Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Filling positions based on consensus character Post 302434420 by Xterra on Friday 2nd of July 2010 11:36:46 AM
Old 07-02-2010
I am still getting an error

This is what I get
Code:
$ awk -f 1.awk Input.txt | awk -f 2.awk - Input.txt > Output.txt
awk: 2.awk:3: for (i=1;i<=n;i++) if (b[i]=="-" b[i]=a[i];
awk: 2.awk:3:                                      ^ syntax error

So I ran it in two steps the first awk
Code:
$ awk -f 1.awk Input.txt > Intermediate.txt

then the second awk
Code:
$ awk -f 2.awk - Intermediate.txt > Output.txt

And I get the same error
Code:
awk: 2.awk:3: for (i=1;i<=n;i++) if (b[i]=="-" b[i]=a[i];
awk: 2.awk:3:                                      ^ syntax error

I am also attaching the input and intermediate files -the out outfile is empty
Thanks!

Last edited by Xterra; 07-02-2010 at 12:46 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script replace positions if certain positions equal prescribed value

I am attempting to replace positions 44-46 with YYY if positions 48-50 = XXX. awk -F "" '{if (substr($0,48,3)=="XXX") $44="YYY"}1' OFS="" $filename > $tempfile But this is not working, 44-46 is still spaces in my tempfile instead of YYY. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: halplessProblem
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

filling a character

in my file data is like this 1,2,3 3,4,5,6,7,8 10,11,23,24 i want to make as 1,2,3,?,?,? 3,4,5,6,7,8 10,11,23,24,?,? here max no of words(separated by comma) in a line is 6.so every line contains 6 words.Line which have less than 6 words replaced with '?' as a word i have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ubuntulinux
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

seds to extract fields based on positions

Hi My file has a series of rows up to 160 characters in length. There are 7 columns for each row. In each row, column 1 starts at position 4 column 2 starts at position 12 column 3 starts at position 43 column 4 starts at position 82 column 5 starts at... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: malts18
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract text between two character positions

Greetings. I need to extract text between two character positions, e.g: all text between character 4921 and 6534. The text blocks are FASTA-format sequence of whole chromosomes, so basically a million A, T, G, C, combinations. E.g: >Chr_1 ACCTGTTCAACTCTCAGGACTCTCAGGTCAACTCTCAG... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort based on positions in flat file

Hello, For example: 12........6789101112..............20212223242526..................50 ( Positions) LName FName DOB (Lastname starts from 1 to 6 , FName from 8 to 15 and date of birth from 21 to29) CURTIS KENNETH ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: duplicate
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join based on positions

I have two text files as shown below cat file1.txt Id leng sal mon 25671 34343 56565 5565 44888 56565 45554 6868 23343 23423 26226 6224 77765 88688 87464 6848 66776 23343 63463 4534 cat file2.txt Id number 25671 34343 76767 34234 23343 23423 66776 23343 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: halfafringe
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filling positions based on frequency

I have files with hundreds of sequences with frequency values reported as "Freq X" and missing characters represented by a dash ("-"), something like this >39sample Freq 4 TAGATGTGCCCGTGGGTTTCCCGTCAACACCGGATAGTAGCAGCACTA >22sample Freq 15 T-GATGTCGTGGGTTTCCCGTCAACACCGGCAAATAGTAGCAGCACTA... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter lines based on values at specific positions

hi. I have a Fixed Length text file as input where the character positions 4-5(two character positions starting from 4th position) indicates the LOB indicator. The file structure is something like below: 10126Apple DrinkOmaha 10231Milkshake New Jersey 103 Billabong Illinois ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
6 Replies
TFBS::Word::Consensus(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				TFBS::Word::Consensus(3pm)

NAME
TFBS::Word - IUPAC DNA consensus word-based pattern class =head1 DESCRIPTION TFBS::Word is a base class consisting of universal constructor called by its subclasses (TFBS::Matrix::*), and word pattern manipulation methods that are independent of the word type. It is not meant to be instantiated itself. FEEDBACK
Please send bug reports and other comments to the author. AUTHOR - Boris Lenhard Boris Lenhard <Boris.Lenhard@cgb.ki.se> APPENDIX
The rest of the documentation details each of the object methods. Internal methods are preceded with an underscore. new Title : new Usage : my $pwm = TFBS::Matrix::PWM->new(%args) Function: constructor for the TFBS::Matrix::PWM object Returns : a new TFBS::Matrix::PWM object Args : # you must specify the -word argument: -word, # a strig consisting of letters in # IUPAC degenerate DNA alphabet # (any of ACGTSWKMPYBDHVN) ####### -name, # string, OPTIONAL -ID, # string, OPTIONAL -class, # string, OPTIONAL -tags # a hash reference reference, OPTIONAL search_seq Title : search_seq Usage : my $siteset = $pwm->search_seq(%args) Function: scans a nucleotide sequence with the pattern represented by the PWM Returns : a TFBS::SiteSet object Args : # you must specify either one of the following three: -file, # the name od a fasta file (single sequence) #or -seqobj # a Bio::Seq object # (more accurately, a Bio::PrimarySeqobject or a # subclass thereof) #or -seqstring # a string containing the sequence -max_mismatches, # number of allowed positions in the site that do # not match the consensus # OPTIONAL: default 0 search_aln Title : search_aln Usage : my $site_pair_set = $pwm->search_aln(%args) Function: Scans a pairwise alignment of nucleotide sequences with the pattern represented by the word: it reports only those hits that are present in equivalent positions of both sequences and exceed a specified threshold score in both, AND are found in regions of the alignment above the specified conservation cutoff value. Returns : a TFBS::SitePairSet object Args : # you must specify either one of the following three: -file, # the name of the alignment file in Clustal format #or -alignobj # a Bio::SimpleAlign object # (more accurately, a Bio::PrimarySeqobject or a # subclass thereof) #or -alignstring # a multi-line string containing the alignment # in clustal format ############# -max_mismatches, # number of allowed positions in the site that do # not match the consensus # OPTIONAL: default 0 -window, # size of the sliding window (inn nucleotides) # for calculating local conservation in the # alignment # OPTIONAL: default 50 -cutoff # conservation cutoff (%) for including the # region in the results of the pattern search # OPTIONAL: default "70%" to_PWM validate_word length perl v5.14.2 2008-01-24 TFBS::Word::Consensus(3pm)