Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copying files automatically
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copying files automatically Post 302430738 by Franklin52 on Friday 18th of June 2010 01:57:25 PM
Old 06-18-2010
You can give cpio a try:
Code:
find * | cpio -pvdmu /tmp/testcopy

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I automatically find important files???

how can I automatically check if important files exist in a directory and if not, automatically put the important files where they are needed say, I want to put .bashrc and a dozen other important files like it into every user's directory, how can I do this??? how do I check every user's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatically copying files from server to local drive?

I would like automate the process of copying some logs files from a server to my local hard drive at a set time each week/day. I don't really know anything about creating and scheduling jobs. Is this something I could setup relatively easily? I would like to automatically copy all the logs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sepia
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copying of files by userB, dir & files owned by userA

I am userB and have a dir /temp1 This dir is owned by me. How do I recursively copy files from another users's dir userA? I need to preserve the original user who created files, original group information, original create date, mod date etc. I tried cp -pr /home/userA/* . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to automatically download files

I am new to shell scripting and need to write a program to copy files that are posted as links on a specific url. I want all the links copied with the same file name and the one posted on the webpage containing the url onto a specific directory. That is the first part. The second part of the script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: libertyforall
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files copying - [ Listed files alone. ] - Shell script

Hi All, I am doing this for svn patch making. I got the list of files to make the patch. I have the list in a file with path of all the files. To Do From Directory : /myproject/MainDir To Directory : /myproject/data List of files need to copy is in the file: /myproject/filesList.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files by automatically creating directories

I am in a situation where I have some hundreds of thousands of files in a directory (name of directory: big_directory). Now, working on this directory is extremely slow. I now plan to do this: Copy 1000 files in each of the directories by creating the directories automatically. All files have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Moving Files Automatically

I'm looking to find/create a script so that when a download is complete, I can run the script in order for it to automatically move a file such as... 'example.avi' into my videos folder I'm a novice when it comes to scripting, any advice/help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Andrew (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: abudis
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete log files automatically.

Here is the script I want to run to deleted log files after a certain time: touch /usr/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01/apps/RSA/logs find /usr/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01/apps/RSA/logs -atime +120 - exec rm -rf {}\; Exerytime I run it, it throws me the error: find: paths must... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lennyz04
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert a lot of files in subdirectories automatically

Hi, I have a huge structure of directories and subdirectories contsining some data. The lowest folders contain a file "image.png" which need to be converted to "folder.jpg". But how can I do that for all these files automatically? That's what I alredy have find /path -type f -name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KarlKarpfen
1 Replies
cpio(5) 							File Formats Manual							   cpio(5)

Name
       cpio - format of cpio archive

Description
       The header structure, when the option of is not used, is:
       struct {
		  short   h_magic,
			  h_dev;
		  ushort  h_ino,
			  h_mode,
			  h_uid,
			  h_gid;
		  short   h_nlink,
			  h_rdev
			  h_mtime[2],
			  h_namesize,
			  h_filesize[2]'
		  char	  h_name[h_namesize rounded to word];
       } Hdr;
       When the option is used, the header information is described by:
       sscanf(Chdr,"%6o%6o%6o%6o%6o%6o%6o%6o%11lo%6o%11lo%s",
	     &Hdr.h_magic, &Hdr.h_dev, &Hdr.h_ino, &Hdr.h_mode,
	     &Hdr.h_uid, &Hdr.h_gid, &Hdr.h_nlink, &Hdr.h_rdev,
	     &Longtime, &Hdr.h_namesize,&Longfile,Hdr.h_name);
       The  Longtime  and  Longfile  are equivalent to Hdr.h_mtime and Hdr.h_filesize, respectively.  The contents of each file are recorded in an
       element of the array of varying length structures, archive, together with other items describing the file.  Every instance of h_magic  con-
       tains  the constant 070707 (octal).  The items h_dev through h_mtime have meanings explained in The length of the null-terminated path name
       h_name, including the null byte, is given by h_namesize.

The last record of the archive always contains the name Special files, directories, and the trailer are recorded with h_filesize  equal	to
       zero.

See Also
       cpio(1), find(1), stat(2)

cpio(5)