Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting read the first 10 lines below a keyword found by grep Post 302431760 by alain.kazan on Wednesday 23rd of June 2010 02:18:45 AM
Old 06-23-2010
read the first 10 lines below a keyword found by grep

Hello Everyone,
i need to read specific number of lines ( always serialized ; i.e from 10 to 20 or from 34 to 44 ) in a file , where the first line is found by grep 'ing a keyword.
example

file.txt
------------------------------------------------------------------
--header
this is the message header 3x3
--body
RowId 12
TypeID 0xA
InfoA None
InfoB None
InfoC None

----------------------------------------------------------------

so i want to read the first 10 lines begining from the line where 0xA is found.

how can this be achieved?

Appreciate Any help

Alain

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

grep to give how many times each lines were found

Lets say I have a file containing string patterns to be looked for inside a file. I would normaly do : grep -if MyFilePattern FiletoSearchInto if I use the -c it gives how many total lines it found out of my whole pattern file, but what if i want grep to report how many times it found each... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep and display n lines after the match is found.

Hello, How do I use grep to find a pattern in a list of file and then display 5 lines after the pattern is matched Eg: I want to match the string GetPresentCode in all files in a folder and then see 4 lines following this match. I am not sure if grep is what should be used to achieve. Thanks!... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cv_pan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut lines before keyword

Hi, How to cut all lines in file before keyword? from 1 2333214 word ...... some text 2 234343 234234 word ...... some text 3 234324 324 3234 word ...... some text to 1 2333214 2 234343 234234 3 234324 324 3234 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trump
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple search keyword in grep

Dear All, I have a file containing info like TID:0903 asdfasldjflsdjf TID:0945 hjhjhkhkhkh TID:2045 hjhjhkhkhkh TID:1945 hjhjhkhkhkh TID:2045 hjhjhkhkhkh I need to show only lines containing TID:0903 asdfasldjflsdjf TID:0945 hjhjhkhkhkh TID:2045 hjhjhkhkhkh TID:2045 hjhjhkhkhkh ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: saifurshaon
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove keyword found in title

Hello All, I have a bunch of files that have the following format, where the title is INPUT.txt and contains the following text: INPUT-FILLER1 204 INPUT-FILLER2 FILLER6-INPUT 5 FILLER-INPUT I want to go through the directory and remove the keyword INPUT. For example, my output would be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing a text until a keyword is found

Hi, here's the problem: text="hello1 hello2 world earth mars jupiter planet"how do I print the text until it finds the keyword "mars" so that the desired output is output="hello1 hello2 world earth" I have rtfm of sed and I think the problem is, that if I find the word "mars" it will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: icantfindauser
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep multi line with keyword ?

Hi All. how to grep with same keyword. 23-07-2012 15:15:30,117 ::: Recieve Message From Commadu ::: .. ... .... 23-07-2012 16:15:28,481 ::: Recieve Message From Commadu ::: 23-07-2012 16:15:28,481 IP : 127.0.0.1 | msg =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print few lines before and after matching word is found suing grep?

Hi, here are few lines present in the logs. I want to grep on Error and print few lines before and after Error word is found line1 Line2 Line3 Error Line4 Line5 Line6 Line7 I want the output to be Line2 Line3 Error Line5 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arghadeep adity
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in using read keyword twice

Hi, I have a situation where i need to read line by line from a text pad and with each line , i need to take inputs from command line and do some process. Using below code i am not able to use 'read' keyword twice. Can any one please help cat > t.txt a d c > cat > t.ksh while read... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multi line with keyword ?

Hello Everyone, i need to grep specific keyword in a file. i want need solution to output. example file.txt 03-08-2019 21:02:20,938 ::: Recieve Data From Amazon ::: 03-08-2019 21:02:20,938 IP : 192.168.1.1 | msg = Your confirmation code for 'Verify phone number' is xxxxx | sno =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
2 Replies
nl(1)							      General Commands Manual							     nl(1)

Name
       nl - line numbering filter

Syntax
       nl [-h type] [-b type] [-f type] [-v start#] [-i incr] [-p ] [-l num] [-s sep] [-w width] [-n format] [-d delim] file

Description
       The  command reads lines from the named file or from the standard input, if no file is named, and reproduces the lines on the standard out-
       put.  Lines are numbered on the left in accordance with the command options in effect.

The command views the text it reads in terms of logical pages.  Line numbering is reset at the start of each logical page.  A logical  page
       consists  of  a header, a body, and a footer section.  Empty sections are valid.  Different line numbering options are independently avail-
       able for header, body, and footer.  For example, you can elect not to number header and footer lines while numbering  blank  lines  in  the
       body.

The start of logical page sections is signaled by input lines containing nothing but the following delimiter characters:

Line contents	Start of

::: 	header

::		body

:		footer

Unless otherwise specified, assumes that the text it is reading is in the body of a single logical page.

Options
       Command options may appear in any order and may be intermingled with an optional file name.  Only one file may be named.

-b type		   Specifies  which  logical page body lines are to be numbered.  The following are recognized types and their meaning: a,
			   number all lines; t, number lines with printable text only; n, no line numbering; pstring, number only lines that  con-
			   tain the regular expression specified in string.

The default type for logical page body is t (text lines numbered).

-h type		   Same as -b type except for header.  Default type for logical page header is n (no lines numbered).

-f type		   Same as -b type except for footer.  Default for logical page footer is n (no lines numbered).

-p		   Do not restart numbering at logical page delimiters.

-v start#	   The initial value used to number logical page lines.  Default is 1.

-i incr		   The increment value used to number logical page lines.  Default is 1.

-s sep		   The character used in separating the line number and the corresponding text line.  Default sep is a tab.

-w width 	   The number of characters used for the line number.  Default width is 6.

-n format	   The	line  numbering  format.   Recognized values are the following: ln, left justified, leading zeroes suppressed; rn,
			   right justified, leading zeroes suppressed; rz, right justified, leading zeroes kept.  Default format is rn (right jus-
			   tified).

-l num		   The	number	of  blank lines to be considered as one.  For example, -l2 results in only the second adjacent blank being
			   numbered (if the appropriate -ha, -ba, or -fa option is set).  Default is 1.

-d xx		   The delimiter characters specifying the start of a logical page section may be changed from the default characters (:)
			   to two user-specified characters.  If only one character is entered, the second character remains the default character
			   (:).  No space should appear between the -d and the delimiter characters.  To enter a  backslash,  you  must  type  two
			   backslashes (//).

Examples
       nl -v10 -i10 -d!+ file1
       This command numbers file1 starting at line number 10 with an increment of ten.	The logical page delimiters are !+.

See Also
       pr(1)

nl(1)