Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - Pre-populating an array from system command output Post 302434213 by alister on Thursday 1st of July 2010 10:09:08 PM
Old 07-01-2010
Instead of:
Quote:
Originally Posted by treesloth
Code:
        while ((getline system("ls -al"))

... try:
Code:
while ("ls -al" | getline)

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk help with populating variable

Hi, I'm looking for help trying to parse a data stream. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My awk statement is awk '/Aug/{a=$2}/vol/{print a, host, $1, $2, $3, $4, $5}' out.txt Sample Data Stream "out.txt" ----------------------------- # Aug 3 00:00:00 2008 ===== DF =====... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmd2004
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

populating array using awk

Hi. I have a file with the following structer: DB DISK LOCATION SIZE ============================================ PROD DATA_01 /dev/dm-23 10 PROD DATA_02 /dev/dm-24 10 PROD DATA_03 /dev/dm-25 10 DEV DATA_04 /dev/dm-26 10 DEV DATA_05 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Populating array raised an error

Hi, The following test case populate an array named: array3. Since array1 and array2 are equal in length and values array3 will remain empty. #!/usr/bin/ksh test() { set -A array1 "A" set -A array2 "A" NUM_1=`echo ${#array1}` print "num elenemt in NUM_1 is ${NUM_1}" i=1 for ELE2 in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Populating an Array

Guys, I need to iterate populate an array while going over files in directory. Can someone please tell me syntax I tried this but it isn't working ==> for F in `ls -p "${directory1}" | grep -v "\/"` do cd "${directory2}" cmp "${directory2}"/"${F}" "${directory1}"/"${F}" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Veenak15
2 Replies

5. Programming

C system() how to send the output to an array??

Hi, im in need if wisdom here guys... How could I store the output of commands like ping integrally directly into a array??? I'll be using system() to run the commands but how can I send the output to an array??? cuz I need to store it so that I can later copy the array's content to a buffer... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jess83
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

System Output in to an Array or variable

hey guys in only new to scripting as such, but i have a problem. i want to take the output of a search i do in the command line to then be in a variable but only a certain part of the output. this this what im doing: -bash-2.05b$ ldapsearch -x '(dn:=dc)' dc|grep dc= # base... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmorey
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help populating double quotes using awk

Want to populate double quotes for each filed using awk: Input: cat file.txt => "1-23-test_test1-test2" Required output : "1-23-test_test1-test2"|"#GT_properties_xyz" Was trying the below command on solaris 9 machine : awk -F"|" '{print $1"|""#GT_properties_xyz"}' file.txt ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajachandhok
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh : need to store the output of a awk command to a array

I have awk command : awk -F ' ' '{ print $NF }' log filename And it gives the output as below: 06:00:00 parameters: SDS (2) no no no no doc=4000000000). information: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramprabhum
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Populating a BASH array with a list of files including spaces-in-the-name

For the record, I already tried telling mgmt and the users to disallow spaces in filenames for this script, but it isn't happening for a number of ID10T-error-based reasons. I have simple list of 3 files in a directory that are named like this: bash-3.2$ ls -1 file* file1 file1 part2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help in populating output in table using shell scripting

Below is my code where i tried using table tag to print out put in table but its not working #!/bin/ksh #] && . ./.profile 2>/dev/null if test -f '.profile'; then . ./.profile; fi; #. .profile LOG_DIR=/app/rpx/jobs/scripts/just/logs sendEmail() { pzCType="$1";... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankit.mca.aaidu
5 Replies
GETLINE(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						GETLINE(3)

NAME
getdelim, getline -- get a line from a stream LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> ssize_t getdelim(char ** restrict linep, size_t * restrict linecapp, int delimiter, FILE * restrict stream); ssize_t getline(char ** restrict linep, size_t * restrict linecapp, FILE * restrict stream); DESCRIPTION
The getdelim() function reads a line from stream, delimited by the character delimiter. The getline() function is equivalent to getdelim() with the newline character as the delimiter. The delimiter character is included as part of the line, unless the end of the file is reached. The caller may provide a pointer to a malloced buffer for the line in *linep, and the capacity of that buffer in *linecapp. These functions expand the buffer as needed, as if via realloc(). If linep points to a NULL pointer, a new buffer will be allocated. In either case, *linep and *linecapp will be updated accordingly. RETURN VALUES
The getdelim() and getline() functions return the number of characters written, excluding the terminating NUL character. The value -1 is returned if an error occurs, or if end-of-file is reached. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment reads lines from a file and writes them to standard output. The fwrite() function is used in case the line con- tains embedded NUL characters. char *line = NULL; size_t linecap = 0; ssize_t linelen; while ((linelen = getline(&line, &linecap, fp)) > 0) fwrite(line, linelen, 1, stdout); ERRORS
These functions may fail if: [EINVAL] Either linep or linecapp is NULL. [EOVERFLOW] No delimiter was found in the first SSIZE_MAX characters. These functions may also fail due to any of the errors specified for fgets() and malloc(). SEE ALSO
fgetln(3), fgets(3), malloc(3) STANDARDS
The getdelim() and getline() functions conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
These routines first appeared in FreeBSD 8.0. BUGS
There are no wide character versions of getdelim() or getline(). BSD
November 30, 2010 BSD