Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to get all ip addresses of servers into a file Post 302433977 by brian112 on Thursday 1st of July 2010 04:02:25 AM
Old 07-01-2010
script to get all ip addresses of servers into a file

Hi all

i need to create a script that pings every server in my range (0-254) adn then returns the values to a file? can anyone please help. i am working in the tcsh ( and yes i know how to ping ) but i dont know how to ping them all in one script without copying and pasting a 254 times?

can anyone help please?

kind regards.

Brian

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Script to ping servers in a file

I would like to ping a list of servers in a text file. Can anyone help? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gbarkhor
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a sheel script to compare no of file on diffrent servers

i have serverA and serverB and i have a folder with same name an location in both servers.... Now i want to compare files in folder(serverA) with folder (serverB) if there are files missing in folderB then copy those files from folder(serverA) to folder(serverB) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashahzad
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix shell script which inserts some records into a file located in remote servers...

All, I need to write an unix shell script which inserts some records into a file located in remote servers. * Get the input from the user and insert according the first row. It should be in ascending order. 123451,XA,ABA 123452,XB,ABB 123453,XC,ABC 123455,XE,ABE 123456,XF,ABF 123458,XG,ABG... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techychap
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to SCP a file to multiple servers

Hi All, I am a total noob to the Unix world, and i hope to learn a lot from this wonderful community. Here's my first post and question , i am trying to SCP a file to multiple servers (multiple destinations) through this little script : #!/bin/ksh # copy files # File to be copied... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdlover
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script checking for a file in various servers

I am trying to write a script that checks whether or not, a file exists on multiple servers. My code / logic so far is: #!/usr/bin/ksh print "Enter File name to be checked" read MYFILE ssh server1 " cd /var/opt/logs ; if then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: momin
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell script to check the /etc/default/kbd file on a list of SUN servers

Hello, I want to create a shell script that would check the file "/etc/default/kbd" for the entry KEYBOARD_ABORT=alternate on a list of SUN Solaris servers. If this entry is not uncommented (without #) then I should get a message/error report for the host which does not have the setting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a sed script to change ip addresses in a file

So I'm new to this sed command and I am trying to create a script that replaces ip addresses when I name a file but can't tweak it to work. Here is what it looks like: #!/bin/bash # file=$1 # sed -e 's/-CPUaddr 10.30.10.166/-CPUaddr 10.30.10.151/g' -i "$file" sed -e 's/-CPUaddr... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: uradunce
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need bash script to ping the servers and rename the output file each time the script is ran

HI, I have a file serverlist in that all host names are placed. i have written a small script #./testping #! /bin/bash for i in `cat serverlist` do ping $i >> output.txt done so now it creates a file output.txt till here fine.. now each time i run this script the output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhudeva
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to overwrite & before that keep copy a file on many servers

I have ssh password less auth enable & script does the job well as well #/bin/bash for i in `cat ip` do scp /etc/resolv.conf root@$ip done But I need to take backup of the file i will overwrite .. is there any simple way ? Kindly respond (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman96
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script getting IP's and MAC addresses

Hy over there, Lets make it simple :) Using a bash script, how to grep only the ip address and the mac address and put them in a file:. for example from the dhcp.conf file we got such things: The script will end up with two columns IP's and MAC adresses as it is showed below: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hermouche
9 Replies
nisping(1M)                                                                                                                            nisping(1M)

NAME
nisping - send ping to NIS+ servers SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/nis/nisping [-uf] [-H hostname] [-r | directory] /usr/lib/nis/nisping -C [-a] [-H hostname] [directory] In the first line, the nisping command sends a ``ping'' to all replicas of an NIS+ directory. Once a replica receives a ping, it will check with the master server for the directory to get updates. Prior to pinging the replicas, this command attempts to determine the last update "seen" by a replica and the last update logged by the master. If these two timestamps are the same, the ping is not sent. The -f (force) option will override this feature. Under normal circumstances, NIS+ replica servers get the new information from the master NIS+ server within a short time. Therefore, there should not be any need to use nisping. In the second line, the nisping -C command sends a checkpoint request to the servers. If no directory is specified, the home domain, as returned by nisdefaults(1), is checkpointed. If all directories, served by a given server, have to be checkpointed, then use the -a option. On receiving a checkpoint request, the servers would commit all the updates for the given directory from the table log files to the data- base files. This command, if sent to the master server, will also send updates to the replicas if they are out of date. This option is needed because the database log files for NIS+ are not automatically checkpointed. nisping should be used at frequent intervals (such as once a day) to checkpoint the NIS+ database log files. This command can be added to the crontab(1) file. If the database log files are not checkpointed, their sizes will continue to grow. If the server specified by the -H option does not serve the directory, then no ping is sent. Per-server and per-directory access restrictions may apply; see nisopaccess(1). nisping uses NIS_CPTIME and NIS_PING (resync (ping) of replicas), or NIS_CHECKPOINT (for checkpoint). Since the NIS_PING operation does not return a status, the nisping command is typically unable to indicate success or failure for resyncs. -a Checkpoint all directories on the server. -C Send a request to checkpoint, rather than a ping, to each server. The servers schedule to commit all the transactions to stable storage. -H hostname Only the host hostname is sent the ping, checked for an update time, or checkpointed. -f Force a ping, even though the timestamps indicate there is no reason to do so. This option is useful for debugging. -r This option can be used to update or get status about the root object from the root servers, especially when new root replicas are added or deleted from the list. If used without -u option, -r will send a ping request to the servers serving the root domain. When the replicas receive a ping, they will update their root object if needed. The -r option can be used with all other options except with the -C option; the root object need not be checkpointed. -u Display the time of the last update; no servers are sent a ping. -1 No servers were contacted, or the server specified by the -H switch could not be contacted. 0 Success. 1 Some, but not all, servers were successfully contacted. Example 1: Using nisping This example pings all replicas of the default domain: example% nisping Note that this example will not ping the org_dir and groups_dir subdirectories within this domain. This example pings the server example which is a replica of the org_dir.foo.com. directory: example% nisping -H example org_dir.foo.com. This example checkpoints all servers of the org_dir.bar.com. directory. example% nisping -C org_dir.bar.com. NIS_PATH If this variable is set, and the NIS+ directory name is not fully qualified, each directory specified will be searched until the directory is found. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ crontab(1), nisdefaults(1), nisopaccess(1), nislog(1M), nisfiles(4), attributes(5) NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. 12 Dec 2001 nisping(1M)