Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using perl to obtain stats instead of grep Post 302434950 by turk451 on Tuesday 6th of July 2010 01:32:29 AM
Old 07-06-2010
Hi Jeffers,

I would probably pre-filter the data using shell commands. One command you could use just to count the number of unique users would be:
Code:
cut -f 4 -d',' data.dat | sort | uniq | wc -l

if the data file just contains a lot of duplicated entries that you want to pre-filter (assuming they are exact duplicates), just skip the cut step:
Code:
sort data.dat | uniq > data.dat.new

Then you can just run the regular script on the cleaned-up data set.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie to perl - Help with stats script

Hi, this is my first post so here goes..... I need help... I am trying to write a script to produce some stats based on a number of searches in a log file. Now i know how to do this using multiple variables which are really just greps, but I want a more efficent way of doing this as my poor... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ARwebble
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep using Perl

I'm using perl to do a grep of each line in a vendor file and find its occurrences in a specific directory. Any values found is saved in @dir. .....(file opened, etc.) .... while ($line=<FILE>){ @dir = `grep $line * `; } It's the specific usage of the system grep that I'm having... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavineq
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl grep

OK here's the situation: I have got these lines which I have got to parse. If the line contains a particular string and any element from a previously defined array I need to take that particular line and do some further processing. if ((grep(/$_/,$1)) && (grep($pattern,@myarr))) { #Do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute Grep in Perl.

$ grep edge test_1 |sort|uniq >result.txt $more result.txt edge-a-pas01.com 10.12.10.11 edge-b-pas02.com 10.12.10.12 edge-c-pas03.com 10.12.10.50 edge-d-pas03.com 10.12.10.10 how do we execute the above grep command using perl? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep in perl

Hello I want to grep a line from a file saved in some directory. Can anyone please correct the code below: #!/usr/bin/perl -w $file = "/home/output.txt" $grep_line = "closing zip for topic"; `grep $grep_line* $file`; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl + and Grep

Hi All i have this script that uses glob to look in /var/log/messages.* my @messagefiles = glob "/var/log/messages.*"; and the code that uses it is this grep { /NVRM: Xid/ } @messages) but this spits out this /var/log/messages-20111030:Oct 25 13:43:04 brent kernel: NVRM:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

GREP Issue in Perl

Im storing multiple functions in a varaible called $check... The variable check contains the following: a() b() c() ... ..etc now im checking individually which function is kept in which file using GREP if ( grep \$check \i, <FILE> ) The problem is im getting the output for the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkrishna89
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep in PERL

Hi, Can anybody let me know how this grep will work. The input and output is not known. Also can you give me the details of any link where i can find clearly about grep Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep a pattern in perl?

hello Everyone i am a newbie. i have a file which contains the following E:\gtmproj\script\i486_nt\obj\check_geomtools.exe: o:\portsrc\spg\system_1\i486_nt\advapps\TK-2\objmt\winclockmtq.lib E:\gtmproj\script\i486_nt\obj\check_geomtools.exe:... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rashid Khan
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in solving to obtain desired print output using awk or perl or any commands, Please help!!

I have an file which have data in lines as follows ad, findline=24,an=54,ab=34,av=64,ab=7989,ab65=34,aj=323,ay=34,au=545,ad=5545 ab,abc,an10=23,an2=24,an31=32,findline=00,an33=23,an32=26,an40=45,ac23=5,ac=87,al=76,ad=26... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepKrish
3 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq -- report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [-c | -d | -u] [-i] [-f num] [-s chars] [input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
The uniq utility reads the specified input_file comparing adjacent lines, and writes a copy of each unique input line to the output_file. If input_file is a single dash ('-') or absent, the standard input is read. If output_file is absent, standard output is used for output. The second and succeeding copies of identical adjacent input lines are not written. Repeated lines in the input will not be detected if they are not adjacent, so it may be necessary to sort the files first. The following options are available: -c Precede each output line with the count of the number of times the line occurred in the input, followed by a single space. -d Only output lines that are repeated in the input. -f num Ignore the first num fields in each input line when doing comparisons. A field is a string of non-blank characters separated from adjacent fields by blanks. Field numbers are one based, i.e., the first field is field one. -s chars Ignore the first chars characters in each input line when doing comparisons. If specified in conjunction with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first num fields will be ignored. Character numbers are one based, i.e., the first character is character one. -u Only output lines that are not repeated in the input. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of uniq as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The uniq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
The historic +number and -number options have been deprecated but are still supported in this implementation. SEE ALSO
sort(1) STANDARDS
The uniq utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') as amended by Cor. 1-2002. HISTORY
A uniq command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BSD
December 17, 2009 BSD