Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Inputting text to a specific line of a file Post 302433647 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 30th of June 2010 07:12:50 AM
Old 06-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC89
I just tried running that Frankin and get an error;
Code:
bash-2.05$ awk '/Bottom line/{system("grep -i test *")1' test.txt > newfile
awk: syntax error near line 1
awk: illegal statement near line 1

Any ideas? This is on Solaris10 if it helps Smilie
Sorry, I had a typo in the code:
Code:
awk '/Bottom line/{system("grep -i test *")}1' test.txt > newfile
mv newfile test.txt

Use nawk or /usr/xpg4/bin/awk on Solaris.

Regards

Last edited by Franklin52; 06-30-2010 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Typo
This User Gave Thanks to Franklin52 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

jumping to a specific line in a text file

hi everybody! i need to read a specific line from a text file using C. can any one suggest how to do it. i m aware abt fread(), fwrite(), fseek()... but using these allows the pointer to be moved 1 character at a time. Is there a way i could jump directly to a line if i know the line number?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridula
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding specific text and spaces to each line in a text file

Hi, I wanted to add specific text to each row in a text file containing three rows. Example: 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8 9 0 7 9 7 8 9 0 1 2 And I want to add a 21 at the beginning of the first row, and blank spaces at the beginning of the second two rows. To get this: 21 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify Specific Line of a Text File

Given a text file, how do you add a line of text after a specific line number? I believe I would want to use "sed" but I am unsure of the syntax. Thank you. Mike (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem inserting text into file after specific line

this is utterly embarassing :( after posting here i revisited my files and found that when i used "vi" instead of a gui based editor, i suddenly found that the indentations were in fact wrong :( sorry about this :( (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mocca
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from a specific line in a text file

hello, I have got the following problem that I am hoping someone can help with please. 1. I have got the following text file (below) , the columns data are 'Test Day', 'Board', 'Betting Number'. TEXT FILE ============================================ 1 3 02-01-27-28-29-30 0 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jermaine4ever
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from a specific line in a text file

Hello, I have a problem which is giving me headache for days, can some please help. Please see code and text fiel below. Please see text in red for the problem I am facing # Program gets an input x from user while read line ; do echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jermaine4ever
4 Replies

7. Linux

Get a specific line number from a text file

Hello! All, Could you please tell me how to get a specific line number from a text file? For example below, ABC DEF ---> Get this line number, return to an variable GHI My OS is Linux. Thank you so much for your help in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: barryxian
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how read specific line in a file and write it in a new text file?

I have list of files in a directory 'dir'. Each file is of type HTML. I need to read each file and get the string which starts with 'http' and write them in a new text file. How can i do this shell scripting? file1.html <head> <url>http://www.google.com</url> </head> file2.html <head>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update specific field in a line of text file

I have a text file like this: subject1:LecturerA:10 subject2:LecturerA:40 if I was given string in column 1 and 2 (which are subject 1 and LecturerA) , i need to update 3rd field of that line containing that given string , which is, number 10 need to be updated to 100 ,for example. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmtoan
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies
SHANTY(1)							      Shanty								 SHANTY(1)

NAME
Shanty - Makes a PostScript file from an image and some text. SYNOPSIS
shanty -i image_file [-t text_file] [-o output_file] [-s paper_size] [-d density] [-m margin] [-b background_color] [-x padding] [-n title] [-l orientation] [-rtl] [-btt] [-f font_name] [-altgd] DESCRIPTION
Shanty takes a text file and an image (PNG or JPG) and creates a PostScript file where one pixel in the image becomes one character in the PostScript. OPTIONS
-i, -image Name of the image to load in. JPG and PNG images are supported. This is the only compulsory field. -t, -text Name of the text file to load in, if omitted STDIN is used. -o, -output Name of the PostScript file to produce, if omitted STDOUT is used. -s, -size Size of the paper to work with. This field should be one of: "a0", "a2", "a3", "a4", "a5", "a6", "letter", "broadsheet", "ledger", "tabloid", "legal", "executive" and "36x36". Default is "a4". -d, -density Density of the text. Higher numbers are more dense, default is 1.4. -m, -margin The margins of the page in cm. Default is 1. -b, -background The colour of a backing rectangle to place behind the text. Colours are specified as "R,G,B" with each value between 0 and 255. "off" means no backing colour. Default is "off". -x, -p, -padding Density of the text. Higher numbers are more dense, default is 1.4. -n, -title The title of the output to write as meta-data in the PostScript file. Default is "Shanty output". -l, -orientation The orientation of the paper, can be "portrait", "landscape" or "auto". Default is "auto". -rtl Switch to right-to-left text. -btt Switch to bottom-to-top text. -f, -font Specify font. The font name specified must be visible to the not just make a font magically appear. Default is "Courier-Bold". -altgd If you have problems loading the GD library, try this switch. HOMEPAGE
<http://www.codebunny.org/coding/shanty/> AUTHOR
Duncan Martin <duncan@codebunny.org> ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Many thanks to DFB <http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~dfb/> and contributors to comp.lang.postscript. Duncan Martin 6 October 2006 SHANTY(1)