Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To extract date and time separately from the file name Post 302427202 by IND123 on Friday 4th of June 2010 07:24:26 AM
Old 06-04-2010
To extract date and time separately from the file name

Hi.,

My current script extracts only if the date and time are in 3rd and 4th pos.

Code:

#!/bin/bash
echo "Enter the file name to extract the timestamp"
read fname
IFILE=$fname
F=$IFILE
IFS="_."  
f=($F)    
echo "Date ${f[2]} Time ${f[3]}"

How to generalize the script to extract the fields regardless of its position.

Currently for my i/p file of format: ot_abc_20100406_041025.txt, it is working properly. And also my timestamp will be last 2 fields before the file extension starts.

So regardless of i/p file I want the script to extract the last to fields. Request you to suggest the solution.

Thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to print the date and time separately???

HI, I have a script where the date and time has to e printed separately as below date = "Wed Jan 16 2008" time = "14:17:57 IST" using date command gives me tho out put Wed Jan 16 14:17:57 IST 2008 i need only Wed Jan 16 2008 and 14:17:57 IST both stored in two different variables.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing a log file based on date/time input and the date/time on the log file

Hi, I'm trying to accomplish the following and would like some suggestions or possible bash script examples that may work I have a directory that has a list of log files that's periodically dumped from a script that is crontab that are rotated 4 generations. There will be a time stamp that is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: primp
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract date with time from file

Hi, I have a file where there is a date and time field, the format for it is yyyy-mm-dd hours:mins:sec the position of date field may vary anywhere in the line and it might be different and it is specified along with the variable AppTimeStamp how do i extract date and time both from the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash_b
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To extract data of a perticular interval (date-time wise)

I want a shell script which extract data from a log file which contains date and time-wise data and i need the data for a perticular interval of time...what can i do??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishek27
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract info from log file and compute using time date stamp

Looking for a shell script or a simple perl script . I am new to scripting and not very good at it . I have 2 directories . One of them holds a text file with list of files in it and the second one is a daily log which shows the file completion time. I need to co-relate both and make a report. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: breez_drew
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Breaking a fasta formatted file into multiple files containing each gene separately

Hey, I've been trying to break a massive fasta formatted file into files containing each gene separately. Could anyone help me? I've tried to use the following code but i've recieved errors every time: for i in *.rtf.out do awk '/^>/{f=++d".fasta"} {print > $i.out}' $i done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ann Mc Cartney
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract latest file by looking at date time stamp from a directory?

hi, i have a Archive directory in which files are archived or stored with date and time stamp to prevent over writing. example: there are 5 files s1.txt s2.txt s3.txt s4.txt s5.txt while moving these files to archive directory, date and time stamp is added. of format `date... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract date / time

How do i display in the below format without the brackets using shell script. Tue Oct 1 13:32:40 2013 Please use CODE tags not only for all code segments, input samples, and output samples. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghosh_tanmoy
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to extract date and time from filename?

Hi, I'm totally new in sell script and working with a shell code. I want to extract the date and time from the filenames. The filenames are different but all of them begins with WI_ SCOPE_: WI_SCOPE_DATA_CHANGE_2017-09-12_15-30-40.txt WI_SCOPE_BACK_COMPLETE_QUEUE_2017-09-12_15-31-40.txt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Home
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract date and time part from filename

Hi, I am facing one scenario in which I need to extract exact position of date and time from the name of the files. For example, Below is the record in which I need to extract position of YYYYMMDD,HHMISS and YYMMDD. Date and time variables can come more than once. I need to use these position... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
13 Replies
DM_DATE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						DM_DATE(1)

NAME
dm_date - print out the system date and time SYNOPSIS
This performs the same operation as the unix 'date' command, but using the Date::Manip module. dm_date [OPTION]... [+FORMAT] DESCRIPTION
This displays information about the current system time, or some other time. Options are: -h, --help Print online help. -d STRING, --date=STRING Display time described by STRING. STRING can be any string which can be parsed by Date::Manip. Please refer to the Date::Manip::Date documentation for details. -f DATEFILE, --file=DATEFILE This reads each line in DATEFILE, and extracts a date from it and prints out the information. Blank lines and lines starting with a pound (#) are ignored. Lines not containing a valid date are also ignored. -r FILE, --reference=FILE Displays the last modification time of FILE. -R, --rfc-2822 Displayc the date and time in RFC 2822 format. Example: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 12:34:56 -0600 -u, --utc, --universal Converts the date to UT (GMT) and prints out the information. Only one of -d, -f, or -r should be included. If more than one is included, the first one from the list (-d, -f, -r) is used and any other is ignored. The format string starts with a plus (+) and contains any of the format directives described in Date::Manip::Date. KNOWN BUGS
None known. BUGS AND QUESTIONS
Please refer to the Date::Manip::Problems documentation for information on submitting bug reports or questions to the author. SEE ALSO
Date::Manip::Date LICENSE
This script is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. AUTHOR
Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org) perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 DM_DATE(1)