Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to compare two String Time Post 302426304 by pseudocoder on Tuesday 1st of June 2010 11:50:31 AM
Old 06-01-2010
Check this and try to adapt it for your needs, hope the logic is clear and right.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

RUN_TIME=$(date +'%H:%M:%S')

echo $RUN_TIME

H=$(echo $RUN_TIME | cut -c1-2)
M=$(echo $RUN_TIME | cut -c4-5)
S=$(echo $RUN_TIME | cut -c7-8)

echo $H
echo $M
echo $S

SEC_FROM_H=$(($H*60*60))
echo $SEC_FROM_H

SEC_FROM_M=$(($M*60))
echo $SEC_FROM_M

TOTAL_SEC=$(($SEC_FROM_H+$SEC_FROM_M+$S))
echo $TOTAL_SEC

This User Gave Thanks to pseudocoder For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file time

i need to write script where I need to keep monitoring a files timestamp, if it changes, I need to run another abc.sh script. I am thinking I can save file's current timestamp in another file or enviornment variable and after 10 min compare the files timestamp with the original timestamp. If... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pdr302
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get 4 Hrs back time and compare with successive time

Hi all, I am working on a script in which i need to get 4 hrs back time from the current time which i got from this perl function : `perl -e 'print localtime(time() - 14400) . "\n"'` now i need to get this in a loop and increment that time by 15 minutes i.e i=900(=15minutes) `perl... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maanik85
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we compare time ...

Hi ... Is there a possibility that timings from two files be compared?? If i have a set of files in a folder and i want to get the files only upto a particular time. eg: If i have the files staff 2388 Oct 3 04:33 x.ksh staff 3628 Oct 3 06:57 1.ksh staff 32383... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sparks
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Last Modified Time across Time Zone

Hi, I'm new to shell script programming, I only have Java programming background. I'm writing a shell script to do file synchronization between 2 machines that located at different time zone area. Both machine were set its time zone according to its geographical location (Eg: server is at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: python
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare time in ksh

Hi I have several variables that hold time in the following format: A=01:30 B=23:35 C=22:45 Is there a way / Unix utility which can allow the to compare those time values? Thanks a lot -A (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

time from 2 files to compare

In first file say first.txt, i have a content say 14:56. In second file, say second.txt i have content say 16:01.... I want to compare if these two times in these 2 files are having a difference of 15 minutes...Can any one please help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.b
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare dates with time

Hi Team, I need to compare three dates and extract the greatest among them into a file. 21 Jan 2012 05:46:59,146 21 Jan 2012 02:12:30,113 17 Jan 2012 09:08:10,417 Please help regarding the same. Thanks in advance..!!! Please use tags where appropriate, thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaituteja
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting string date time to unix time in AWK

I'd like to convert a date string in the form of sun aug 19 09:03:10 EDT 2012, to unixtime timestamp using awk. I tried This is how each line of the file looks like, different date and time in this format Sun Aug 19 08:33:45 EDT 2012, user1(108.6.217.236) all: test on the 17th ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkkid
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two time (HH:MM:SS) - ksh

Is it possible to compate two time (24-hour format)? What I need is to just check if the first time is earlier than the second time. ex: ./script.ksh 09:30:15 13:00:34 = okay ./script.ksh 05:25:00 02:30:50 = invalid arguments (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erin00
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Concatenate a string and number and compare that with another string in awk script

I have below code inside my awk script if ( $0 ~ /SVC IN:/ ) { svc_in=substr( $0,23 , 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) { msg_arr=$0; } } else if ( $0 ~ /^SVC OUT:/ ) { svc_out=substr( $0, 9, 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya123
6 Replies
sttime(3)                                                   ShapeTools Toolkit Library                                                   sttime(3)

NAME
stMktime, stWriteTime - date and time handling SYNOPSIS
#include <config.h> #include <sttk.h.h> time_tstMktime (char *string); char*stWriteTime (time_t date); DESCRIPTION
stMktime scans the given string and tries to read a date and time from it. It understands various formats of date strings. The following is a list of all valid formats, optional parts in brackets. [Tue] Jan 5[,] [19]93 This includes the standard asctime(3) format. Jan 5 With no year given, the year defaults to the current year. [19]93/01/05 This notation requires month and day represented by exactly two digits. 5.1.[19]93 This is the usual German notation. 5.1. German notation referencing the current year. A certain time, given together with the date must always have the following form. hours:minutes[:seconds] Each of the fields must be an integer value within the proper range (hours: 0-23, minutes and seconds: 0-59). Values below 10 may be written as one digit numbers. The time value may be placed anywhere in the date string: at the beginning, at the end, or somewhere in the middle. Any amount of white- space may be given between a field of the time value and the separating colon. The time is always considered to be local time. stWriteTime generates a time string similar to asctime(3) from its date argument. SEE ALSO
asctime(3) BUGS
Time Zone Names within the time string (like `MET') are not handled properly. In most cases they will cause a failure. sttk-1.7 Thu Jun 24 17:43:35 1993 sttime(3)