Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to compare flat files and print output to another file Post 302432502 by suhaeb on Friday 25th of June 2010 06:49:08 AM
Old 06-25-2010
Thank you dazdseg, with this I can find the uniq records/matching records in both the files, is there a way I can move diffrence records/unmatched records in a new file.

Code:
cat file1 > final_file
cat file 2 >> final file 

uniq -u final_file >> result_file

Last edited by Scott; 06-25-2010 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: Code tags, PLEASE!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to compare lines of two files and print output on screen

hey guys, I have two files both with two columns, I have already created an awk code to ignore certain lines (e.g lines that start with 963) as they wou ld begin with a certain string, however, the rest I have added together and calculated the average. At the moment the code also displays... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlfc
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare columns from seven files and print the output

Hi guys, I need some help to come out with a solution . I have seven such files but I am showing only three for convenience. filea a5 20 a8 16 fileb a3 42 a7 14 filec a5 23 a3 07 The output file shoud contain the data in table form showing first field of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smriti_shridhar
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare two files and search keyword and print output

You have two files to compare by searching keyword from one file into another file File A 23 >pp_ANSWER 24 >aa hello 25 >jau head wear 66 >jss oops 872 >aqq olps ploww oww sss 722 >GG_KILLER ..... large files File B Beta done KILLER John Mayor calix meyers ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell Script to compare xml files and print output to a file

All, PLease can you help me with a shell script which can compare two xml files and print the difference to a output file. I have attached one such file for you reference. <Group> <Member ID=":Year_Quad:41501" childCount="4" fullPath="PEPSICO Year-Quad-Wk : FOLDER.52 Weeks Ending Dec... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanthrajgowda
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk compare specific columns from 2 files, print new file

Hello. I have two files. FILE1 was extracted from FILE2 and modified thanks to help from this post. Now I need to replace the extracted, modified lines into the original file (FILE2) to produce the FILE3. FILE1 1466 55.27433 14.72050 -2.52E+03 3.00E-01 1.05E+04 2.57E+04 1467 55.27433... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jm4smtddd
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and print using awk

I have 2 files: email_1.out 1 abc@yahoo.com 2 abc_1@yahoo.com 3 abc_2@yahoo.com data_1.out <tr> 1 MAIL # 1 TO src_1 </tr> <tr><td class="hcol">col_id</td> <td class="hcol">test_dt</td> <td class="hcol">user_type</td> <td class="hcol">ct</td></tr> <tr><td... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare to flat files using awk

compare to flat files using awk .but in 4th field contains non ordered substring. how to do that. file1.txt john|0.0|4|**:25;JP:50;UY:25 file2.txt andy|0.0|4|JP:50;**:25;UY:25 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeruasu
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare columns of multiple files and print those unique string from File1 in an output file.

Hi, I have multiple files that each contain one column of strings: File1: 123abc 456def 789ghi File2: 123abc 456def 891jkl File3: 234mno 123abc 456def In total I have 25 of these type of file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] awk compare two different columns of two files and print all from both file

Hi, I want to compare two columns from file1 with another two column of file2 and print matched and unmatched column like this File1 1 rs1 abc 3 rs4 xyz 1 rs3 stu File2 1 kkk rs1 AA 10 1 aaa rs2 DD 20 1 ccc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: justinjj
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare two files and print output

Hi All, i am trying to compare two files in Centos 6. F1: /tmp/d21 NAME="xvda" TYPE="disk" SIZE="40G" OWNER="root" GROUP="disk" MODE="brw-rw----" MOUNTPOINT="" NAME="xvda1" TYPE="part" SIZE="500M" OWNER="root" GROUP="disk" MODE="brw-rw----" MOUNTPOINT="/boot" NAME="xvda2" TYPE="part"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu1234
2 Replies
uniq(1) 							   User Commands							   uniq(1)

NAME
uniq - report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/uniq /usr/bin/uniq [-c | -d | -u] [-f fields] [-s char] [input_file [output_file]] /usr/bin/uniq [-c | -d | -u] [-n] [+ m] [input_file [output_file]] ksh93 uniq [-cdiu] [-D[delimit]] [-f fields] [-s chars] [-w chars] [input_file [output_file]] uniq [-cdiu] [-D[delimit]] [-n] [+m] [-w chars] [input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/uniq The uniq utility reads an input file comparing adjacent lines and writes one copy of each input line on the output. The second and succeed- ing copies of repeated adjacent input lines are not written. Repeated lines in the input are not detected if they are not adjacent. ksh93 The uniq built-in in ksh93 is associated with the /bin or /usr/bin path. It is invoked when uniq is executed without a pathname prefix and the pathname search finds a /bin/uniq or /usr/bin/uniq executable. uniq reads an input, comparing adjacent lines, and writing one copy of each input line on the output. The second and succeeding copies of the repeated adjacent lines are not written. If output_file is not specified, uniq writes to standard output. If input_file is not specified, or if input_file is -, uniq reads from standard input, and the start of the file is defined as the current offset. OPTIONS
/usr/bin/uniq The following options are supported by /usr/bin/uniq: -c Precedes each output line with a count of the number of times the line occurred in the input. -d Suppresses the writing of lines that are not repeated in the input. -f fields Ignores the first fields fields on each input line when doing comparisons, where fields is a positive decimal integer. A field is the maximal string matched by the basic regular expression: [[:blank:]]*[^[:blank:]]* If fields specifies more fields than appear on an input line, a null string is used for comparison. +m Equivalent to -s chars with chars set to m. -n Equivalent to -f fields with fields set to n. -s chars Ignores the first chars characters when doing comparisons, where chars is a positive decimal integer. If specified in conjunc- tion with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first fields fields is ignored. If chars specifies more charac- ters than remain on an input line, a null string is used for comparison. -u Suppresses the writing of lines that are repeated in the input. ksh93 The following options are supported by the uniq built-in command is ksh93: -c Outputs the number of times each line occurred along with the line. --count -d Outputs only duplicate lines. --repeated | duplicates -D Outputs all duplicate lines as a group with an empty line delimiter specified by delimit. --all-repeated[=delimit] Specify delimit as one of the following: none Do not delimit duplicate groups. prepend Prepend an empty line before each group. separate Separate each group with an empty line. The value for delimit can be omitted. The default value is none. -f Skips over fields number of fields before checking for uniqueness. A field is the minimal string matching the --skip-fields=fields BRE [[:blank:]]*[^[:blank:]]*. -i Ignore case in comparisons. --ignore-case +m Equivalent to the -s chars option, with chars set to m. -n Equivalent to the -f fields option, with fields set to n. -s Skips over chars number of characters before checking for uniqueness. --skip-chars=chars If specified with the -f option, the first chars after the first fields are ignored. If the chars specifies more characters than are on the line, an empty string is used for comparison. -u Outputs unique lines. --uniq -w Skips over any specified fields and characters, then compares chars number of characters. --check-chars=chars OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: input_file A path name of the input file. If input_file is not specified, or if the input_file is -, the standard input is used. output_file A path name of the output file. If output_file is not specified, the standard output is used. The results are unspecified if the file named by output_file is the file named by input_file. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using the uniq Command The following example lists the contents of the uniq.test file and outputs a copy of the repeated lines. example% cat uniq.test This is a test. This is a test. TEST. Computer. TEST. TEST. Software. example% uniq -d uniq.test This is a test. TEST. example% The next example outputs just those lines that are not repeated in the uniq.test file. example% uniq -u uniq.test TEST. Computer. Software. example% The last example outputs a report with each line preceded by a count of the number of times each line occurred in the file: example% uniq -c uniq.test 2 This is a test. 1 TEST. 1 Computer. 2 TEST. 1 Software. example% ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of uniq: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/uniq +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ ksh93 +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The ksh93 built-in binding to /bin and /usr/bin is Volatile. The built-in interfaces are Uncommitted. SEE ALSO
comm(1), ksh93(1), , pcat(1), sort(1), uncompress(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 13 Mar 2008 uniq(1)