Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Tarred files not being put on tape Post 302429335 by rahmantanko on Monday 14th of June 2010 06:49:14 AM
Old 06-14-2010
Tarred files not being put on tape

Hi
I normally backup to tape using the following command in Solaris 9 on SUN Enterprise 3500 server:

Code:
tar cvf /dev/rmt/0n data

but after a power cut, the server went down without being shutdown since the UPS failed. Now when I issue the tar command I get the root (/) being full looks like it can't see the tape drive.
How can I get the tarred files being put on the tape?
Thanks

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Use code tags please, ty.

Last edited by zaxxon; 06-14-2010 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Take a file from the system and put on tape and reset the file to 0 bytes

:mad: I did this the other day but one of my support personnel removed my history so i could call it back up to remeber the exact command since i am air-headed at times. I am trying to take a 30 MEG file off the system and drop it to tape then i want to make the file go back to being 0 bytes so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JackieRyan26
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I put same message in two different log files?

echo "$(date +'%m/%d/%Y %X')" >> LOGFILE1 echo "$(date +'%m/%d/%Y %X')" >> LOGFILE2 How can I put same message in two different log file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JPalt
2 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

sftp -> put : How to uplaod only newer files

I have tried winscp, filezilla to copy data from windows xp SP2 machine to the sun sparc unix machine. However speed is around 120 to 130 kb/sec. I do have lot of files & with large size. So I switched to windows command prompt & transfered few files using sftp command. Its very fast as compared... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: _prasad
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put the difference of two files in out file

Hello, I have two files file1 & file2 containing both lines (1 word per line). I need to extract the lines that are in file1 and not present in file2 and have the result in output file. i.e : user>cat file1 line1 line2 line3 line4 line5 user>cat file2 line1 line3 line5 The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newpromo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine two files and put it in .csv file

Hi Freinds I have two .txt file gem1.txt and gem2.txt, Sample gem1.txt abstract (1.0.0) actionmailer (2.3.5, 2.2.2) actionpack (2.3.5, 2.2.2) activerecord (2.3.5, 2.2.2) activerecord-oracle_enhanced-adapter (1.1.9) activerecord-sqlserver-adapter (2.3.4) activeresource (2.3.5, 2.2.2)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankit_view24
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

massive tarred grib files totally unacceptable

Hi, I have 7 terabytes of tar files, one for every single day since 1980. Inside these tar files are GRIB files, each with 100+ variables. There's 8 GRIBs in each tar, corresponding to different times of the day. I need 6 friggin variables..., and it takes TWO WEEKS TO EXTRACT ALL THE TAR FILES... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sammysoil
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to put subject and body to mail from two files

Hi all, My sample file is something like this, ORA-00206: Message 206 not found; product=RDBMS; facility=ORA ORA-00202: Message 202 not found; product=RDBMS; facility=ORA ORA-27063: Message 27063 not found; product=RDBMS; facility=ORA ORA-00206: Message 206 not found; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sri1977
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with untarring multiple files from tarred directories and subdirectories

Hi, I want to untar all log files from following tarred directory hierarchy Log_files.tar.gz/subject*.tar.gz/project*/*.log It means there are subject1.tar.gz to subject9.tar.gz and in those tarred subect directories there are project1 - project5 directories and in those directories there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rv_trojan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatene files and put each line of files on a specific position ?

Hi, I have some files that i want to concatene and put each of lines of this files on a specific position : File1 AAAAAAA BBBBBBB CCCCCCC File2 DDDDDDD EEEEEEE FFFFFFF File3 GGGGGG HHHHHH IIIIII New file (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: apippo70
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get all the files inside a folder then put the value in a variable?

Hi here is my code for i in `ls *.cmd` do msg aaa imp -U$AAAUSER -P$AAAUSERPWD <$i>>$curdir/import_tap.out -Jutf8 done I can only get all files with .cmd extension. what i need to get are all the files inside the specific folder Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmarzan
2 Replies
TAR(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TAR(1)

NAME
tar - tape archiver SYNOPSIS
tar [ key ] [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tar saves and restores files on magtape. Its actions are controlled by the key argument. The key is a string of characters containing at most one function letter and possibly one or more function modifiers. Other arguments to the command are file or directory names specify- ing which files are to be dumped or restored. In all cases, appearance of a directory name refers to the files and (recursively) subdirec- tories of that directory. The function portion of the key is specified by one of the following letters: r The named files are written on the end of the tape. The c function implies this. x The named files are extracted from the tape. If the named file matches a directory whose contents had been written onto the tape, this directory is (recursively) extracted. The owner, modification time, and mode are restored (if possible). If no file argument is given, the entire content of the tape is extracted. Note that if multiple entries specifying the same file are on the tape, the last one overwrites all earlier. t The names of the specified files are listed each time they occur on the tape. If no file argument is given, all of the names on the tape are listed. u The named files are added to the tape if either they are not already there or have been modified since last put on the tape. c Create a new tape; writing begins on the beginning of the tape instead of after the last file. This command implies r. The following characters may be used in addition to the letter which selects the function desired. 0,...,7 This modifier selects the drive on which the tape is mounted. The default is 1. v Normally tar does its work silently. The v (verbose) option causes it to type the name of each file it treats preceded by the function letter. With the t function, v gives more information about the tape entries than just the name. w causes tar to print the action to be taken followed by file name, then wait for user confirmation. If a word beginning with `y' is given, the action is performed. Any other input means don't do it. f causes tar to use the next argument as the name of the archive instead of /dev/mt?. If the name of the file is `-', tar writes to standard output or reads from standard input, whichever is appropriate. Thus, tar can be used as the head or tail of a filter chain Tar can also be used to move hierarchies with the command cd fromdir; tar cf - . | (cd todir; tar xf -) b causes tar to use the next argument as the blocking factor for tape records. The default is 1, the maximum is 20. This option should only be used with raw magnetic tape archives (See f above). The block size is determined automatically when reading tapes (key letters `x' and `t'). l tells tar to complain if it cannot resolve all of the links to the files dumped. If this is not specified, no error messages are printed. m tells tar to not restore the modification times. The mod time will be the time of extraction. FILES
/dev/mt? /tmp/tar* DIAGNOSTICS
Complaints about bad key characters and tape read/write errors. Complaints if enough memory is not available to hold the link tables. BUGS
There is no way to ask for the n-th occurrence of a file. Tape errors are handled ungracefully. The u option can be slow. The b option should not be used with archives that are going to be updated. The current magtape driver cannot backspace raw magtape. If the archive is on a disk file the b option should not be used at all, as updating an archive stored in this manner can destroy it. The current limit on file name length is 100 characters. TAR(1)