Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: gzip to read logs
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers gzip to read logs Post 302427365 by drl on Friday 4th of June 2010 09:06:02 PM
Old 06-04-2010
Hi.

The command ls provides a list of files. So:
Code:
gzip -cd $( ls -1 *.gz  | tail -100 ) ...

would first filter for gz files, placing them in a single column ("1" is one, not "L"), then the final 100 would be provided to gzip as a source of input file names for it.

Try it with 3 instead of 100 to test it ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GZIP help, please!

Gurus, My own stupidity (or ignorance...or both) put me in the situation I am in and I need help please: 1-My shell account (OS: HP UX v11) contains several work directories (/docs, /scripts...) 2-Our sysadmin has implemented aggressive disk quotas so I have to compress the files I put here... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep yesterday logs from weblogic logs

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would go search and get the info from the logs based on yesterday timestamp and write yesterday logs in new file. The log file format is as follows: """"""""""""""""""""""""""... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish.parker
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help using read in menu script to cat out lines in logs

What is wrong with my menu script? Do I need to continue with the read statements? All I want to do with option 4 is to cat some /var/log/files and awk out a few lines? How do I do that please? $ cat menu.sh ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: taekwondo
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to constantly read the last 500 new logs in a log file

Hello, I would like to write a bash script that would monitor a log file for a certain number of logs, let's say 500 logs and when it reaches that number to write the last log to another file. For example, I want to watch the /var/adm/messages and everytime, there is 500 new logs that are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with GZIP

Hi Gurus, I have a requirement to zip a file using gzip and ftp it to target server. I am using a gzip script as below. gzip.sh #!/bin/ksh /usr/bin/gzip -9 $1 Filename for gzip.sh is passed by an application program. so the output for ./gzip.sh Test_YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.txt (file name is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PRVARMA
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzip

how to zip all log file in a folder expect the latest gzip * ---> will zip all log files but I don't want the latest file to be zipped ex: file1, file2, file3, file4, file5 any single command to gzip all files excpet file5 ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmann
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting logs using gunzip awk and gzip

Hi All I am trying to use a hard coded script into shell scripting but I am unable to . Kindly find the Script below along with the command Please help gunzip -c FilePath/FileName_*.gz | awk '$0 > "" && $0 < ""'|\ gzip >> FilePath/Outputfile.log.gz I Am trying to use this... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pulkitbahl
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read last 30mins logs

Hi All, I want to read the log file for last 30mins logs with time stamps. Am using below command but, it is not working for me awk -F - -vDT="$(date --date="30 minutes ago" "+%b %_d %H:%M:%S")" ' DT < $1' log.file >tmp.txt log file time format is 2016-09-27 14:00:25,192 Use code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prashanth.K
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies
GZFORCE(1)						      General Commands Manual							GZFORCE(1)

NAME
gzforce - force a '.gz' extension on all gzip files SYNOPSIS
gzforce [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
gzforce forces a .gz extension on all gzip files so that gzip will not compress them twice. This can be useful for files with names trun- cated after a file transfer. On systems with a 14 char limitation on file names, the original name is truncated to make room for the .gz suffix. For example, 12345678901234 is renamed to 12345678901.gz. A file name such as foo.tgz is left intact. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), gznew(1), gzmore(1), gzgrep(1), gzdiff(1), gzexe(1) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgzip | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gzip is available in the SUNWgzipS package. GZFORCE(1)