Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copying files automatically
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copying files automatically Post 302430777 by MrEddy on Friday 18th of June 2010 04:39:28 PM
Old 06-18-2010
just tells me -t is an illegal option so my mv doesn't seem to support -t

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I automatically find important files???

how can I automatically check if important files exist in a directory and if not, automatically put the important files where they are needed say, I want to put .bashrc and a dozen other important files like it into every user's directory, how can I do this??? how do I check every user's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatically copying files from server to local drive?

I would like automate the process of copying some logs files from a server to my local hard drive at a set time each week/day. I don't really know anything about creating and scheduling jobs. Is this something I could setup relatively easily? I would like to automatically copy all the logs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sepia
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copying of files by userB, dir & files owned by userA

I am userB and have a dir /temp1 This dir is owned by me. How do I recursively copy files from another users's dir userA? I need to preserve the original user who created files, original group information, original create date, mod date etc. I tried cp -pr /home/userA/* . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to automatically download files

I am new to shell scripting and need to write a program to copy files that are posted as links on a specific url. I want all the links copied with the same file name and the one posted on the webpage containing the url onto a specific directory. That is the first part. The second part of the script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: libertyforall
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files copying - [ Listed files alone. ] - Shell script

Hi All, I am doing this for svn patch making. I got the list of files to make the patch. I have the list in a file with path of all the files. To Do From Directory : /myproject/MainDir To Directory : /myproject/data List of files need to copy is in the file: /myproject/filesList.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files by automatically creating directories

I am in a situation where I have some hundreds of thousands of files in a directory (name of directory: big_directory). Now, working on this directory is extremely slow. I now plan to do this: Copy 1000 files in each of the directories by creating the directories automatically. All files have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Moving Files Automatically

I'm looking to find/create a script so that when a download is complete, I can run the script in order for it to automatically move a file such as... 'example.avi' into my videos folder I'm a novice when it comes to scripting, any advice/help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Andrew (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: abudis
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete log files automatically.

Here is the script I want to run to deleted log files after a certain time: touch /usr/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01/apps/RSA/logs find /usr/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01/apps/RSA/logs -atime +120 - exec rm -rf {}\; Exerytime I run it, it throws me the error: find: paths must... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lennyz04
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert a lot of files in subdirectories automatically

Hi, I have a huge structure of directories and subdirectories contsining some data. The lowest folders contain a file "image.png" which need to be converted to "folder.jpg". But how can I do that for all these files automatically? That's what I alredy have find /path -type f -name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KarlKarpfen
1 Replies
aft(1)							      General Commands Manual							    aft(1)

NAME
aft - "free form" document preparation system SYNOPSIS
aft [--verbose] [--autonumber] [--output=file | --output=-] [--type=output-type] infile .. DESCRIPTION
AFT is a nearly free format documentation system which can be typed in using any editor or wordprocessor that supports tabs or hard spaces (column-based spaces whose number doesn't shrink or grow based on formatting). By using AFT, you are no longer constrained to one wordpro- cessing file standard (such as Microsoft Word), nor do you have to enter a plethora of weird syntactical incantations of an embedded mark up language (such as LaTeX or HTML). Unlike other mark up languages, AFT is designed to parse and recognize patterns rather than formal commands. That is why there is no single escape or command sequence that tells AFT what to do. In this regard, AFT will process almost anything you throw at it. An AFT document is easily converted into such popular formats as HTML, RTF and LaTeX. Because there are few commands, learning to write a document in AFT requires little effort. This doesn't mean that AFT is not powerful. In fact, this very document was conceived and written using AFT. USAGE
Running AFT is as simple as typing: aft NAME_OF_YOUR_FILE.aft OPTIONS
--verbose Generate a lot of commentary. By default, AFT will just silently process files (unless errors occur). Using this option causes AFT to keep you informed about what it is doing. --autonumber This switch tells AFT to automatically number your sections.--output=file | --output=- This tells AFT where to send its processed output. You can supply a filename (file) or - which tells AFT to write to your standard output (your display or stdout). --type=output_type This tells AFT what type of output to do. For example HTML output is used for html and DocBook output is used for docbook. As a side effect, this will also specify the file name extension for the output file if the --output option isn't specified. infile .. One or more AFT documents to be processed. Almost Free Text 22. April 2003 aft(1)