Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bash built-in
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash built-in Post 302428124 by gwgreen1 on Wednesday 9th of June 2010 01:29:02 AM
Old 06-09-2010
Error bash built-in

Is there any command or VARIABLE in unix to display only bash builtin commands?. Some days back I worked on that, but now I do not remember.
Can anyone please reply for this?...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk built in variables

Dear experts I am learning awk command through some books on Solaris 8. I have tested the folloing command awk 'BEGIN { print match ("And" , /d/)}' then the result is as following awk: syntax error near line 1 awk: illegal statement near line 1 Could you please help on this and just... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

BUILT-IN command scripts

I am new to Unix scripting. I would like to know if someone can point me to a site which lists any built-in commands in there scripted form. I thought to start with the basics and learn from example. Thanks JSP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSP
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh built-in function

Does anyone know why the following expression return an error ] while the following one not ?? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solea
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with comp built for Linux..

I built a PC I intended on using to run Linux. It was using a AMD XP 2000 processor, had a 80 gig hard drive, and 256 mb of ram. I got it all connected and working and installed OpenLinux (from book "Learn Linux in 24 hours" that came with a instillation CD). My intent was to take about a month... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tony Empire
18 Replies

5. Gentoo

Which GCC Built My Kernel?

I'm playing around with the kqemu accelerator for the QEMU virtualization software. I can't remember which version of gcc I used to build my kernel. I have 3.4.6 and 4.1.1 on this (Gentoo) system. I seem to remember there is some command I can run against binaries that will tell me what gcc (and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

built-in hex editor?

I'm using Mac OS 10.2.2 and I need to find a command line hex editor. I figure there's already one built-in, but I just don't know enough about Unix, yet. Basically, what I want to do is tell the hexeditor to open a file, replace a specific offset with a new value, then put the resulting file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loriel
7 Replies

7. Linux

distro with built in java.

i installed fedora core6, then came to know that java is not supplied with it, can u help me by naming some distros with built in java, does RHL5+ has it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zius_oram
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manually built the code below.

Hi All, I am faced with a problem. I came to know that large scale problems in MATLAB are very slow and with loops they are even slower. I have the MATLAB script below that does some large scale computation for my school project work. I've been running this code for long now but all it did... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

9. Programming

how to use built in sorting function alphasort

can any one help me with this function through an example.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahesh55
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arrays in bash using strings to bash built-in true

I have the following code and for some reason when I call the program using /home/tcdata/tatsh/trunk/hstmy/bin/bash/raytrac.bash --cmod=jcdint.cmod I get hasArgument = hasArgument = true Somehow the array element is returning even though I have not chosen the option. ... (41 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
41 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)