Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Processing data that contains space and quote delimiters Post 302432657 by RickS on Friday 25th of June 2010 05:01:10 PM
Old 06-25-2010
Processing data that contains space and quote delimiters

I need to write a Bash script to process a data file that is in this format:

1 A B C D E
2 F G "H H" I J

As you can see, the data is delimited by a space, but there are also some fields that contain spaces and are surrounded by double-quotes. An example of that is "H H".

I wrote this test script to display the 4th parameter:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
while read line
do
        echo "line=$line"
        param4=$(echo $line | cut -d" " -f4)
        echo "param4=$param4"
done

Here's what it displays:

line=1 A B C D E
param4=C
line=2 F G "H H" I J
param4="H

For the second line of data, I wanted the fourth parameter to be "H H" (without the quotes) instead of one double quote and one H. It is using the other H and the trailing double quote as parameter 5. That is not what I wanted.

How can I process this data?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing Data between first quote and next quote

I have input file like RDBMS FALIURE UTY8703 'USER_WORK.TEST' .HIghest return code '12' I want to parse data which comed between first quote till next quote USER_WORK.TEST can you please suggest how to do that (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorp_rahul23
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex in grep to match all lines ending with a double quote (") OR a single quote (')

Hi, I've been trying to write a regex to use in egrep (in a shell script) that'll fetch the names of all the files that match a particular pattern. I expect to match the following line in a file: Name = "abc" The regex I'm using to match the same is: egrep -l '(^) *= *" ** *"$' /PATH_TO_SEARCH... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NanJ
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove two delimiters, space and double quotes

I would like to know how to replace a space delimiter with a ^_ (\037) delimiter and a double quote delimiter while maintaining the spaces inside the double quotes. The double quote delimiter is only used on text fields. I'd prefer a one-liner, but could handle a function or script that accepts... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SteveDWin
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert data between comma delimiters-large file

Having a huge file in the following format. 2,3,1,,,4 1,2,3,,,,,5, 8,7,3,4,,,, Output needed is: 2,3,1,0.0,0.0,4 1,2,3,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,5, 8,7,3,4,0.0,0.0,0.0, I have tried reading the file each line, using AWK to parse to find out ",," and then insert 0.0 . It works but very slow. Need... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wincrazy
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing trailing space with single quote

Platform : RHEL 5.8 I want to end each line of this file with a single quote. $ cat hello.txt blueskies minnie mickey gravity snoopyAt VI editor's command mode, I have used the following command to replace the last character with a single quote. ~ ~ ~ :%s/$/'/gNow, the lines in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace Delimiters with Space

Hi All, How to Replace the delimiter for a particular field. I have used awk to replace the field values based on the position, but I tried to remove/replace delimiters with space on particular positions. I tried tr command with combination of awk not sure if this is the correct way, but I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mora
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Skip the delimiter with in double quotes and count the number of delimiters during data extract

Hi All, I'm stuck-up in finding a way to skip the delimiter which come within double quotes using awk or any other better option. can someone please help me out. Below are the details: Delimited: | Sample data: 742433154|"SYN|THESIS MED CHEM PTY.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrahmaNaiduA
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing all but the first and last double quote in a line with a single quote with awk

From: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This, is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ""test""" 4,7,3,1,8,"""" To: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This; is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ''test''" 4,7,3,1,8,"''"Is there an easy syntax I'm overlooking? There will always be an odd number... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Eval command with space, quote and bracket characters

Hi, I am Pradnya Gandhe trying to use in shell script. I want to use a bit complicated command using eval command in a shell script. <path to>\wsadmin.sh -lang jython -conntype NONE -c "AdminApp.install('war file path', '] -MapWebModToVH ] -MapRolesToUsers ] ]')" Works correctly as expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradnya Gandhe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help/Advise please for converting space delimited string variable to comma delimited with quote

Hi, I am wanting to create a script that will construct a SQL statement based on a a space delimited string that it read from a config file. Example of the SQL will be For example, it will read a string like "AAA BBB CCC" and assign to a variable named IN_STRING. I then concatenate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
dfstab(4)							   File Formats 							 dfstab(4)

NAME
dfstab - file containing commands for sharing resources across a network DESCRIPTION
dfstab resides in directory /etc/dfs and contains commands for sharing resources across a network. dfstab gives a system administrator a uniform method of controlling the automatic sharing of local resources. Each line of the dfstab file consists of a share(1M) command. The dfstab file can be read by the shell to share all resources. System administrators can also prepare their own shell scripts to execute particular lines from dfstab. The contents of dfstab put into effect when the command shown below is run. See svcadm(1M). /usr/sbin/svcadm enable network/nfs/server SEE ALSO
share(1M), shareall(1M), sharemgr(1M), svcadm(1M) NOTES
Do not modify this file directly. This file is reconstructed and only maintained for backwards compatibility. Configuration lines could be lost. Use the sharemgr(1M) command for all share management. SunOS 5.11 15 Aug 2008 dfstab(4)