Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ssh, bash, and /dev/stderr: no such device Post 302428733 by Corona688 on Thursday 10th of June 2010 05:33:19 PM
Old 06-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by brsett
I get the following confusing error.

bash: line 1: /dev/stderr: No such device or address

Does anyone know why and how to fix it?
It means what it says: no such file.
Code:
$ ls -l /dev/stderr
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jun  9 10:10 /dev/stderr -> fd/2
$ ls -l /dev/fd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Jun  9 10:10 /dev/fd -> /proc/self/fd
$ ls -l /proc/self/fd/2
lrwx------ 1 tyler users 64 Jun 10 15:30 /proc/self/fd/2 -> /dev/pts/0
$

It's a real file, and a symlink at that, ultimately pointing to /proc/self/fd/2. If /proc/self/fd/2 doesn't exist i.e. isn't open, naturally it can't print to it. This happens because you're feeding it a script on stdin, so it figures it doesn't have to bother giving you a full set of stdin/stdout/stderr etc. Try ssh -t, it may give you a normal stderr.

Last edited by Corona688; 06-10-2010 at 06:39 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

mount: /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s0 no such device

I've searched through unix.com and google for this issue I am having on one particular Sun E280R with installing netbackup software from CD. I know the cd is good because i installed the software on 4 other servers right before this one. This is the issue I am seeing. vold does not mount the CD... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stderr to dev/null in bash env.

Working in a bash environment, in the following example, how do I direct the error message that putting in an invalid flag (-j for example) would normally produce to dev/null? while getopts "abcd" opt do case "$opt" in i) a etc ;; r) b etc ;; f) c etc ;; v) d... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect stderr and/or stdout to /dev/null from command line

Is it possible to redirect errors at the command line when you run the script such as bash scriptname & 2>/dev/null? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knc9233
1 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

/dev/ttyS2 device or resource busy

Ciao a tutti!!! il mio problema è questo: sto cercando di inviare dei comandi AT da PC a cellulare utilizzando il bluetooth e cygwin e vorrei visualizzare le risposte nella shell bash. Per farlo apro due terminali utilizzando le seguente istruzioni: xterm & Sul primo scrivo cat /dev/ttyS2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blianna
1 Replies

5. Hardware

/dev/ttyS0: Device or resource busy

hello to everybody I have Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 installed on my Desktop and I have a PCI serial card in my computer and it has only one serial port. Actually I want to use this serial port for the serial communication and for that I executed this command : $ setserial -g /dev/ttyS and I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: piyush011
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/dev not updated on usb device removal

Hello all :-) i'm not sure if its a beginner or advanced question but i have the following problem - now for some months after building a kernel from source (2.6.36 and now 2.6.38) the /dev/sd* entries are not removed if a remove the corresponding usb disk, sd card, what ever. i'm pretty sure... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apfelkuchen
0 Replies

7. AIX

Error opening device: /dev/fscsi0

Hello, One one of my AIX boxes I'm having the following errror: fcstat fcs0: Port Speed (supported): 4 GBIT Error opening device: /dev/fscsi0 errno: 0000003d Has anyone encountered similar errors? Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixn00b
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Stdout stderr to /dev/null

Sorry for my ignorance... but... I've a script with some output redirect to /dev/null, example: fsck.ext3 -a /dev/sdb1 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null How can I simplify this redirect ? (1 & 2) thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ionral
3 Replies

9. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Can't find a device under /dev

Hi all, I am trying to see /dev/hwrng but can not find it. There are /dev/random and /dev/urandom but not the hwrng. Works the same config at other os. Any idea what might be happening ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: t35t
2 Replies
DBD::Gofer::Transport::stream(3)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  DBD::Gofer::Transport::stream(3)

NAME
DBD::Gofer::Transport::stream - DBD::Gofer transport for stdio streaming SYNOPSIS
DBI->connect('dbi:Gofer:transport=stream;url=ssh:username@host.example.com;dsn=dbi:...',...) or, enable by setting the DBI_AUTOPROXY environment variable: export DBI_AUTOPROXY='dbi:Gofer:transport=stream;url=ssh:username@host.example.com' DESCRIPTION
Without the "url=" parameter it launches a subprocess as perl -MDBI::Gofer::Transport::stream -e run_stdio_hex and feeds requests into it and reads responses from it. But that's not very useful. With a "url=ssh:username@host.example.com" parameter it uses ssh to launch the subprocess on a remote system. That's much more useful! It gives you secure remote access to DBI databases on any system you can login to. Using ssh also gives you optional compression and many other features (see the ssh manual for how to configure that and many other options via ~/.ssh/config file). The actual command invoked is something like: ssh -xq ssh:username@host.example.com bash -c $setup $run where $run is the command shown above, and $command is . .bash_profile 2>/dev/null || . .bash_login 2>/dev/null || . .profile 2>/dev/null; exec "$@" which is trying (in a limited and fairly unportable way) to setup the environment (PATH, PERL5LIB etc) as it would be if you had logged in to that system. The ""perl"" used in the command will default to the value of $^X when not using ssh. On most systems that's the full path to the perl that's currently executing. PERSISTENCE
Currently gofer stream connections persist (remain connected) after all database handles have been disconnected. This makes later connections in the same process very fast. Currently up to 5 different gofer stream connections (based on url) can persist. If more than 5 are in the cache when a new connection is made then the cache is cleared before adding the new connection. Simple but effective. TO DO
Document go_perl attribute Automatically reconnect (within reason) if there's a transport error. Decide on default for persistent connection - on or off? limits? ttl? AUTHOR
Tim Bunce, <http://www.tim.bunce.name> LICENCE AND COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007, Tim Bunce, Ireland. All rights reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See perlartistic. SEE ALSO
DBD::Gofer::Transport::Base DBD::Gofer perl v5.16.2 2010-12-21 DBD::Gofer::Transport::stream(3)