Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AIX ksh: how to pass variable to host shell Post 302427037 by Eben Yong on Thursday 3rd of June 2010 03:19:51 PM
Old 06-03-2010
AIX ksh: how to pass variable to host shell

I have a script that "runs" a script. For example:

Code:
./runscript.ksh pcnmc01.ksh

runscript puts pcnmc01.ksh into the background with log output going to the logfile.

After executing the command, I get this output:

Code:
Running script in the background: pcnmc01.ksh
Logfile: /home/hs/hstst/logs/pcnmc01.ksh.20100603.115708.txt

In order for me to look at the logfile, I copy the text, then type

Code:
cat /home/hs/hstst/logs/pcnmc01.ksh.20100603.115708.txt

where the logfile is pasted into the terminal. How can I capture this logfile value into the shell session that I am currently in? For example, if there's a way for me to capture this output, and store it in my current shell as variable $logfile, then I can set up an alias to type

Code:
cat $logfile

saving me a lot of mousing and typing. This is my first post, and I am an AIX beginner. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by Scott; 06-03-2010 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Removed formatting, added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Pass variable to shell Script

Hi , i am beginner to Unix, I have one small script which execute java programme,it has java command input output structure . Right now i have given Input output structure manually that is on same directory, now how can i pass that by commandline #!/bin/sh java Classjava input.txt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam70
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass variable to SQLPLUS in a ksh script?

Hi, I am writing a ksh script which will use sqlplus to run a sql and pass 2 variables as the SQL request. In the ksh script, I have 2 variables which are $min_snap and $max_snap holding 2 different numbers. Inside the same script, I am using SQLPLUS to run an Oracle SQL script,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rwunwla
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh variable pass to awk

I'm trying to store the response from a nawk command inside of a ksh script. The command is: text=$(nawk -F: '$1 ~ /${imgArray}/ {print $2}' ${etcDir}/captions.txt) From what I can tell, the imgArray variable is not being expanding when it is inside the single quote ('). Is there something I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meman1188
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass a variable from shell to awk

I know this topic has been dealt with previously, but the solutions I've seen don't work for me apparently. I need to pass a variable defined in the shell to one in awk: $ echo $var1 3 $ cat aaa aaa 1 bbb 2 ccc 3 ddd 4 eee 5I've tried this, without success: $ awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metaltree
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a variable from one host to another host

Hi , I have to pass a string through a variable from one host to another. Is that any any way to do it . Please help me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukuku
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass shell variable to gnuplot

Hi I am plotting a series of CDFs using gnuplot using plot "data" u 1:(1./x.) smooth cumulative I am doing this over many files and I need to tune the x value to the number of lines that meets a particular condition. Is it possible to get the line count from shell using cat file | grep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pass shell Variable to awk

Hello, May i please know how do i pass the shell variable to awk expression in the below script. It is returning null #!/bin/bash UNINUM=720922 UNINUM_DESC=`awk -F'|' -v UNINUM=$2 '/UNINUM/ {print $4}' datafile` echo $UNINUM_DESC datafile 4|First|720194|asdasdad 4|First|720735|asdasdsa... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script trying to pass a variable to edit a file

I'm trying to create a ksh script that will ask the user for the port number. $PORT1 is the variable I want to use that will contain whatever numbers the user inputs. The script would edit ports.txt file, search and delete "./serv 110.1.0.1.$PORT1 200;=3" . So if the user types 50243 then the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Pass value from sqlplus to shell on AIX

hello friend good morning I have a problem, how can I take the value that the PROCEDURE returns to me in the variable "CodError", when the connection to the bbdd is closed I lose the value and I need it in the shell #AIX cat <<EOF | sqlplus -s ${ORA_LOGIN}/${ORA_PASSWORD} > $logftmp set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass and read an array in ksh shell script function.?

I'm able to read & print an array in varaible called "filelist" I need to pass this array variable to a function called verify() and then read and loop through the passed array inside the function. Unfortunately it does not print the entire array from inside the funstion's loop. #/bin/ksh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)