith:Denver:CO George:Jones:New York:NY Need to create a shell script This script will display the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jakemathew
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print few lines before and after matching word is found suing grep?

Hi, here are few lines present in the logs. I want to grep on Error and print few lines before and after Error word is found line1 Line2 Line3 Error Line4 Line5 Line6 Line7 I want the output to be Line2 Line3 Error Line5 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arghadeep adity
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script @ Find a key word and If the key word matches then replace next 7 lines only

Hi All, I have a XML file which is looks like as below. <<please see the attachment >> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <esites> <esite> <name>XXX.com</name> <storeId>10001</storeId> <module> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeev_hbk
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - Print lines if only matching key is found

I am looking to move matching lines (01 - 07) from File1 and 77 tab the matching string from File2, to File3.txt. I am almost done but - Currently, script is not printing lines to File3.txt in order. Thanks a lot. Any help is appreciated. Script I am using: awk 'FNR == NR && ! /^]*$/ {... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: High-T
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a specific word and print only the word from the input file

Hi, I have a sample file as shown below, I am looking for sed or any command which prints the complete word only from the input file. Ex: $ cat "sample.log" I am searching for a word which is present in this file We can do a pattern search using grep but I need to cut only the word which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_kumarcs
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find key pattern and print selected lines for each record

Hi, I need help on a complicated file that I am working on. I wanted to extract important info from a very huge file. It is space delimited file. I have hundred thousands of records in this file. An example content of the inputfile as below:- ## ID Ser402 Old; 23... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update a specific field in file with Variable value based on other Key Word

I have an input file with A=xyz B=pqr I would want the value in Second Field (xyz or pqr) updated with a value present in Shell Variable based on the value passed in the first field. (A or B ) while read line do NEW_VALUE = `some functionality done on $line` If $line=First Field-... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search for word in huge logfile and need to continue to print few lines from that line til find date

Guys i need an idea for one logic..in shell scripting am struggling with a logic...So the thing is... i need to search for a word in a huge log file and i need to continue to print few more lines from that line and the consecutive line has to end when it finds the line with date..because i know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prathi
1 Replies
GSLP(1) 							    Ghostscript 							   GSLP(1)

NAME
gslp - Format and print text using ghostscript gsbj - Format and print text for BubbleJet printer using ghostscript gsdj - Format and print text for DeskJet printer using ghostscript gsdj500 - Format and print text for DeskJet 500 BubbleJet using ghostscript gslj - Format and print text for LaserJet printer using ghostscript SYNOPSIS
gslp -12BclqRr -b<header> -f<font> -F<hfont> -L<lines> -p<outfile> -T<n> --add-to-space <units> --add-to-width <units> --columns <n> --detect --first-page <n> --kern <file.afm> --last-page <n> --(heading|footing)-(left|center|right) <string> --margin-(top|bot- tom|left|right) <inches> --no-eject-(file|formfeed) --spacing <n> [gs options] [files] gsbj [options] [files] gsdj [options] [files] gsdj500 [options] [files] gslj [options] [files] DESCRIPTION
This utility provides functionality approximately equivalent to the Unix enscript(1) program. It prints plain text files using a single font. It currently handles tabs and formfeeds, but not backspaces. It will line-wrap when using fixed-pitch fonts. It will also do kern- ing and width adjustment. The default device (-sDEVICE=) and resolution (-r) are as follows: gslp epson 180 gsbj bj10e 180 gsdj deskjet 300 gsdj500 djet500 300 gslj laserjet 300 By default the current date is formatted as the center header. OPTIONS
Standard switches implemented: -12BclqRr -b<header> -f<font> -F<hfont> -L<lines> -p<outfile> Sun switches implemented: -T<n> set tab width Switches ignored: -GghKkmow -# -C -d -J -n -P -S -s -t -v Switches added: --add-to-space <units> add the given number of 1/72" units to the width of each space (may be negative) --add-to-width <units> add the given number of 1/72" units to the width of each character (may be negative) --columns <n> print in <n> columns --detect treat the file as PostScript if it starts with %! --first-page <n> start printing at page <n> --kern <file.afm> kern using information from the given .AFM file --last-page <n> stop printing after page <n> --(heading|footing)-(left|center|right) <string> set the heading/footing fields; use -B first to clear --margin-(top|bottom|left|right) <inches> set a margin --no-eject-(file|formfeed) end-of-file/FF only starts a new column, not a new sheet --spacing <n> use double (n=2), triple (n=3), etc. spacing Also, the string %# in a heading or footing is replaced with the page #. SEE ALSO
gs(1) VERSION
This document was last revised for Ghostscript version 8.63. AUTHOR
Artifex Software, Inc. are the primary maintainers of Ghostscript. This manpage by George Ferguson. 8.63 1 August 2008 GSLP(1)