Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting delete new line character ( - ) , korn shell Post 302435269 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 7th of July 2010 01:38:58 AM
Old 07-07-2010
Code:
awk -F- 'NF>1{getline x;$0=$1x$2}1' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete last character of a line?

Hello, I think I'm close to doing this, but I could be wrong. I have a string I would like to search for and delete the last character of the that line. This is what I have... sed 's/POHEAD\(.\)$//g' tempd > tempe The above works if I search for P, but that won't work. I need to search... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctcuser
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete a line based on first character of the line

Hi, I need to delete all lines in a file which starts with "|" character. Can some one assist me? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borncrazy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in character replacement in Korn Shell

How do I replace a space " " character at a particular position in a line? e.g. I have a file below $ cat i2 111 002 A a 33 0011 B c 2222 003 C a I want all the 1st spaces to be replaced with forward slash "/" and the 3rd spaces to have 5 spaces to get the output below: 111/002... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to delete character in a line

Hi, Please help me to edit a file, with the following changes, 1) serach for XYZ , appears at the start of line, delete a character present in specified column number in a line. 2) This needs to be repeated in multiple rows and not the entire file Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abc_81
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete the line started with nondigit or newline character

i want to delete the line which is not started with numeric in vim. vim temp.txt Volume in drive D is DATA Volume Serial Number is 8C52-2055 Directory of D:\data\notes 02/16/2010 03:09 PM <DIR> . 02/16/2010 03:09 PM <DIR> .. 09/11/1999 03:03 AM ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manabhanjan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete extra character in a line?

And I want to delete the characters longer than 20 for each line start with #. The other lines should remain the same. I think this can be done by sed. Could anyone help me with this? Thanks! my input file: #ZP_05494889.1_Clostridium_papyrosolvens... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritacc
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print pipe separated list as line by line in Korn Shell

Korn Shell in AIX 6.1 I want to print the below shown pipe (|) separated list line by line. line=es349889|nhb882309|ts00293|snh03524|bg578835|bg37900|rnh00297|py882201|sg175883 for i in line do echo "Hello $line " done I wanted to execute the above for loop. But i can't even set the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: polavan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line based on count of specific character

I'm looking for what I hope might be a one liner along these lines: sed '/a line with more than 3 pipes in it/d' I know how to get the pipe count in a string and store it in a variable, but I'm greedy enough to hope that it's possible via regex in the /.../d context. Am I asking too much? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: delete on each line before a character and after a character

Hi there, A total sed noob here. Is there a way using sed to delete everything before a character AND after another character on each line in a file? The deletion should also delete the indicating characters(here: an opening and a closing parenthesis). The original file would look like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bnbsd
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
read(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   read(1)

NAME
read - read a line from standard input SYNOPSIS
var ... DESCRIPTION
reads a single line from standard input. The line is split into fields as when processed by the shell (refer to shells in the first field is assigned to the first variable var, the second field to the second variable var, and so forth. If there are more fields than there are specified var operands, the remaining fields and their intervening separators are assigned to the last var. If there are more vars than fields, the remaining vars are set to empty strings. The setting of variables specified by the var operands affect the current shell execution environment. Standard input to can be redirected from a text file. Since affects the current shell execution environment, it is usually provided as a normal shell special (built-in) command. Thus, if it is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment similar to the following, it does not affect the shell variables in the caller's environment: Options recognizes the following options: Do not treat a backslash character in any special way. Consider each backslash to be part of the input line. Opperands recognizes the following operands: var The name of an existing or nonexisting shell variable. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the internal field separators used to delimit fields. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: 0 Successful completion. >0 End-of-file was detected or an error occurred. EXAMPLES
Print a file with the first field of each line moved to the end of the line. while read -r xx yy do printf "%s %s " "$yy" "$xx" done < input_file SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
read(1)