Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Windows to UNIX issues
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Windows to UNIX issues Post 302433057 by jim mcnamara on Monday 28th of June 2010 10:03:55 AM
Old 06-28-2010
Code:
while :
do
  echo "text..."
  read ANS
  echo $ANS

done

That is an infinite loop, meaning it won't end unless the user presses ctrl/c or maybe ctrl/d.

You cannot trap signal 9. The error you have is that signal 15 is apparently not defined on your system.

Code:
kill -l

That is a lowercase -L will show you the signals on your system.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Windows,Solaris, Red Hat triple boot issues

I have a pentium IV with 512 MB ram and 80 GB HDD. I first installed windows XP on the first primary partition, then Solaris on the second with 20 GB for the solaris partition, and when rebooted , the grub menu functioned as expected giving me the options to dual boot, so next I wanted to install... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cygwin/X11 issues on Windows 7

Hi All, I recently upgraded to windows 7 and am therefore reinstalling cygwin/x11 after a long time. On XP I would start xterm from the startxwin.bat file. I am experiencing trouble starting with the startxwin executable which is the new recommended startup method as well as afew other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScKaSx
2 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows 7 64 bit issues with X11

Hi, I was hoping that somebody could assist me with the following issue. I recently installed a windows 7 64 bit professional on a desktop with following specs: Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450. (Which was a upgrade of a xp 32 bit based system) Since I'm more... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristofvdo
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issues with passwordless sftp2 from windows to Linux using F-Secure SSH Client

Hi, I am facing problems whie trying to do a passwordless ssh to Unix box from windows. Public key was generated using F-secure. When the F-secure client attempts it connects without password but when I try to use sftp2 in command line it prompts for password. I have tried several options and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhrajj
0 Replies
SIGNAL(3F)																SIGNAL(3F)

NAME
signal - change the action for a signal SYNOPSIS
integer function signal(signum, proc, flag) integer signum, flag external proc DESCRIPTION
When a process incurs a signal (see signal(3C)) the default action is usually to clean up and abort. The user may choose to write an alternative signal handling routine. A call to signal is the way this alternate action is specified to the system. Signum is the signal number (see signal(3C)). If flag is negative, then proc must be the name of the user signal handling routine. If flag is zero or positive, then proc is ignored and the value of flag is passed to the system as the signal action definition. In particu- lar, this is how previously saved signal actions can be restored. Two possible values for flag have specific meanings: 0 means "use the default action" (See NOTES below), 1 means "ignore this signal". A positive returned value is the previous action definition. A value greater than 1 is the address of a routine that was to have been called on occurrence of the given signal. The returned value can be used in subsequent calls to signal in order to restore a previous action definition. A negative returned value is the negation of a system error code. (See perror(3F)) FILES
/usr/lib/libU77.a SEE ALSO
signal(3C), kill(3F), kill(1) NOTES
f77 arranges to trap certain signals when a process is started. The only way to restore the default f77 action is to save the returned value from the first call to signal. If the user signal handler is called, it will be passed the signal number as an integer argument. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 15, 1985 SIGNAL(3F)