Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem with floating point number loops Post 302430784 by DeepakS on Friday 18th of June 2010 05:21:20 PM
Old 06-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergy1983
ok. thanks.

Do you then have an idea how to realize such a grid by a loop easily?

And thanks for your reply, sam
My Deutsch isn't all that great, so to make sure I'm clear on what you're doing here - you want to find the number of steps between between two constant values.

Isn't this essentially a division problem? For example if the abstand=2, your xmax is 6 and your ymax is 4 the output table would be:

Code:
6 4 0.75 0 0 1
6 2 0.75 0 0 1
6 0 0.75 0 0 1
4 4 0.75 0 0 1
4 2 0.75 0 0 1
4 0 0.75 0 0 1
2 4 0.75 0 0 1
2 2 0.75 0 0 1
2 0 0.75 0 0 1
0 4 0.75 0 0 1
0 2 0.75 0 0 1
0 0 0.75 0 0 1

Also, are you limited to using a shell script? The only way I know of to do floating point comparisons in bash is pretty kludgy. If you have perl available and my understanding is correct I could definitely create a script to handle this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.house
A possible work-around: convert all meter into centimeter values, e.g. by means of sed or awk Smilie
This would only push the failure point to millimeters.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with floating point numbers in awk

hi all, i have the following problem using awk in a script i want to read the values from a column with real numbers and calculate the mean.the problem is that when i use a statement such as this num = $4 i cant find a way to convert the variable from string to floating point to perform... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanagias
7 Replies

2. Programming

floating point problem

Hi all! Hi all! I am working with a problem to find the smallest floating point number that can be represented. I am going in a loop ,stating with an initial value of 1.0 and then diving it by 10 each time thru the loop. So the first time I am getting o.1 which I wanted.But from the next... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijlak
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using bc with floating point number in files

Hi, I' using bash and I would like to use "bc" to compute the ratio of of two numbers and assign the ratio to a variable. The numbers are in a file, e.g. 196.304492 615.348986 Any idea how to do it? N.B. I cannot change the file to have 196.304492 / 615.348986 as the file is produced by... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point numbers in if

# if > then > echo "1" > else > echo "2" > fi -bash: How can i compare floating point numbers inside statement? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic in floating point

is it not possible to simply di aritmetic without using bc or awk i have tried folllowing operatrions but they support only integer types plz suggest me code for floating using values stored in the variables.the ans i get is integer and if i input floating values i get error numeric constant... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit the cool
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point number problem

Hello folks I Hope everyone is fine. I am calculating number of bytes calculation from apache web log. awk '{ sum += $10 } END { print sum }' /var/httpd/log/mydomain.log 7.45557e+09 it show above number, what should i do it sow number like 7455, i mean if after decimal point above 5 it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
5 Replies

7. Programming

Floating Point

Anyone help me i cant found the error of floating point if needed, i added the code complete #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <ctype.h> typedef struct { int hh; int mm; int ss; char nom; int punt; }cancion; typedef struct... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Slasho
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Regex for floating point number

Hey again, I have a basic regex that tests if a number is a float. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyte_rhyno
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert floating point to a number

Hello Guys, I have a floating point number 1.14475E+15 I want to convert this number in to full number (Integer or Big integer). I tried couple of functions it did not work. When I use INT=${FLOAT/.*} I am getting value as 1. I don't want a truncated value #!/bin/bash #... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skatpally
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to print the smallest floating point number in a row that is not 0

Hello, I have often found bash to be difficult when it comes to floating point numbers. I have data with rows of tab delimited floating point numbers. I need to find the smallest number in each row that is not 0.0. Numbers can be negative and they do not come in any particular order for a given... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
9 Replies
PLGSPA(3plplot) 						    PLplot API							   PLGSPA(3plplot)

NAME
plgspa - Get current subpage parameters SYNOPSIS
plgspa(xmin, xmax, ymin, ymax) DESCRIPTION
Gets the size of the current subpage in millimeters measured from the bottom left hand corner of the output device page or screen. Can be used in conjunction with plsvpa(3plplot) for setting the size of a viewport in absolute coordinates (millimeters). Redacted form: plgspa(xmin, xmax, ymin, ymax) This function is used in example 23. ARGUMENTS
xmin (PLFLT *, output) Pointer to variable with position of left hand edge of subpage in millimeters. xmax (PLFLT *, output) Pointer to variable with position of right hand edge of subpage in millimeters. ymin (PLFLT *, output) Pointer to variable with position of bottom edge of subpage in millimeters. ymax (PLFLT *, output) Pointer to variable with position of top edge of subpage in millimeters. AUTHORS
Geoffrey Furnish and Maurice LeBrun wrote and maintain PLplot. This man page was automatically generated from the DocBook source of the PLplot documentation, maintained by Alan W. Irwin and Rafael Laboissiere. SEE ALSO
PLplot documentation at http://plplot.sourceforge.net/resources. August, 2012 PLGSPA(3plplot)