Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Memory Barriers for (Ubuntu) Linux (i686) Post 302430462 by Corona688 on Thursday 17th of June 2010 05:25:35 PM
Old 06-17-2010
P.S. On a two-core single-CPU system, the overhead of XCHG vs LOCK XCHG with five seperate processes:

Code:
$ ./a.out & ./a.out & ./a.out & ./a.out & ./a.out &
12225 !Lock     time = 0 M 8 S 657 ms 205 us = 0.116 Mops/s
12229 !Lock     time = 0 M 8 S 801 ms 676 us = 0.114 Mops/s
12227 !Lock     time = 0 M 8 S 896 ms 459 us = 0.112 Mops/s
12228 !Lock     time = 0 M 8 S 958 ms 739 us = 0.112 Mops/s
12226 !Lock     time = 0 M 9 S 157 ms 723 us = 0.109 Mops/s
12228 Lock      time = 0 M 8 S 610 ms 749 us = 0.116 Mops/s
12227 Lock      time = 0 M 8 S 719 ms 860 us = 0.115 Mops/s
12225 Lock      time = 0 M 9 S 49 ms 622 us = 0.111 Mops/s
12226 Lock      time = 0 M 8 S 608 ms 304 us = 0.116 Mops/s
12229 Lock      time = 0 M 9 S 48 ms 352 us = 0.111 Mops/s

The code is a million loops of this:
Code:
                        "LOOP1:                 \n"
                        "       xchg    %ebx, a \n"
                        "       loop    LOOP1   \n"

except once with LOCK XCHG, one with just XCHG. No significant difference.

---------- Post updated at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorga
I originally used it with existing thread-pools, but found I needed more control over the allocation of "tasks" to "cores"
How so?
Quote:
hence I'm making my own.
I don't see how using a different structure excludes pthreads. You wanted to avoid pthreads since it used atomic ops, and are prepared to use atomic ops instead? It's best to write portably if possible anyway.

Last edited by Corona688; 06-17-2010 at 06:42 PM..

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory-waste in Ubuntu/Debian?

I have 512 mem on this laptop, though 'top' tells me I only have 380. However, Ubuntu is using 288 mb of memory, when I only have 3 terminals, running lynx, vim(for this file) and (of course) top. Considering it I have lynx running a 600 page txt file, which of course would eat some memory but 300?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: riwa
0 Replies

2. Linux

i686, x86 64, ppc

Hi, i am quite new to linux. I am interested in fedora linux distro. Fedora Project I dont know which one to choose, either i686, x86 64 or ppc. I prefer a live cd, coz its easy to use. And what is the difference between "Fedora Desktop Live Media" and "Fedora KDE Live Media". (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superblacksmith
3 Replies

3. Programming

Getting the total virtual memory for ubuntu in c++

Hi guys , i need to get the total virtual memory in ubuntu but i need to write a C++ code for that, any idea on how to go about doing it? any references? or website that i can refer to ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiaojesus
6 Replies

4. Ubuntu

XP and Linux (Ubuntu) on same disk, Can I install Ubuntu on not-yet partitioned portion of disk?

My PC (Esprimo, 3 yeas old) has one hard drive having 2 partitions C: (80 GB NTFS, XP) and D: (120 GB NTFS, empty) and and a 200 MB area that yet is not-partitioned. I would like to try Ubuntu and to install Ubuntu on the not-partitioned area . The idea is to have the possibility to run... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.Weidemann
7 Replies
plock(2)							System Calls Manual							  plock(2)

NAME
plock() - lock process, text, data, stack, or shared library in memory SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system call allows the calling process to lock the text segment of the process (text lock), its data segment (data lock), or both its text and data segment (process lock) into memory. Stack segments are also locked when data segments are locked. Shared library text and shared library data segments (shlib lock) can also be locked. Locked segments are immune to all routine swapping. also allows these seg- ments to be unlocked. The effective user ID of the calling process must be a user with the privilege. op must be one of the following: Lock text and data segments into memory (process lock) Lock text segment into memory (text lock) Lock data segment into memory (data lock) Remove locks Lock shared library text and shared library data segments (shared library lock) Lock text, data and shared library text and shared library data segments into memory (process and shared library lock) Lock text, shared library text and shared library data segments into memory (text and shared library lock) Lock data, shared library text and shared library data segments into memory (data and shared library lock) Although and the family of functions may be used together in an application, each may affect the other in unexpected ways. This practice is not recommended. Security Restrictions Some or all of the actions associated with this system call require the privilege. Processes owned by the superuser have this privilege. Processes owned by other users may have this privilege, depending on system configuration. See privileges(5) for more information about privileged access on systems that support fine-grained privileges. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Successful completion. Failure. The requested operation is not performed. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If fails, is set to one of the following values. op is equal to and a process lock, a text lock, or a data lock already exists on the calling process. op is equal to and a text lock or process lock already exists on the calling process. op is equal to and a data lock, or process lock already exists on the calling process. op is equal to and no type of lock exists on the calling process. op is equal to and there are no unlocked shared library segments in the calling process. op is equal to and a process lock, a text lock, or a data lock already exists on the calling process. op is equal to and a text lock or process lock already exists on the calling process. op is equal to and a data lock, or process lock already exists on the calling process. op is not equal to one of the values specified in is not allowed in a window. See vfork(2). There is not enough lockable memory in the system to satisfy the locking request. The effective user ID of the calling process is not a user with the privilege. EXAMPLES
The following call to locks the calling process in memory: SEE ALSO
setprivgrp(1M), exec(2), exit(2), fork(2), getprivgrp(2), mlock(2), vfork(2), privileges(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
plock(2)