Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Error with Expression
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Error with Expression Post 302428813 by sunnix on Friday 11th of June 2010 03:44:10 AM
Old 06-11-2010
Thanks, but am getting output as Sum = 20 + 10,

How to resolve this,

I have given all the below three, but in Vain,

Code:
$num_sum=`expr $1 + $2'
$num_sum="expr $1 + $2"
$num_sum='expr $1 + $2'

Thanks,

Last edited by pludi; 06-11-2010 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

error: initializer expression list treated as compound expression

I had seen this error for the first time ..... error: initializer expression list treated as compound expression please help.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunchaudhary19
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regular Expression Error in AWK

I have a file "fwcsales_filenames.txt" which has a list of file names that are supposed to be copied to another directory. In addition to that, I am trying to extract the date part and write to the log. I am getting the regular expression error when trying to strip the date part using the "ll"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhunk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

integer expression expected error

I'm a beginner so I might make beginner mistakes. I want to count the "#define" directives in every .C file I get the following errors: ./lab1.sh: line 5: ndef: command not found ./lab1.sh: line 6: #!/bin/sh for x in *. do ndef = 'grep -c \#define $x' if ; then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dark_knight
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

One more expression syntax error

HI again, still working on the assignment, which is really hard given we just started unix 4 weeks ago. This script should change the permission for the user depending if its x, w or r, to the opposite. When i try to run it, I am getting expression error. Can you spot where the problem is? I really... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: morava
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

if expression syntax error

#! /bin/csh set umr=UMR foreach i ( `ls`) set file_nm=$i set bh_nm=`echo $file_nm | cut -d"_" -f2` if($bh_nm !=$umr) then { set bh_ext=`echo $file_nm | cut -d"_" -f4` set bh_num_nm="$bh_nm $bh_ext a .txt" mv $file_nm $bh_num_nm } ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdsignature88
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error: integer expression expected

root@server01 # df -h | grep /tmp | awk {'print $3}' 252M root@server01 # root@server01 # cat /usr/local/tmpchk.sh #!/bin/sh x=`df -h | grep /tmp | awk {'print $3}'` if ; then rm -fr /tmp/somefolder/ else echo "its small" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

if: expression syntax error in gawk

I'm pretty new to shell scripting, but I am catching on quick. I did see one of the stickied threads about the csh, and I think this is relevant, but I don't understand enough to make a decision based on it. So as you'll see below, I use the |csh pipe, and if that is not correct, I'm certainly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: macman104
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting error in this expression: value of value

HI , I have a variable "TYPE" which may contain different values. and another variable $TYPE"_SOURCE" I am using ${$TYPE"_SOURCE"} to get the value TYPE_SOURCE for eg. TYPE=ABC ABC_SOURCE=/abc/xyz On using above command I am getting error : BAD SUBSTITUTION eval is not installed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aashish.sharma8
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Observing error :syntax error in expression

#!/bin/bash a1="04:29:39 - System health check failed" i=$1 echo "a $((a$i))" The script above gives the following error $113> sh tryt.sh 1 tryt.sh: line 6: 04:29:39 - System health check failed: syntax error in expression (error token is ":29:39 - System health check failed") It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
1 Replies
fmlexpr(1F)							   FMLI Commands						       fmlexpr(1F)

NAME
fmlexpr - evaluate arguments as an expression SYNOPSIS
fmlexpr arguments DESCRIPTION
The fmlexpr function evaluates its arguments as an expression. After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output. Terms of the expression must be separated by blanks. Characters special to FMLI must be escaped. Note that 30 is returned to indicate a zero value, rather than the null string. Strings containing blanks or other special characters should be quoted. Integer-valued arguments may be pre- ceded by a unary minus sign. Internally, integers are treated as 32-bit, 2s complement numbers. The operators and keywords are listed below. Characters that need to be escaped are preceded by . The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped within {} symbols. USAGE
Expressions expr | expr Returns the first expr if it is neither NULL nor 0, otherwise returns the second expr. expr & expr Returns the first expr if neither expr is NULL or 0, otherwise returns 0. expr { =, >, >=, <, <=, != } expr Returns the result of an integer comparison if both arguments are integers, otherwise returns the result of a lexical comparison. expr { +, - } expr Addition or subtraction of integer-valued arguments. expr { *, /, % } expr Multiplication, division, or remainder of the integer-valued arguments. expr : expr The matching operator : (colon) compares the first argument with the second argument which must be a regular expression. Regular expression syntax is the same as that of ed(1), except that all patterns are "anchored" (that is, begin with ^) and, therefore, ^ is not a special character, in that context. Normally, the matching operator returns the number of bytes matched (0 on failure). Alterna- tively, the (...) pattern symbols can be used to return a portion of the first argument. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Incrementing a variable Add 1 to the variable a: example% fmlexpr $a + 1 | set -l a Example 2: Setting a variable equal to a filename For $a equal to either /usr/abc/file or just file: example% fmlexpr $a : .*/(.*) | $a returns the last segment of a path name (that is, file). Watch out for / alone as an argument: fmlexpr will take it as the division opera- tor (see NOTES below). Example 3: A better representation of Example 2 example% fmlexpr //$a : .*/(.*) The addition of the // characters eliminates any ambiguity about the division operator (because it makes it impossible for the left-hand expression to be interpreted as the division operator), and simplifies the whole expression. Example 4: Counting characters in a variable Return the number of characters in $VAR: example% fmlexpr $VAR : .* EXIT STATUS
As a side effect of expression evaluation, fmlexpr returns the following exit values: 0 if the expression is neither NULL nor 0 (that is, TRUE) 1 if the expression is NULL or 0 (that is, FALSE) 2 for invalid expressions (that is, FALSE). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ed(1), expr(1), set(1F), sh(1), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
syntax error for operator/operand errors non-numeric argument if arithmetic is attempted on such a string In the case of syntax errors and non-numeric arguments, an error message will be printed at the current cursor position. Use refresh to redraw the screen. NOTES
After argument processing by FMLI, fmlexpr cannot tell the difference between an operator and an operand except by the value. If $a is an =, the command: example% fmlexpr $a = = looks like: example% fmlexpr = = = as the arguments are passed to fmlexpr (and they will all be taken as the = operator). The following works, and returns TRUE: example% fmlexpr X$a = X= SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 fmlexpr(1F)