Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting regular expression at the end of grep Post 302428951 by dr.house on Friday 11th of June 2010 09:46:22 AM
Old 06-11-2010
AFAIK ^ and $ are meant to match the beginning and end, respectively, of a whole string, not a substring.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep : regular expression

guys, my requirment goes like this: I have a file, and wish to filter out records where 1. The first letter is o or O and 2. The next 4 following letter should not be ther I do not wish to use pipe and wish to do it in one shot. The best expression I came up with is: grep ^*... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RishiPahuja
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

regarding grep regular expression

When i do ls -ld RT_BP* i am getting the following list. drwxrwx--- 2 user group 256 Oct 17 10:09 RT_BP809 drwxrwx--- 2user group 256 Oct 17 10:09 RT_BP809.O drwxrwx--- 2 user group 256 Oct 17 10:09 RT_BP810 drwxrwx--- 2user group 256 Oct... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expression - match 'b' that follows 'a' and is at the end of a string

Hi, I'm struggling with a regex that would match a 'b' that follows an 'a' and is at the end of a string of non-white characters. For example: Line 1: aba abab b abb aab bab baa I can find the right strings but I'm lacking knowledge of how to "discard" the bits that precede bs.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: machinogodzilla
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with regular expression

Hi, guys. I have one question, hope somebody can give me a hand I have a file called passwd, the contents of it arebelow: *********************** ... goldsimj:x:5008:200: goldsij2:x:5009:200: whitej:x:5010:201: brownj:x:5011:202: goldsij3:x:5012:204: greyp:x:5013:203: ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep regular expression

please can someone tell me what the following regrex means grep "^aa*$" <file> I thought this would match any word beginning with aa and ending with $, but it doesnt. Thanks in advance Calypso (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calypso
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and regular expression

Hi, I am executing a svnlook command to check to see if the following line exists. I need a regular expression to represent the line. A /test/test1/qa/test2/index.html A /test/test1/qa/test3/test.jpg A /test/test1/qa/test3/test1.jpg A /test/test1/qa/test4/test.swf I just need to extract... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kminkeller
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grep / regular expression

Hi, Input file: -13- -1er- -1xyz1- -1xz12- -2ab1- -2ab2-- -143- Code: grep '^*\-' input.txt Wrong output: -13- -1xyz1- -2ab1- -2ab2-- (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragon.1431
4 Replies

8. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep + Regular expression or

Hi , I have few lines like A20120101.ANU.ZIP A20120401.ABC.ZIP A20120105.KJK.ZIP A20120809.JUG.ZIP A20120101.MAT.ZIP B20120301.ANU.XIP I want to filter by 1. Files starting with A and Ending With Z ( ^A.*.ZIP$) 2. And either ANU, or KJK or MAT in the file name. Hope my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep regular expression

I want to track only below: I am using below, but it doesn't work: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
6 Replies
MEMMEM(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 MEMMEM(3)

NAME
memmem - locate a substring SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <string.h> void *memmem(const void *haystack, size_t haystacklen, const void *needle, size_t needlelen); DESCRIPTION
The memmem() function finds the start of the first occurrence of the substring needle of length needlelen in the memory area haystack of length haystacklen. RETURN VALUE
The memmem() function returns a pointer to the beginning of the substring, or NULL if the substring is not found. CONFORMING TO
This function is a GNU extension. BUGS
This function was broken in Linux libraries up to and including libc 5.0.9; there the needle and haystack arguments were interchanged, and a pointer to the end of the first occurrence of needle was returned. Both old and new libc's have the bug that if needle is empty, haystack-1 (instead of haystack) is returned. And glibc 2.0 makes it worse, returning a pointer to the last byte of haystack. This is fixed in glibc 2.1. SEE ALSO
strstr(3), feature_test_macros(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2008-12-05 MEMMEM(3)