Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl, open multiple files with wildcards Post 302429028 by japaneseguitars on Friday 11th of June 2010 04:51:13 PM
Old 06-11-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewk
What is it you want to do with the 19 files?
i have a file that contains information about genes and I need to obtain the sequences upstream and downstream these genes and do analysis on that. These 19 files are the chromosome sequences. I have sorted the gene file based on chromosome location so I can essentially use 1 chromosome file at a time since I just tried to open all of them and perl ran out of memory =/

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using wildcards in this perl command

Hi there, is it possible to use wild cards in this statement ssh $remote_server 'perl -pi -e "s,EXP_SERIAL_19b8be67=\"\",EXP_SERIAL_`hostid`=\"UNKNOWN\"," /var/myfile' This command works fine but the bit in bold (the 8 character hostid) will not always be 19b8be67 so I was hoping I could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping using multiple wildcards

Is there anyway you can grep using multiple wildcards? When I run the below line the results return fine; grep 12345 /usr/local/production/soccermatchplus/distributor/clients/*/out/fixtures.xml | awk -F/ '{print $8}' However ideally, I need it to grep for; grep 12345... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to search and extract using wildcards.

Good evening All, I have a perl script to pull out all occurrences of a files beginning with xx and ending in .p. I will then loop through all 1K files in a directory. I can grep for xx*.p files but it gives me the entire line. I wish to output to a single colum with only the hits found. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CammyD
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script on multiple files

I have a script that runs on one file (at a time). like this: $> perl myscript.pl filename > output How can I run it on >6000 files and have the output sent out into slightly modified file name $> perl myscript 6000files> output6000files.new extension Thanks in anticipation (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aritakum
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename multiple files with wildcards

Hi All I am having hundred over file in the below pattern. AA050101.INI BB090101.INI . . ZX980101.INI Need to rename these files with an extension .bak AA050101.INI.bak BB090101.INI.bak . . ZX980101.INI.bak (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
5 Replies

6. Programming

Control multiple program instances - open multiple files problem

Hello. This shouldn't be an unusual problem, but I cannot find anything about it at google or at other search machine. So, I've made an application using C++ and QtCreator. I 've made a new mime type for application's project files. My system (ubuntu 10.10), when I right click a file and I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - grep issue in filenames with wildcards

Hi I have 2 directories t1 and t2 with some files in it. I have to see whether the files present in t1 is also there in t2 or not. Currently, both the directories contain the same files as shown below: $ABC.TXT def.txt Now, when I run the below script, it tells def.txt is found,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruprasadpr
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - work with open files or write to @lists first?

I am dealing will many thousand fairy small files. I need to search them for various matches and depending on what I find, may need to search some files again for additional matches. Generally speaking, is it better to write a txt file to an @array/@list and then work with it (multiple... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OldGaf
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

open files with multiple indexes

Hi, I want to work with multiple files which all contain 2 numbers. I tried to make a nested for loop but for some reason it doesn't recognize the $j as a number. The output is cannot open file `175-T-pvalue.xls'. How do I make sure that it takes the numbers from the inner loop as $j? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linseyr
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple patterns that contain wildcards

job_count=`grep -e "The job called .* has finished | The job called .* is running" logfile.txt | wc -l` Any idea how to count those 2 patterns so i have a total count of the finished and running jobs from the log file? If i do either of the patterns its works okay but adding them together... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: finn
8 Replies
Parse::Debian::Packages(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			      Parse::Debian::Packages(3pm)

NAME
Parse::Debian::Packages - parse the data from a debian Packages.gz SYNOPSIS
use YAML; use IO::File; use Parse::Debian::Packages; my $fh = IO::File->new("Packages"); my $parser = Parse::Debian::Packages->new( $fh ); while (my %package = $parser->next) { print Dump \%package; } DESCRIPTION
This module parses the Packages files used by the debian package management tools. It presents itself as an iterator. Each call of the ->next method will return the next package found in the file. For laziness, we take a filehandle in to the constructor. Please open the file for us. METHODS
new( $filehandle ) next Iterate to the next package in the file, returns either a hash containing a package description, or false at end of file. as_hash( $filehandle ) Return all the packages from a filehandle as a hash of hashes. AUTHOR
Richard Clamp <richardc@unixbeard.net> with as_hash implementation by Thomas Klausner. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003,2005,2012 Richard Clamp. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Module::Packaged perl v5.14.2 2012-03-11 Parse::Debian::Packages(3pm)