Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to enter commands to the command prompt in a program Post 302427049 by verdepollo on Thursday 3rd of June 2010 04:09:32 PM
Old 06-03-2010
Like this??? Smilie

Code:
#!/bin/sh
read -p 'Location? :'
dmkeypar $REPLY

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Capturing command prompt from a C/C++ program

Hello, I would like to capture the password request of a process (like passwd or smbpasswd, ...) from a C/c++ program. My idea was to use pipes, but they capture only the stdout/stdin, not the request itself (e.g. "Enter password for user tom:" is not captured by pipes). In other words, my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mousec
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to enter if-then condition on command prompt/line ?

Hi I have some trouble entering if-then condition in a single line on a command prompt in csh. Could someone show how does one do that ? eg: source .cshrc; cd $dir; pwd; test -d $backup_dir; if then mkdir -p ${backup_dir}; echo inside loop; fi; echo outside loop; mv -f... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpc8250
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

enter password at prompt during a script?

I'm using rsync with the "-e ssh" option so of course it asks for a password using a prompt. Is there a way to tell a script to expect a prompt, wait for it, and give a password when it arrives? There is a way to give rsync a password as part of its options using a file, but it only works with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidstvz
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Console - root command prompt displayed twice after hitting enter

Dear All, I hope you can help me. I have a pair of E2900's I've inherited. Both running Solaris 9. Both have LOM> consoles. The problem I'm experiencing only occurs when connected to the /dev/console tty. Whenever I hit 'Enter' for a new line, I receive two new lines: - myhost# ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aleith
11 Replies

5. AIX

"/" doesn't work on command prompt for searching commands last typed

When I use "/" to look for a particular command that I typed in the current session it says D02:-/home/user1/temp> /job ksh: /job: not found. D02:-/home/user1/temp> previously it used to fetch all the commands which had job in it.. for example subjob, endjob, joblist etc... may I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetzap
7 Replies

6. Programming

How do i get Java commands to be recognized in command prompt?

I would like to do some of my Java programming homework at home, and when i type things such as "javac" & "java" it does not recognize it. How do i set it up so it recognizes Java coding? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

7. Programming

How do i get Java commands to be recognized in command prompt?

I would like to do some of my Java programming homework at home, and when i type things such as "javac" & "java" it does not recognize it. How do i set it up so it recognizes Java coding? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to prompt the user to enter an array in tcsh

Hello, I am writing a script that requires the user to enter a string of numbers: ex: 134 345 865 903 This command only allows for one variable to be entered: set "var" = $< and than once I got the array I want to change it to a list with each input on a different line: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smarones
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to prompt user to enter data

Hi All I have a script that moves files from one dir to another dir based on date, but I would like to change it in a way that whoever is going to run to enter the dates in which files will be removed. This is my script: #!/bin/sh touch -mt 201302250000 /tmp/ref3 touch -mt 201302282359... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Auto enter for prompt messages

Hello everybody, I am coding a script, that allow the user to enter some information using prompt messages, i.e: sEpisode=1 read -e -i "$sEpisode" -p "Start download from episode: " downloadFrom sEpisode="${downloadFrom:-$sEpisode}" This code allows the user to set the download from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abu Rayane
4 Replies
PAM_GET_USER(3) 					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					   PAM_GET_USER(3)

NAME
pam_get_user -- retrieve user name LIBRARY
Pluggable Authentication Module Library (libpam, -lpam) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <security/pam_appl.h> int pam_get_user(pam_handle_t *pamh, const char **user, const char *prompt); DESCRIPTION
The pam_get_user function returns the name of the target user, as specified to pam_start(3). If no user was specified, nor set using pam_set_item(3), pam_get_user will prompt for a user name. Either way, a pointer to the user name is stored in the location pointed to by the user argument. The prompt argument specifies a prompt to use if no user name is cached. If it is NULL, the PAM_USER_PROMPT will be used. If that item is also NULL, a hardcoded default prompt will be used. RETURN VALUES
The pam_get_user function returns one of the following values: [PAM_BUF_ERR] Memory buffer error. [PAM_CONV_ERR] Conversation failure. [PAM_SYSTEM_ERR] System error. SEE ALSO
pam(3), pam_get_authtok(3), pam_get_item(3), pam_set_item(3), pam_start(3), pam_strerror(3) STANDARDS
X/Open Single Sign-On Service (XSSO) - Pluggable Authentication Modules, June 1997. AUTHORS
The pam_get_user function and this manual page were developed for the FreeBSD Project by ThinkSec AS and Network Associates Laboratories, the Security Research Division of Network Associates, Inc. under DARPA/SPAWAR contract N66001-01-C-8035 (``CBOSS''), as part of the DARPA CHATS research program. BSD
December 21, 2007 BSD