Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ssh, bash, and /dev/stderr: no such device Post 302428733 by Corona688 on Thursday 10th of June 2010 05:33:19 PM
Old 06-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by brsett
I get the following confusing error.

bash: line 1: /dev/stderr: No such device or address

Does anyone know why and how to fix it?
It means what it says: no such file.
Code:
$ ls -l /dev/stderr
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jun  9 10:10 /dev/stderr -> fd/2
$ ls -l /dev/fd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Jun  9 10:10 /dev/fd -> /proc/self/fd
$ ls -l /proc/self/fd/2
lrwx------ 1 tyler users 64 Jun 10 15:30 /proc/self/fd/2 -> /dev/pts/0
$

It's a real file, and a symlink at that, ultimately pointing to /proc/self/fd/2. If /proc/self/fd/2 doesn't exist i.e. isn't open, naturally it can't print to it. This happens because you're feeding it a script on stdin, so it figures it doesn't have to bother giving you a full set of stdin/stdout/stderr etc. Try ssh -t, it may give you a normal stderr.

Last edited by Corona688; 06-10-2010 at 06:39 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

mount: /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s0 no such device

I've searched through unix.com and google for this issue I am having on one particular Sun E280R with installing netbackup software from CD. I know the cd is good because i installed the software on 4 other servers right before this one. This is the issue I am seeing. vold does not mount the CD... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stderr to dev/null in bash env.

Working in a bash environment, in the following example, how do I direct the error message that putting in an invalid flag (-j for example) would normally produce to dev/null? while getopts "abcd" opt do case "$opt" in i) a etc ;; r) b etc ;; f) c etc ;; v) d... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect stderr and/or stdout to /dev/null from command line

Is it possible to redirect errors at the command line when you run the script such as bash scriptname & 2>/dev/null? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knc9233
1 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

/dev/ttyS2 device or resource busy

Ciao a tutti!!! il mio problema è questo: sto cercando di inviare dei comandi AT da PC a cellulare utilizzando il bluetooth e cygwin e vorrei visualizzare le risposte nella shell bash. Per farlo apro due terminali utilizzando le seguente istruzioni: xterm & Sul primo scrivo cat /dev/ttyS2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blianna
1 Replies

5. Hardware

/dev/ttyS0: Device or resource busy

hello to everybody I have Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 installed on my Desktop and I have a PCI serial card in my computer and it has only one serial port. Actually I want to use this serial port for the serial communication and for that I executed this command : $ setserial -g /dev/ttyS and I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: piyush011
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/dev not updated on usb device removal

Hello all :-) i'm not sure if its a beginner or advanced question but i have the following problem - now for some months after building a kernel from source (2.6.36 and now 2.6.38) the /dev/sd* entries are not removed if a remove the corresponding usb disk, sd card, what ever. i'm pretty sure... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apfelkuchen
0 Replies

7. AIX

Error opening device: /dev/fscsi0

Hello, One one of my AIX boxes I'm having the following errror: fcstat fcs0: Port Speed (supported): 4 GBIT Error opening device: /dev/fscsi0 errno: 0000003d Has anyone encountered similar errors? Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixn00b
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Stdout stderr to /dev/null

Sorry for my ignorance... but... I've a script with some output redirect to /dev/null, example: fsck.ext3 -a /dev/sdb1 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null How can I simplify this redirect ? (1 & 2) thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ionral
3 Replies

9. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Can't find a device under /dev

Hi all, I am trying to see /dev/hwrng but can not find it. There are /dev/random and /dev/urandom but not the hwrng. Works the same config at other os. Any idea what might be happening ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: t35t
2 Replies
MOUNT_FDESC(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    MOUNT_FDESC(8)

NAME
mount_fdesc -- mount the file-descriptor file system SYNOPSIS
mount_fdesc [-o options] fdesc mount_point DESCRIPTION
The mount_fdesc command attaches an instance of the per-process file descriptor namespace to the global filesystem namespace. The conven- tional mount point is /dev and the filesystem should be union mounted in order to augment, rather than replace, the existing entries in /dev. This command is normally executed by mount(8) at boot time. The options are as follows: -o Options are specified with a -o flag followed by a comma separated string of options. See the mount(8) man page for possible options and their meanings. The contents of the mount point are fd, stderr, stdin, stdout and tty. fd is a directory whose contents appear as a list of numbered files which correspond to the open files of the process reading the directory. The files /dev/fd/0 through /dev/fd/# refer to file descriptors which can be accessed through the file system. If the file descriptor is open and the mode the file is being opened with is a subset of the mode of the existing descriptor, the call: fd = open("/dev/fd/0", mode); and the call: fd = fcntl(0, F_DUPFD, 0); are equivalent. The files /dev/stdin, /dev/stdout and /dev/stderr appear as symlinks to the relevant entry in the /dev/fd sub-directory. Opening them is equivalent to the following calls: fd = fcntl(STDIN_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); fd = fcntl(STDOUT_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); fd = fcntl(STDERR_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); Flags to the open(2) call other than O_RDONLY, O_WRONLY and O_RDWR are ignored. The /dev/tty entry is an indirect reference to the current process's controlling terminal. It appears as a named pipe (FIFO) but behaves in exactly the same way as the real controlling terminal device. FILES
/dev/fd/# /dev/stdin /dev/stdout /dev/stderr /dev/tty SEE ALSO
mount(2), unmount(2), tty(4), fstab(5), mount(8) CAVEATS
No ~. and .. entries appear when listing the contents of the /dev/fd directory. This makes sense in the context of this filesystem, but is inconsistent with usual filesystem conventions. However, it is still possible to refer to both ~. and .. in a pathname. This filesystem may not be NFS-exported. HISTORY
The mount_fdesc utility first appeared in 4.4BSD. 4.4BSD March 27, 1994 4.4BSD