Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: b8 development goes on
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements b8 development goes on Post 302427250 by Neo on Friday 4th of June 2010 10:27:14 AM
Old 06-04-2010
b8 development goes on

b8 development goes on

The next b8 release (0.5) will be a major one with major changes. Oliver Lillie sent me a basic PHP 5 port of b8, I used his code as the base for b8 0.5. Almost all parts have been completely rewritten, only the math remains untouched.

The most significant changes are:
  • No PHP 4 compatibility anymore. Much cleaner code base with less hacks.
  • Completely reworked storage model. The SQL performance increased dramatically, the Berkeley DB performance remains as fast as it always has been.
  • Better lexer which can also handle non-latin1 texts in a nice way, so that e. g. Cyrillic or Chinese texts can be classified more performant. This lexer has also been back-ported to the 0.4.x branch of b8. It will work better than b8 0.4.4's lexer, but be aware that PHP 4 won't handle Unicode correctly.
  • No config files anymore, multiple instances of b8 can be now created in the same script with different configuration, databases and no problems.
  • No spooky administration interface anymore that needs an SQL database, even if Berkeley DB is used (anybody who actually used this?! I never did ;-).
  • No "install" scripts and routines and a less end-user compatible
    documentation. Anybody integrating b8 in his homepage won't be an end-user, will he?
This User Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

portal development

i am trying to develop a portal kind of thing where all the scripts will reside in unix.in our company we areusing Solaris.My requirement is to develop a portal which can be accessed from any where inside the oragnisation.If some one types a address 3.256.63.56/xxx.html the page should open.There... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Development of Unix

I was thinking about pros and cons of unix and about comparison Unix shell (bash) and unix commands with Windows PowerShell and its commands. I just would like to hear what do you mean about: 1. Aren't options of unix commands too much confusing? Why are not standardized in a way that it's... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
14 Replies

3. Programming

Development for USB

Hi, I am working with Sun Solaris 9(Generic_112233-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100)and I need to develop the USB part in our application using C/C++.In our application,we are monitoring the UPS by Serial port and now I have to develop the USB part to mointor the UPS. So I need your help to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

JASS Development

with regard to JASS, some time ago (1.5 years) I took it's 4.2 version and dig it quite much and created customized and more tight (although still 100% usefull) version of the framework to be used in company i worked for (I think they never used it after I left, however). I also found that some... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: togr
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving to development

Hey someone tell me how to participate in the development of bsd unix....... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasad1990
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Development Environment Help

Hello all, First time here and with linux/*nix like OS's. What I'm trying to do is have a development environment in unix with GCC, GDB, and some editor like Vim/emacs/nano/etc.... I have Openbsd loaded on a virtual machine in VMware workstation. Boots fine and all seems good. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuck
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Which OS is better for software development ?

Big noob in everything, so I want know from more experienced users and programmers what they think which OS is better for system development? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
3 Replies
MAKEDEV(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							MAKEDEV(3)

NAME
makedev, major, minor - manage a device number SYNOPSIS
#define _BSD_SOURCE #include <sys/types.h> dev_t makedev(int maj, int min); int major(dev_t dev); int minor(dev_t dev); DESCRIPTION
A device ID consists of two parts: a major ID, identifying the class of the device, and a minor ID, identifying a specific instance of a device in that class. A device ID is represented using the type dev_t. Given major and minor device IDs, makedev() combines these to produce a device ID, returned as the function result. This device ID can be given to mknod(2), for example. The major() and minor() functions perform the converse task: given a device ID, they return, respectively, the major and minor components. These macros can be useful to, for example, decompose the device IDs in the structure returned by stat(2). CONFORMING TO
The makedev() major() and minor() functions are not specified in POSIX.1, but are present on many other systems. NOTES
These interfaces are defined as macros. Since glibc 2.3.3, they have been aliases for three GNU-specific functions: gnu_dev_makedev(3), gnu_dev_major(3), and gnu_dev_minor(3). The latter names are exported, but the traditional names are more portable. SEE ALSO
mknod(2), stat(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-12-01 MAKEDEV(3)