Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: additions
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users additions Post 302431533 by Tytalus on Tuesday 22nd of June 2010 05:34:40 AM
Old 06-22-2010
Not sure if this is exactly what you want, as in your question the nuber of trailing zeroes changes from i/p to o/p, but, something like:

Code:
> cat infile

> awk '{printf("%f\n",$1+NR)}' infile

or

> awk '{printf("%.3f\n",$1+NR)}' infile

Should get you heading in the right direction and give you something to play about with and get to your liking..

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

proposed additions to the 'books' subforum in the 'Dummies' forum

Dear admins, Over in the "UNIX for Dummies" forum there is a subforum: "I'm new to Unix. Which books should I read?" The 2 Bash guides and the Linux guide on this page: The Linux Documentation Project: Guides Have been really useful to me. Also (though the same info can be found by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbubb
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to find whether the difference between two files in only additions but not modifications

i basically have 2 files and sdiff of the files is given below sdiff file1 file 2 control_file < path INDEX < size 613 < mode 0444 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: under_cons
1 Replies

3. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Error in virtualbox while instaling guest additions

Failed to open the CD/DVD image /usr/lib/virtualbox/additions/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso. Could not get the storage format of the medium '/usr/lib/virtualbox/additions/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED). Result Code: VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005) Component: Medium Interface: IMedium... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: upvan111
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Oracle VirtualBox Guest Additions installation help

Good day I recently attempted to to install Vbox Guest additions on CentOS 7.(Running on Windows 7 ) The packages downloaded fine . However when attempting to run the installer on CentOS 7 for vboxadditions_5.1.28_117968 , I received an error message written to ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrRobot
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command line additions

Evening: For quite some time I've searched for the correct procedure(S) to get LM 18.3X "live" (usb pendrive) to recognize/accept a casper-rw partiton. Here is an example of what I'm trying to do; https://www.unix.com/usbubuntu.wordpress.com/make-it-persistent/ ...only with LM 18. If... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 69Rixter
0 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)