Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Why using "%" of Paging size increases & how to decrease this percentage? Post 302429729 by kah00na on Tuesday 15th of June 2010 10:03:52 AM
Old 06-15-2010
On my AIX 6.1 boxes, after DLPARing more memory to the LPAR, I like to have the paging space shrunk back down so I can see if it continues to page more. Instead of taking an outage and rebooting the box to shrink the paging space, assuming there is only one paging space on the box named hd6, I do it like this:

First find how many LPs are being used by your current paging space:
Code:
host:/:$ lslv hd6 | grep PPs
LPs:                64                     PPs:            64
STALE PPs:          0                      BB POLICY:      non-relocatable
host:/:$

Make a new temporary paging space:
Code:
mkps -s 64 -n rootvg

Turn off the primary paging space. All the necessary paging space entries will be moved to the new paging space previous created:
Code:
swapoff /dev/hd6

Turn the original paging space back on:
Code:
swapon  /dev/hd6

Turn off the temporary paging space. It should have been named "paging00" by default (verify the name with "lsps -a"):
Code:
swapoff /dev/paging00

Remove the temporary paging space
Code:
rmps    paging00

Run the "lsps -a" afterward to see the new size. This usually drops my paging space back down to around 3%-ish. I'm not 100% sure this will work on an AIX 5.1 box though.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

"sed" to check file size & echo " " to destination file

Hi, I've modified the syslogd source to include a thread that will keep track of a timer(or a timer thread). My intention is to check the file size of /var/log/messages in every one minute & if the size is more than 128KB, do a echo " " > /var/log/messages, so that the file size will be set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than "x" if directory size is greater than "y"

I wrote a script to delete files which are older than "x" days, if the size of the directory is greater than "y" #!/bin/bash du -hs $1 while read SIZE ENTRY do if ; then find $1 -mtime +$2 -exec rm -f {} \; echo "Files older than $2 days deleted" else echo "free Space available"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesCarter
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

files having Script which works behind "who" & "w" commands

Dear All, plz print the path of files which have the script of "who" & "w" commands. thnx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"Universal" sar option to check for paging issues?

Hi, Can anyone please advise a universal command option for using sar to check for paging/memory issues. For Linux, I used sar -B and check on the majflt/s column and a high number is supposed to indicate paging issues, is that correct? Unfortunately, on a Solaris server, sar -B does not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the strings beween 2 characters "/" & "/" in .txt file

Hi all. I have a .txt file that I need to sort it My file is like: 1- 88 chain0 MASTER (FF-TE) FFFF 1962510 /TCK T FD2TQHVTT1 /jtagc/jtag_instreg/updateinstr_reg_1 dff1 (TI,SO) 2- ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
10 Replies

9. Web Development

How would I mod_rewrite "/~a1Pha" and "/=a1Pha" to "/paste/a1Pha.htm"? (internally & externally)

Basically I want to shorten URLs on my html pasting site (pasteht.ml), by using "/~a1Pha" instead of "/paste/a1Pha". The ID is 5 numbers and letters, both cases. For example: /~idnum serves /paste/idnum.htm /=idnum serves /paste/idnum.htm /paste/idnum redirects to /~idnum (to update any old... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phillips1012
0 Replies

10. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
dynamic_pager(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  dynamic_pager(8)

NAME
dynamic_pager -- dynamic pager external storage manager SYNOPSIS
dynamic_pager [-F filename] [-S filesize] [-H high-water-trigger] [-L low-water-trigger] [-P priority] DESCRIPTION
The dynamic_pager daemon manages a pool of external swap files which the kernel uses to support demand paging. This pool is expanded with new swap files as load on the system increases, and contracted when the swapping resources are no longer needed. The dynamic_pager daemon also provides a notification service for those applications which wish to receive notices when the external paging pool expands or contracts. OPTIONS
-F The base name of the filename to use for the external paging files. By default this is /private/var/vm/swapfile. -S The fixed filesize [in bytes] to use for the paging files. By default dynamic_pager uses variable sized paging files, using larger sized files as paging demands increase. The -S, -H and -L options disable that default and cause dynamic_pager to use a series of fixed sized external paging files. -H If there are less than high-water-trigger bytes free in the external paging files, the kernel will signal dynamic_pager to add a new external paging file. -L If there are more than low-water-trigger bytes free in the external paging files, the kernel will coalese in-use pages and signal dynamic_pager to discard an external paging file. Low-water-trigger must be greater than high-water-trigger + filesize. -P This option is currently unimplemented. FILES
/private/var/vm/swapfile* Default external paging files. SEE ALSO
macx_swapon(2), macx_swapoff(2). Mac OS X July 8, 2003 Mac OS X