Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find the recent file in many sub-directories? Post 302429826 by omerzzz on Tuesday 15th of June 2010 05:09:53 PM
Old 06-15-2010
lose the double quotation
worked for me in Ubuntu and red-hat.
Code:
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
root@omer-desktop:/# find -P . -name *.log
./tmp/vmware-root/appLoader-9051.log
./tmp/vmware-root/setup-9530.log
./tmp/vmware-root/appLoader-14811.log
./tmp/vmware-root/appLoader-7774.log
./tmp/vmware-root/setup-8038.log
./tmp/vmware-root/appLoader-8038.log
./tmp/vmware-root/appLoader-14819.log
./tmp/vmware-root/setup-7787.log
./tmp/vmware-root/setup-9051.log
./tmp/vmware-root/setup-8847.log
./tmp/vmware-root/setup-7774.log
./tmp/vmware-root/appLoader-7753.log
./tmp/vmware-root/setup-9933.log
./tmp/vmware-root/appLoader-7736.log
./tmp/vmware-root/appLoader-7757.log
./tmp/vmware-root/appLoader-7733.log
./tmp/vmware-root/appLoader-8041.log
./tmp/vmware-root/setup-8844.log

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

to find a file in set of directories

Hi, what is the command in unix to find a file abc.c in a directory which had n number of sub-directories. thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a file in sub-directories.. o/p just the path

Hello All, I am somehow stumped with this ting. 'Find' will sure show me.. but I want only thepath of all the occurences of the file in any of the sub-dirs.. Any help will be sincerely appreciated. thanx! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pranavagarwal
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find most recent files in dirs and tar them up?

Hey all.. This should be simple but stoopid here can't get head around it! I have many directories, say 100 each with many files inside. I need a script to traverse through the dirs, find most recent file in each dir and add it to a tar file. I can find the files with something like for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobdung
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the most recent file containing a certain string

I want to find the most recent file containing ' NORESETLOGS" I'm already here but, how to sort this now in a correct way ? By the way, my version of find does not know about 'fprint' find . -type f -exec grep -i " NORESETLOGS" {} \; -exec ls -l {} \; | grep -vi " RESETLOGS" (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: plelie2
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to find most recent file

Hi, Here is my problem: I try to write a script to find data in a file named "data" for exemple. Let's say I am in the directory /x/y/z, there are several sub-directories in the "z" directory (each sub-directory has a file "data") and I am searching for the word "help". So I use this... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: StephB
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find directories that do NOT contain a certain file extension

for x in `find /vmfs/volumes/v01tstn01a01/ -type d`; do find $x -name '*.vmx' > /dev/null || echo $x; done; The goal of this is to find the subdirectories that do NOT contain a file with the extension of .vmx Any help would be great! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hodnov
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Directories That Do Not Contain A Certain File

I'm having problems figuring out the process to find directories that DO NOT contain a certain file. I have a mp3 collection that all the album art is name "folder.jpg". Not all the albums have images. I need a way to find the albums/directories that do not contain "folder.jpg". I can find the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subsonic
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting directories resulted from Find in one file

Hi Need help for the following scenario. I am having two directories /tmp/a and /tmp/b. /tmp/a again has subdirectories /tmp/a/aa and /tmp/a/ab. I want to run a script from /tmp/b to search for a file user.lst in the folders /tmp/a/aa and /tmp/a/ab, if available, i want to make a file in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find most recent file and copy to another directory.

Very new to shell scripting. Not sure if my title is correct but I will try and explain. Directory has 100+ files with this format, " ABCD_ABC_Abc_AB0126.abc ". When a new file gets created, the 16-19 characters in the file name gets incremented by 1. Ex...todays most recent file is... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: askvip
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help script find file most recent

Hi, I need to find the most recent files by their name from an X repertoire. The problem is that the name of the files is of type: POWERL10_20151203000.xml POWERL10_20151203001.xml POWERL10_20151202000.xml FIXED VALUE_DATENNN.xml NNN = Sequential number I would need to recover the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: verita
4 Replies
uuaids(8c)																uuaids(8c)

Name
       uucompact, uumkspool, uurespool, uupoll - uucp utilities

Syntax
       uucompact -ssystem
       uumkspool system ...
       uurespool [ -t# ]
       uupoll system ...

Description
       All of the commands are located in

The  command  compacts  uucp  system spool directories and associated subdirectories. If system is ALL, then all existing uucp system spool
       directories are compacted.  Otherwise, only the specified system spool directory is compacted.  If no system is	specified,  is	compacted.
       If  is stopped before it is finished, it can be restarted without reprocessing directories.  The command continues processing where it left
       off during it's previous instantiation.

The command makes a per system spool directory and associated subdirectories for each of the specified systems.	For example, if system	is
       mk3 and if the local system name is penny, the following directories are created:
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/C.
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/X.
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/D.
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/D.penny
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/D.penny
       The  command  moves files from old spool directories to	new spool directories.	Because the structure of the spool directories has changed
       from older versions of it is necessary to respool old spooled files to new spool directories in at least two instances:

o    When installing the current version of

o    When creating a new system spool directory for each system.

In the latter case, it is necessary to move files from to the new spool directories.  To ease this task, moves files that have been spooled
       in  one	of 4 formats and respools them under the new spooling structure.  The format is specified by the -t# option, where the number sign
       (#) can be any one of the following:

o   Original spool - All files are in

o   Split spool - Contains the subdirectories

o   Modified split spool -  Contains all subdirectories listed in split spool, and

o   Used when a new system directory has been created and spool files must be moved from the DEFAULT directory to the new system directory.

The command forces a connect attempt to the named systems even if recent attempts have failed, but not if the file prohibits the call.  For
       example, the file will prohibit the call if it is the wrong time of day.  Thus, the should be monitored for messages about the connection.

Files
       Spool directory

Logfile

See Also
       mail(1), uucp(1c), uux(1c)

uuaids(8c)