Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Permissions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix Permissions Post 302432458 by Scrutinizer on Friday 25th of June 2010 04:44:20 AM
Old 06-25-2010
You probably will need to restart the database to effectuate the oracle user's membership of norkadm. Also you may want to use
Code:
chmod 2770 /opt/norkom/rbs/tpf/fstf_blobs

so that any file created in that directory has a group ownership of norkgrp (2770 means the setgid bit gets set)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to change permissions in UNIX?

I want to change a file permission which just I can list , read, and write it. So, does anybody can tell me the command? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a8111978
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix permissions

I am currently running jsp pages on unix server. At the top of my page is the import statement: <%@ page import="survey.*"%>. This imports the survey folder which i have placed in the same directory as my jsp page- jsp-servlet. However, when i try to run the page, its gives me an error saying that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moukoko
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX File Permissions

Hello, What does the following mean in terms of file permissions. -rw-rwSrw- 1 owner group 999 May 25 2004 file_name What does the "S" stand for. Thanks in advance for your input. :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Unix permissions

Is anyone aware of a tool that would produce a report or an extract file of all users, the files thry are allowed to access and their associated rights permitted (Read,Write etc.) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobershaw
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix chmod permissions

Hello all, Trying to do the following. 1. Run Windows installer from a unix server. 2. Let user run the shortcut but not allow access to the folder where the exe itself is running. What I have done so far: 1. Copied the application to the server and placed in a folder called "data".... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whiterabbit
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix permissions for a newbie

Okay, this may turn out to be something quite simple, but I haven't found the answer so far: 1) Is it possible to retrieve a list of user(ID) file permissions? and then... 2) What is the most efficient way to create an alert/error message when/if those file permissions are denied? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hades1013
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix directory permissions

Hi All I am using cygwin and if i type ls -l it is giving like drwxr-xr-x+ for directories. My question is what is the meaning of '+' sign at the end? its not giving that '+' sign for files. Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Usha Shastri
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix File Permissions

I want to change one of my Dir permissions to drwx--S--- Can you tell me which number i have to use. Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeru
4 Replies

9. Tips and Tutorials

Unix File Permissions

Introduction I have seen some misinformation regarding Unix file permissions. I will try to set the record straight. Take a look at this example of some output from ls: $ ls -ld /usr/bin /usr/bin/cat drwxrwxr-x 3 root bin 8704 Sep 23 2004 /usr/bin -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
6 Replies
PAM_GROUP(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						      PAM_GROUP(8)

NAME
pam_group - PAM module for group access SYNOPSIS
pam_group.so DESCRIPTION
The pam_group PAM module does not authenticate the user, but instead it grants group memberships (in the credential setting phase of the authentication module) to the user. Such memberships are based on the service they are applying for. By default rules for group memberships are taken from config file /etc/security/group.conf. This module's usefulness relies on the file-systems accessible to the user. The point being that once granted the membership of a group, the user may attempt to create a setgid binary with a restricted group ownership. Later, when the user is not given membership to this group, they can recover group membership with the precompiled binary. The reason that the file-systems that the user has access to are so significant, is the fact that when a system is mounted nosuid the user is unable to create or execute such a binary file. For this module to provide any level of security, all file-systems that the user has write access to should be mounted nosuid. The pam_group module functions in parallel with the /etc/group file. If the user is granted any groups based on the behavior of this module, they are granted in addition to those entries /etc/group (or equivalent). OPTIONS
This module does not recognise any options. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the auth module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SUCCESS group membership was granted. PAM_ABORT Not all relevant data could be gotten. PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_CRED_ERR Group membership was not granted. PAM_IGNORE pam_sm_authenticate was called which does nothing. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN The user is not known to the system. FILES
/etc/security/group.conf Default configuration file SEE ALSO
group.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7). AUTHORS
pam_group was written by Andrew G. Morgan <morgan@kernel.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_GROUP(8)