Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX GNU/GCC on AIX server without Root rights Post 302427821 by maxkoch on Tuesday 8th of June 2010 04:28:44 AM
Old 06-08-2010
Error GNU/GCC on AIX server without Root rights

Hello I'm new to this Forum and I've got a big Problem.
Currently I have to Install Bacula ( Backup Software) on a IBM machine(with AIX 5.3) via SSH there is no chance for me for a directly interaction with the Server.

The Main problem is, I don't have Root access and no chance to get it.
And I'm not able to restart the Server, because there is very much traffic on it.

I have to Compile/Install Bacula and here comes the next problem ...
There is only a C Compiler installed, to compile Bacula i need to Install GNU/GCC Compiler.

I found a way to Install GNU/GCC without root access.
See : Installing GCC without root permissions - FedoraForum.org

Now there is another Problem :
If try it how its described in fedoraforum I get this message from the IBM Server :

Code:
$ rpm --root=$(pwd) --nodeps --relocate /=$(pwd) -ihv gcc*rpm
failed to open /home/pribas/max/mygcc/var/opt/freeware/lib/rpm/packages.rpm: No such file or directory

I figured out that the path of packages.rpm is wrong.

My next try:
Code:
bash-3.00$ rpm --root=$(pwd) --nodeps --relocate /=$(pwd) -ihv gcc*rpm
path  is not relocateable for package gcc-c++-4.2.0-3
bash-3.00$ rpm --root=$(pwd) --nodeps /=$(pwd) -ihv gcc*rpm
error: cannot open file /=/home/pribas/max/mygcc: No such file or directory
gcc-c++                     unpacking of archive failed on file /opt/freeware/bin/g++: cpio: open failed - Permission denied

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there would be anyone who could help my this would be awesome.
THANKS ! Smilie

Last edited by pludi; 06-08-2010 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

gcc with AIX 4.3

hi, i need to install a source code from an open source on AIX 4.3. but first i need to install gcc. is gcc going to screw up AIX 4.3? the box is doing heavy legacy stuff with engine and db2 on it. and over 200 users. any comment would be appreciated. thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
9 Replies

2. AIX

Gcc for AIX

Hi, I am working with AIX5.3 and I downloaded the gcc-4.2.4.tar.bz2 from the site and when I am trying to un-tar it.It is throwing error-- Please help me to resolve it. Thanks in Advance.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
6 Replies

3. AIX

Upgrading AIX 5.2 to AIX 6.1 - GCC compatibility

Hi All, We are in the processing of upgrading our AIX server OS from 5.2.0.0 to 6.1. And we have a set of highly critical running C applications in AIX box. I have a question like whether this upgradation of OS will affect any C code compilation and C runtime enviornment... how does AIX 6.1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikc
1 Replies

4. AIX

Transferring files from one AIX server to another AIX server in binary mode

Hi, I am a newbie to AIX. We have 2 AIX5.3 servers in our environment, I need to transfer some files in Binary mode from one server to another and some files in ASCII mode from one server to another server. Could you please help me as to how I need to do that? Thanks, Rakesh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshc.apps
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Similar rights to root account

hi guys I am using a monitoring application for some linux, but in order to monitor these linux the application needs the root account.... my problem is the company I work for for security policies root account is not allowed... so how can create a similar account like root to grant access to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
1 Replies

6. AIX

gnu make fir AIX 5.3 and gcc 3.3.2

Hi all i had installed gcc version 3.3.2 on my AIX 5.3 machine. which make utility i have to instal so it will fit the gcc version tnx skfn (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skfn1203
2 Replies

7. AIX

Finding Root cause of AIX server reboot itself

Hi, please explain that how to find the rootcause of aix servers reboot itself. Which log or commands should be used to analyse the reboot incident? Please explain in detail. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberkingjk
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to check local accounts have root and user access rights ?

Hi, I have three servers,For 3 servers how i can take output,all the local accounts and details of whether the access is Root or User access. cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranjithm
1 Replies

9. AIX

AIX Virtualization Rights

Hi people, I just registered on this forum and this is my first message. I'm trying to understand the AIX Virtualization Rights (or whatever name it's called). If I have a S814 quad-core server with licensed AIX Enterprise Edition for four cores and also licensed PowerVM Enterprise... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: raphaelmsx
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX 7.1 gcc 4.8.5 issue

hey guys , after migrate our AIX server from 6.1 to 7.1 , we insalled c compilator with rpm files Server:root:/ > rpm -qa | grep gcc libgcc-4.8.5-1 gcc-cpp-4.8.5-1 gcc-4.8.5-1 gcc-c++-4.8.5-1 but whene we proceed to compile a c programm we have this error exec(): 0509-036... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahia
17 Replies
rpm2cpio(1)                                                        User Commands                                                       rpm2cpio(1)

NAME
rpm2cpio - convert Red Hat Package (RPM) to cpio archive SYNOPSIS
rpm2cpio [file.rpm] DESCRIPTION
The rpm2cpio utility converts the .rpm file specified as its sole argument to a cpio archive on standard output. (See NOTES.) If no argu- ment is given, an rpm stream is read from standard input. In both cases, rpm2cpio will fail and print a usage message if the standard out- put is a terminal. Therefore, the output is usually redirected to a file or piped through the cpio(1) utility. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Converting an rpm file example% rpm2cpio Device3Dfx-1.1-2.src.rpm | cpio -itv CPIO archive found! -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2635 Sep 13 16:39 1998, 3dfx.gif -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11339 Sep 27 16:03 1998, Dev3Dfx.tar.gz -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1387 Sep 27 16:04 1998, Device3Dfx-1.1-2.spec 31 blocks Example 2: Converting from standard input example% rpm2cpio < Device3Dfx-1.1-2.src.rpm | cpio -itv CPIO archive found! -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2635 Sep 13 16:39 1998, 3dfx.gif -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11339 Sep 27 16:03 1998, Dev3Dfx.tar.gz -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1387 Sep 27 16:04 1998, Device3Dfx-1.1-2.spec 31 blocks ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrpm | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cpio(1), attributes(5) NOTES
rpm2cpio handles versions 3 and 4 RPMs. SunOS 5.10 20 Aug 2001 rpm2cpio(1)