Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to replace characters with random characters Post 302432042 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 23rd of June 2010 04:16:25 PM
Old 06-23-2010
Code:
nawk 'BEGIN{OFS=FS="";srand()}{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++)sub(/[0-9]/,int(10*rand()),$i)}1' infile > outfile

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace Characters...

In a file, How do I replace a set number of characters in each line? For example.... substitute the first 54 characters of each line with mv? Thanks! Lisa (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lgardner17325
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to replace characters

Hi I have searched for a way to replace odd characters in a FOLDER NAME. All search-and-replace issues I have seen, only involves how to make search-and-replace on a FILE och with TEXT INSIDE a FILE. My problem is with the FOLDER NAME. My case is this: I have a couple of persons that every... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arndorff
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace characters in a file

Hi, I have a file in which i want to replace the charaters from position 3-5 with a particular string for the first line. For ex The file contains abcdefghij jkdsflsfkdk 908090900 i want to replace the characters 3-5 for the first line as 678 so, the file should look like ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace characters using tr

Hi, I have a file which includes some French Characters and I want to change them to other characters like À to &Agrave; Â to &Acirc; É to &Eacute; ..... ..... and so on. I am tyring to use tr command like tr ÀÂÉ &Agrave;&Acirc;&Eacute; < input file But it does not work. Only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveed
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding File Names Ending In 3 Random Numerical Characters

Hi, I have a series of files (upwards of 500) the filename format is as follows CC10-1234P1999.WGS84.p190 each of this files is in a directory named for the file but excluding the extension. Now the last three numeric characters, in this case 999, can be anything from 001 to 999, I need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: roche.j.mike
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters between $ and . with .

Hi - I have below in put to demo.txt /test/xyz/ibcdownload.jsp /test/xyz/pvxprogramtreeovermain.jsp /test/xyz/jtfrsrsr$HtmlTag.jsp /test/xyz/csdronumlov.jsp /test/xyz/iecvaluereset.jsp /test/xyz/ibecumpassignrole.jsp /test/xyz/ozfoffermarketmain.jsp output should be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Password generator with 2 digits and 6 characters

I am using the below to random generate a password but I need to have 2 numeric characters and 6 alphabetic chars head /dev/urandom | tr -dc A-Za-z0-9 | head -c 8 ; echo '' 6USUvqRB ------ Post updated at 04:43 PM ------ Any Help folks - Can the output be passed onto a sed command to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
rand(3UCB)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Library Functions						rand(3UCB)

NAME
rand, srand - simple random number generator SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/cc[ flag ... ] file ... int rand() int srand( seed); unsigned seed; DESCRIPTION
rand() uses a multiplicative congruential random number generator with period 2**32 to return successive pseudo-random numbers in the range from 0 to "2**31 -1." srand() can be called at any time to reset the random-number generator to a random starting point. The generator is initially seeded with a value of 1. SEE ALSO
drand48(3C), rand(3C), random(3C) NOTES
Use of these interfaces should be restricted to only applications written on BSD platforms. Use of these interfaces with any of the system libraries or in multi-thread applications is unsupported. The spectral properties of rand() leave a great deal to be desired. drand48(3C) and random(3C) provide much better, though more elaborate, random-number generators. The low bits of the numbers generated are not very random; use the middle bits. In particular the lowest bit alternates between 0 and 1. SunOS 5.10 12 Feb 1993 rand(3UCB)