Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Emptying files in a loop
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Emptying files in a loop Post 302429447 by dr.house on Monday 14th of June 2010 12:31:13 PM
Old 06-14-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSigma1978
Code:
FILES=$(ls *.log)
for f in $FILES

How about ...

Code:
for FILE in $( ls *.log )

This works in Bash. (Not sure about the sh shell you're mentioning, though ...)

Last edited by dr.house; 06-14-2010 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: remark added

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Null values after emptying a log file

Hi, I have a log file which is constantly being written to by some process. I need to clear that log file on a daily basis. The problem is that when I issue this command: echo "" > logfile.log the file gets filled with nulls thus increasing the size of the file. Is there a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasie4life
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop through files

Hi, I'm trying loop through all files in a directory that have a filename starting with 'CC', and process them one by one. Can any provide an example of how I could do this. I've started with: if test -f CC* then #add files to an array #loop through array and process the file based on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kshelluser
1 Replies

3. Linux

Emptying Trash

Hi all i hope someone can help me, in gnome if you right click on trash, you get another menu appear 'Empty Trash' what i want to do is be able to edit this command so that it secure deletes the trash, where is that command? so i can edit it. thanks in advance for any help, Dave (shred -z -u ) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave123
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For loop using 2 files

Hi all, Can anyone shed any light on the following problem? I have 2 columns in File1: 10 8 30 44 50 59 94 96 ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_sabz
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop through files in directory

hi all i have some files present in a directory i want to loop through all the files in the directory each time i loop i should change the in_file parameter in the control file and load it into a table using sql loader there is only one table where i have to load alll the files ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_tns
3 Replies

6. AIX

Impacts of emptying /var/adm/wtmp file ?

In our operating procedures, if a workstation has a space problem in the /var filesystem, one of the most frequent case we were told is the size of the /var/adm/wtmp file. Someone once told me it is dangerous to do this. Is it ? I cannot say for certain that whomever wrote that procedure is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Emptying a file (bring the size of the file down to 0 , or close to 0)

Hi I tried to empty an existing file (bring the size of the file down to 0). When I used “> myFile” or “cat </dev/null >myFile”, when I do a “ls –la”, the file size shows as 0. I then wrote 540 lines to the file, and then opened it using vi, I see something like this: "myFile" 540 lines,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qmqmqm
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed emptying file when i use for search replace operation

Hi Friends I am new to sed programming , i found that the below code can search for the $ToSearch and Replace it with $ToReplace ( $ToSearch and $ToReplace are my variables in my script ) sed "s/$ToSearch/$ToReplace/" $file > $output mv $output $file In testing the script i found that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Emptying the history

is there any other way for someone to see the history of my commands after i've nulled the .bash_history file? i'm curious. i usually do this each time i want to prevent spies: cat /dev/null > .bash_history i work in an environment where multiple people have root access. meaning, we can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through files in a directory

Hello How do I loop through files in a specific directory ? This script is not working! #! /bin/bash FILES=/usr/desktop/input/* For f in $FILES; do awk '-v A="$a" -v B="$b" {$6=($1-64)/2 ;$7=((10^($6/10))/A)^(1/B) ; print}' OFS="\t" $f > /root/Desktop/output/$f.txt; done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali.seifaddini
7 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_COMPRESS(1)