Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What's the difference between a package and a tape archive? Post 302430059 by Corona688 on Wednesday 16th of June 2010 12:29:29 PM
Old 06-16-2010
"package" is a generic term that can mean lots of different kinds of installer files, complex things that are used as jim describes.

A tarball on the other hand is quite specific: an archive created by the tar program, a standard UNIX utility. It's just a big dumb bundle of files, like a zip, but stores UNIX file attributes much better than zip does. Unlike zip it's designed to work linearly, so you can read the entire file, in order, extracting as you go; or create the entire file at once, beginning to end. Very handy for things that can't stop and move their heads in midstream, like tapes(or these days, sockets)... hence tape archive.

tar doesn't compress, so it's usually paired with gzip(tar -z) or bzip2(tar -j).

Last edited by Corona688; 06-16-2010 at 01:35 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selective restore from a cpio tape archive

Hi, I use following command to restore data from my cpio tape archive: $cpio -icvd < /dev/rct0 But this'll restore all tape contents to the current path, what if I want only selected files from the tape, suppose I want /home/compdir/home2/Rev83/data/PL/01/*.* files to be restored... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the difference between device driver and board support package?

What is the difference between device driver and board support package? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupa
0 Replies

3. Solaris

difference between flash archive and jumpstart

Hi, Can anyone explains me the difference between solaris flash archive and jumpstart installation. Both are used to install many systems frm a centralized location , correct me if am wrong,. Clear view on this is really appreciable. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find dependancies of .dstream package (Solaris) & .rpm package( linux)

Friends, Please let meknow, How we can find the dependancies of .dstream package & .rpm package before installation ? For AIX, We can use the inutoc . command to create the .toc file for the bff package, What about Solaris & Linux ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yb4779
0 Replies

5. Solaris

what is the difference between openssh and ssh package installed with Solaris box

which should i prefer to install in my system openssh or ssh package provided by SUN by default. can i have two packages installed at the same time? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't install rpm package with --prefix in new path.Error: package is not relocatable

Hello, i have downloaded an rpm package "hadoop-0.20.205.0-1.amd64.rpm" in /usr/local/ directory. I'm trying to install the rpm package in a new path/location (/usr/local/hadoop-0.20.205), but i can't. I did: 1st try: Didn't work sudo rpm -i --prefix=/usr/local/hadoop-0.20.205... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_p
1 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Problem when trying to remove a package using rpm command - error: package is not installed

Hello, i have installed a package by using the command sudo rpm -i filepackage.rpm package filepackage is already installed when i try to remove it, i get an error saying "is not installed": sudo rpm -e filepackage.rpm error: package filepackage is not installed How can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_p
4 Replies

8. Linux

Difference in binary file sizes after deploying package via yum/rpm

Hi Guys, I have an issue whereby I package up an rpm and when I deploy it, the binary filesizes differ from what I packaged up from the SOURCE directory. from source - -rwxrwxr-x 1 user group 685156 Sep 26 15:50 cybAgent.bin after install - -rwxr-xr-x 1 user group 683388 Oct 16 11:10... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gazza-o
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to archive logs and sftp to another archive server

Requirement: Under fuse application we have placeholders called containers; Every container has their logs under: <container1>/data/log/fuse.log <container1>/data/log/fuse.log.1 <container1>/data/log/fuse.log.XX <container2>/data/log/fuse.log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arjun Goswami
6 Replies
TP(1)							      General Commands Manual							     TP(1)

NAME
tp - manipulate tape archive SYNOPSIS
tp [ key ] [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tp saves and restores files on DECtape or magtape. Its actions are controlled by the key argument. The key is a string of characters con- taining at most one function letter and possibly one or more function modifiers. Other arguments to the command are file or directory names specifying which files are to be dumped, restored, or listed. In all cases, appearance of a directory name refers to the files and (recursively) subdirectories of that directory. The function portion of the key is specified by one of the following letters: r The named files are written on the tape. If files with the same names already exist, they are replaced. `Same' is determined by string comparison, so `./abc' can never be the same as `/usr/dmr/abc' even if `/usr/dmr' is the current directory. If no file argument is given, `.' is the default. u updates the tape. u is like r, but a file is replaced only if its modification date is later than the date stored on the tape; that is to say, if it has changed since it was dumped. u is the default command if none is given. d deletes the named files from the tape. At least one name argument must be given. This function is not permitted on magtapes. x extracts the named files from the tape to the file system. The owner and mode are restored. If no file argument is given, the entire contents of the tape are extracted. t lists the names of the specified files. If no file argument is given, the entire contents of the tape is listed. The following characters may be used in addition to the letter which selects the function desired. m Specifies magtape as opposed to DECtape. 0,...,7 This modifier selects the drive on which the tape is mounted. For DECtape, x is default; for magtape `0' is the default. v Normally tp does its work silently. The v (verbose) option causes it to type the name of each file it treats preceded by the function letter. With the t function, v gives more information about the tape entries than just the name. c means a fresh dump is being created; the tape directory is cleared before beginning. Usable only with r and u. This option is assumed with magtape since it is impossible to selectively overwrite magtape. i Errors reading and writing the tape are noted, but no action is taken. Normally, errors cause a return to the command level. f Use the first named file, rather than a tape, as the archive. This option is known to work only with x. w causes tp to pause before treating each file, type the indicative letter and the file name (as with v) and await the user's response. Response y means `yes', so the file is treated. Null response means `no', and the file does not take part in whatever is being done. Response x means `exit'; the tp command terminates immediately. In the x function, files previously asked about have been extracted already. With r, u, and d no change has been made to the tape. FILES
/dev/tap? /dev/mt? SEE ALSO
ar(1), tar(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Several; the non-obvious one is `Phase error', which means the file changed after it was selected for dumping but before it was dumped. BUGS
A single file with several links to it is treated like several files. Binary-coded control information makes magnetic tapes written by tp difficult to carry to other machines; tar(1) avoids the problem. deprecated TP(1)