Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SED command explanation
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers SED command explanation Post 302433436 by Phil Stracchino on Tuesday 29th of June 2010 04:52:27 PM
Old 06-29-2010
In short, what this will do is the following: Given an arbitrary string containing one or more characters that are not | followed by a |, take everything after that | character and move it to the front of that whole pattern. So, for example, it would turn 'foo|bar' into 'barfoo|', but '||foo|bar' would become '||barfoo|'. The first | is bypassed because it has nothing on its left; the second is skipped because it has only another | on its left. 'bar' is moved after the leading || characters because they are not part of the pattern matched.

(Whether this is what was actually intended is another question.)

As a side note, 's/\([^|][^|]*|\)\(.*\)/\2\1/' is equivalent to the simpler pattern 's/\([^|]+|\)\(.*\)/\2\1/'. [^|] is the set of all characters which are not |, so [^|]* matches any zero or more characters that are not |, while [^|]+ matches any one or more such characters, which makes [^|][^|]* functionally identical to [^|]+ within the regexp.

O'Reilly has a good book on regular expressions. It covers things like this and much more.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command explanation needed

Hi, Could you please explain me the below statement -- phrase wise. sed -e :a -e '$q;N;'$cnt',$D;ba' abc.txt > xyz.txt if suppose $cnt contains value: 10 it copies last 9 lines of abc.txt to xyz.txt why it is copying last 9 rather than 10. and also what is ba and $D over there in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbukns
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

A sed doubt - need explanation

Hi, The following command works fine for me, but I could not grasp the logic working behind of sed command, it's obscure to me :( :confused: echo "./20080916/core/audioex.amr" | sed "s%\(\)/%\1_%g" o/p: ./20080916_core_audioex.amr Could anyone please explain to me in detail, that how... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

command line explanation

Hello everyone, I found this command line in a website: perl -pi.bak -we's/\z/Your new line\n/ if $. == 2;' your_text_file.txt With this command line you can insert a new line anywhere you want in a text without overwriting what's in it. -p causes perl to assume a loop around your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goude
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explanation for interesting sed behaviour?

This is my first post so hi to you all. I have browsed these forums in the past and what a great community and resource this is! Thanks to all the contributors ... I look forward to being able to give something back. In the meantime, I have a little conundrum concerning sed. My very simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gavster
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of the command sed -n -e 's_.*>\(.*\)<.*_\1_p' filename.xml

Hi Friends, I am trying to modify a script .The script contains this line: sed -n -e 's_.*>\(.*\)<.*_\1_p' filename.xml I am not great in sed command.I know, it is regular expression to match a pattern string that starts with s_ and ends with 1_.I doesnot give the desired result. Can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed sorting command explanation

sed '$!N; /^\(.*\)\n\1$/!P; D' i found this file which removes duplicates irrespective for sorted or unsorted file. keep first occurance and remove the further occurances. can any1 explain how this is working.. i need to remove duplicates following file. duplicate criteria is not the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukeshguliao
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

command explanation

can anyone please tell me what does this expression means , i am under probation and need some explanation :) $AUDIT_DIR -type f -mtime +$AUDIT_EXPIRE \ -exec rm {} > /dev/null 2>&1 \; AUDIT_DIR="/var/log/" AUDIT_EXPIRE='30' Please use code tags! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: semaan
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of the sort command

Hi everyone, I am wondering if someone could please break down and explain the following sort command for me: ls ${DEST_LOCATION}/${FILES} | sort -rt -k 4,4n | head -1 I have tried working it out using 'man sort', but on AIX there is not a great explanation of this function. I know that... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command explanation

Will someone give me an explanation on how the sed command below works. sed 's/.*//' Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Explanation of Nawk command

Hi Folks, I am struggling to understand nawk command which was used by another developer. Can you please explain what each character or string is doing here below: if ; then (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirans.229
3 Replies
fixnt(1)							      Debian								  fixnt(1)

NAME
fixnt - Filter for the Windows NT postscript printer driver. SYNOPSIS
fixnt < BADFILE.ps > GOODFILE.ps DESCRIPTION
The Windows NT postscript driver has a tendency to make broken postscript files, that are incompatible with psutils. fixnt is a filter that fixes these problems, allowing the use of psnup(1). The filter takes the broken postscript file on stdin, and outputs a fixed postscript file on stdout. It has no other form for invocation and takes no options on the command-line. OPTIONS
fixnt takes no options. BUGS
fixnt does not check for NTPSOct94. For a workaround, use a sed(1) command to replace 'NTPSOct94' with 'NTPSOct95', like so: sed 's/NTPSOct94/NTPSOct95/g' This is particularly important for Windows NT 3.5 users. AUTHOR
fixnt was written by Holger Bauer <Holger.Bauer@topmail.de>, Michael Rath <rath@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>, and Akim Demaille <demaille@inf.enst.fr>. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to the Authors, but avoid sending large postscript files. Patches are always welcome; send to <bauer@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>. SEE ALSO
psnup(1), sed(1) a2ps February 2003 fixnt(1)