Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Why using "%" of Paging size increases & how to decrease this percentage? Post 302430147 by ross.mather on Wednesday 16th of June 2010 06:14:19 PM
Old 06-16-2010
If the paging space is increasing day on day then it's usually an error in the way one of your applications is coded. Look for processes that have multiple day run times and see if you can restart them.

If ts a self-written c program then things like malloc are often the problem. Not clearing up pointers in other languages can also be he problem. It is possible that the problem is cause by a spiralling data set but that's fairly unusual.

So first step - what apps are the the system is question running and which processes are wasting the memory.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

"sed" to check file size & echo " " to destination file

Hi, I've modified the syslogd source to include a thread that will keep track of a timer(or a timer thread). My intention is to check the file size of /var/log/messages in every one minute & if the size is more than 128KB, do a echo " " > /var/log/messages, so that the file size will be set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than "x" if directory size is greater than "y"

I wrote a script to delete files which are older than "x" days, if the size of the directory is greater than "y" #!/bin/bash du -hs $1 while read SIZE ENTRY do if ; then find $1 -mtime +$2 -exec rm -f {} \; echo "Files older than $2 days deleted" else echo "free Space available"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesCarter
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

files having Script which works behind "who" & "w" commands

Dear All, plz print the path of files which have the script of "who" & "w" commands. thnx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"Universal" sar option to check for paging issues?

Hi, Can anyone please advise a universal command option for using sar to check for paging/memory issues. For Linux, I used sar -B and check on the majflt/s column and a high number is supposed to indicate paging issues, is that correct? Unfortunately, on a Solaris server, sar -B does not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the strings beween 2 characters "/" & "/" in .txt file

Hi all. I have a .txt file that I need to sort it My file is like: 1- 88 chain0 MASTER (FF-TE) FFFF 1962510 /TCK T FD2TQHVTT1 /jtagc/jtag_instreg/updateinstr_reg_1 dff1 (TI,SO) 2- ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
10 Replies

9. Web Development

How would I mod_rewrite "/~a1Pha" and "/=a1Pha" to "/paste/a1Pha.htm"? (internally & externally)

Basically I want to shorten URLs on my html pasting site (pasteht.ml), by using "/~a1Pha" instead of "/paste/a1Pha". The ID is 5 numbers and letters, both cases. For example: /~idnum serves /paste/idnum.htm /=idnum serves /paste/idnum.htm /paste/idnum redirects to /~idnum (to update any old... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phillips1012
0 Replies

10. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
XAPM(1) 																   XAPM(1)

NAME
xapm - display Advanced Power Management (APM) BIOS information SYNOPSIS
xapm [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
xapm puts up an X window that displays the remaining battery life. The left side of the window contains a printed time or percentage; the right side of the window contains a bar indicating the percentage. Clicking on the left side of the window will toggle the display between time and percentage. OPTIONS AND RESOURCES
In addition to standard Xt options, the following options are available: -V Print the program version number and exit. -highcolor color The color of the bar when the battery percentage is above highvalue. Defaults to "green". (*highColor) -lowcolor color The color of the bar when the battery percentage is between lowvalue and highvalue. Defaults to "yellow". (*lowColor) -criticalcolor color The color of the bar when the battery percentage is below lowvalue. Defaults to "red". This color is also used to flash the alphanumeric part of the display when the power status is critical. (*criticalCOlor) -highvalue highvalue Set highvalue. The default is 50. (*highValue) -lowvalue lowvalue Set lowvalue. The default is 10. (*lowValue) -chargingcolor color The color of the printed display when charging. The default is "blue". Use -foreground to change the color used when on battery power. (*chargingColor) -delay delay Sets the number of seconds delay between each update. The default is 1. (*delay) -percent Display percentage on startup, instead of time remaining. (*percent, boolean) -percentauto Swap automatically between displaying percentage and displaying the time remaining. When on ac power, display percentage, when on battery power, display the time remaining. BUGS
There is no way to inhibit the alphanumeric display or the bar display. When the battery percentage is low, using a bright color to warn you of impending doom may be futile because the bar is too short. Because of the form widget's desire to maintain proportions, dynamic resizing of the window may not do what you want it to do. FILES
/proc/apm AUTHOR
This program was written by Rik Faith (faith@cs.unc.edu) and may be freely distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY for this program. The current maintainer is Avery Pennarun (apenwarr@worldvisions.ca). SEE ALSO
apm(1), apmd(8). January 2004 XAPM(1)